What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pies, and condiments

Incorrect

Coach
Looks like there's two pie shops in Seymour.
https://www.google.com/maps/search/pie+shop+seymour+victoria/@-37.0242772,145.1362356,17z?gl=au
Which one?

If we're setting up resource for a pie shop tour of Australia, then I'll throw in Syd's Pies at Loganholme - about halfway bwteen Brisbane and Gold Coast. Not a big shop but great pies.

People flock to the Yatala pie shop which is not far away, and pretty good pies there too. But Syd's are the best in that neck of the woods.
It was Gaffneys.

Top drawer pies...

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Love a good pie. Every time I see a small town bakery advertising “Australia/NZ/worlds best pies” I test the claim. So far the wild venison pie at Miles Better Pies in Te Anau is the king. as for condiments, none. I buy quality pies and want to taste the pie. I do like a peas, mash and gravy combo with a pie though. Usually from House of Pie in Matraville at 2am.

Coastbloke

Bench
I'm a Vilis pie man myself. Vilis have a cafe/bakery at Ourimbah on the Central Coast. They are very good.

There a pie shop at Nelson Bay that has a few very imaginative creations. I recommend a visit.. Pie in the Sky Cowan. The one in Bilpin isn't bad at all..The Woy Woy Peninsula (Woy Woy, Umina, Ettalong etc) has a plethora of pie shops, non outstanding, but the German bakery in Umina seems to win a few gongs..

Lastly, the only condiment needed is tomato sauce or nothing. Also I might try Adam's cheese add. Sounds good..

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Love a good pie. Every time I see a small town bakery advertising “Australia/NZ/worlds best pies” I test the claim. So far the wild venison pie at Miles Better Pies in Te Anau is the king. as for condiments, none. I buy quality pies and want to taste the pie. I do like a peas, mash and gravy combo with a pie though. Usually from House of Pie in Matraville at 2am.
Fantastic. So the tour now includes NZ.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I'm a Vilis pie man myself. Vilis have a cafe/bakery at Ourimbah on the Central Coast. They are very good.

There a pie shop at Nelson Bay that has a few very imaginative creations. I recommend a visit.. Pie in the Sky Cowan.

Think the one at Nelson Bay is Red Ned's, went there once many years ago and they were very nice and as you say some unusual varieties. Used to be a semi regular at Pie in the Sky at Cowan and usually their pies are good but last time we went the pies just didn't look right, it was like they had too much filling in it and had overflowed, was hungry at the time and seeing there is no where else close by to grab something to eat so still got a pie, they didn't taste anywhere near as good as usual and both of us had heart burn afterwards, it has actually put me off going again as it it is a bit of a side trip to get there.

Eelogical

Referee
I saw this dude do a KFC Zinger pie review.

He's done quite a few pie reviews, he's also looking for the best fish 'n chips. As far as pies go the best I've had in QLD since moving here from Sydney are from Kenilworth Bakery. Can't say about Sydney area but I always meant to stop in at Mountain High pies at Wentworth Falls or Robinson Pie Shop. Never got around to either.
His review of Yatala Pie Shop

Eelogical

Referee
Little Miss Angry wants to disown me.

I use soy sauce on a pie, cut the top off splash in some soy.

Un Australian she says. Along with weirdo your not my father, serious business.

She uses tomato.

Should I leave the country as she says?
I'm surprised you passed the citizenship test in the first place.

horrie hastings

First Grade
He's done quite a few pie reviews, he's also looking for the best fish 'n chips. As far as pies go the best I've had in QLD since moving here from Sydney are from Kenilworth Bakery. Can't say about Sydney area but I always meant to stop in at Mountain High pies at Wentworth Falls or Robinson Pie Shop. Never got around to either.
His review of Yatala Pie Shop

Will have to check out his fish and chips reviews. Haven't been to Moutain High pies at Wentworth Falls but I don't rate Robertson Pie shop on the two pies I have had there, mind you both times I have been was late in the day and they didn't have much left, there were a few on the menu I wanted to try but they were sold out.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Pie by itself these days thanks.

As a kid I had a ritual towards pies.

1. Take lid off
2. Add sauce
3. Put lid back on
4. Remove now sauced lid and consume
5. Mix sauce and mince, consuming with spoon
6. Add more sauce to pastry, fold and eat like a sausage roll.