What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Impact of NRL on ESL

NRLMad

Juniors
I think it will result in better players moving across. In the past it was a retirees club but I expect younger better players to start following soon. Widdop, Austin, others are good players that could make most if not all NRL teams.

How many imported players are allowed per team? I think there needs to be quotas put in place for English, Ireland, Scots Wales players to be 75%.

NRL will take the pacific soon enough. It’ll result in a huge amount of players becoming available over the next 10-15 years. These players are not AFL type players so this is almost guaranteed. On top of that, union is rapidly declining in Australia. They just don’t have the infra or money to buy all the players who come out of the nrl juggernaut.

Discuss

I think it will result in better players moving across. In the past it was a retirees club but I expect younger better players to start following soon. Widdop, Austin, others are good players that could make most if not all NRL teams.

How many imported players are allowed per team? I think there needs to be quotas put in place for English, Ireland, Scots Wales players to be 75%.

NRL will take the pacific soon enough. It’ll result in a huge amount of players becoming available over the next 10-15 years. These players are not AFL type players so this is almost guaranteed. On top of that, union is rapidly declining in Australia. They just don’t have the infra or money to buy all the players who come out of the nrl juggernaut.

Discuss
When the UK leaves the EU for good many NRL players wont meet the criteria to play in the ESL, which will basically be a international player or a SOO player, and i cant see any SOO players going are less its for big bucks and the same for the international.
In the mean time Rugby League in the UK needs to step up its junior development programs as its many light years behind ours

NRLMad

Juniors
When the UK leaves the EU for good many NRL players wont meet the criteria to play in the ESL, which will basically be a international player or a SOO player, and i cant see any SOO players going are less its for big bucks and the same for the international.
In the mean time Rugby League in the UK needs to step up its junior development programs as its many light years behind ours
How do you know what level of player constitutes the level of player who can play?

Walter sobchak

First Grade
I’ve been banging on about this for years and will continue to do so until it happens.

Radical change and approach is needed in developing junior/grassroots RL in England. it’s absolutely criminal that we have 3 English major core cities of the northern powerhouse in Liverpool, Manchester and Sheffield on RL’s doorstep and we’ve done very little if anything to develop the game of RL in those cities at grassroots level.

Don’t even get me started on other large towns like Bolton, Preston, Barnsley, Blackburn and Rotherham etc.

NRLMad

Juniors
Sure but if you can buy talent and it lifts the league profile then that flows to interest and then participation? All I am saying is if the NRL was in the UK it would get more profile than the super league. Better players better profile better money more participation...

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Sure but if you can buy talent and it lifts the league profile then that flows to interest and then participation? All I am saying is if the NRL was in the UK it would get more profile than the super league. Better players better profile better money more participation...
I don’t think that super league clubs have the money to attract the kind of players that your talking about needed to lift the profile of the game/competition.

Plus investing a serious amount of time and money developing the game and putting down firm roots in nearby expansion cities/towns is far better in the long run both in terms of unearthing new talent and fans for the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The marquee signing allowance has meant rich SL clubs can now go for the decent second tier NRL first grader, rather than the about to retire or bad boy NRL player we have been used to over the last few years. They arent going to get the $800k-$1mill star NRL player but the $400k ish player can now earn similar or a bit more in SL.

Best thing that could happen for SL signings would be for the pound to get really strong compared to the $!

Perth Red

Post Whore
2020 NRL to SL movement. I've arbitrarily rated them tier 1-4 in terms of marquee of signing based on age, ability in NRL and rep status

Sosaia Feki (Cronulla Sharks) 3
James Maloney (Penrith Panthers) 2
James Gavet (Newcastle Knights) 3
Aidan Sezer (Canberra Raiders) 2
Mahe Fonua (Wests Tigers) 3
Manu Ma’u (Parramatta Eels) 3
Tevita Satae (New Zealand Warriors) 4
Ligi Sao (New Zealand Warriors) 4
Shaun Kenny-Dowall (Newcastle Knights) 3
Matt Prior (Cronulla Sharks) 3
Gareth Widdop (St George Illawarra Dragons) 1
George Burgess (South Sydney Rabbitohs) 1

Walter sobchak

First Grade
The marquee signing allowance has meant rich SL clubs can now go for the decent second tier NRL first grader, rather than the about to retire or bad boy NRL player we have been used to over the last few years. They arent going to get the $800k-$1mill star NRL player but the $400k ish player can now earn similar or a bit more in SL.

Best thing that could happen for SL signings would be for the pound to get really strong compared to the $!
Just think where super league clubs could be if they had invested just a fraction of the money wasted on bang average and over the hill NRL players and instead pumped it into grassroots RL??

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just think where super league clubs could be if they had invested just a fraction of the money wasted on bang average and over the hill NRL players and instead pumped it into grassroots RL??

Coaches dont get resigned on how many jnrs are playing sadly. Everyone has a vested interest in short term winning mentality

coaches and players contracts get resigned
sponsors are easier to get if you're winning
crowds are bigger and of course relegation sits there as the ultimate price to pay if you don't have a good season because you didn't sign someone.

Its easy to say they should invest in Jnr's but reality is that doesn't pay the bills for a very long time, like politicians clubs are short term thinkers.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Coaches dont get resigned on how many jnrs are playing sadly. Everyone has a vested interest in short term winning mentality

crowds are bigger and of course relegation sits there as the ultimate price to pay if you don't have a good season because you didn't sign someone.

Its easy to say they should invest in Jnr's but reality is that doesn't pay the bills for a very long time, like politicians clubs are short term thinkers.
You’re right. Sadly.

Chairman should really think about this. Long term planning could reap big dividends for years to come.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You’re right. Sadly.

Chairman should really think about this. Long term planning could reap big dividends for years to come.

Other problem is you develop a good one and a richer club comes in and signs them, hardly motivating. Back in the day when clubs used to have to pay a transfer fee at least the smaller clubs got some compensation.

Pommy

Coach

firstly that’s based on visas as they stand today. There’s no real knowing what the uk government is going to do post Brexit. They already stated they were open to protecting the EPL from these changes, I doubt that would be in a narrow visa specifically aimed at football rather than sports people in general.
secondly how many players are coming in on visas tied to the EU?
I can only presume you’re talking about playing with EU grandparents etc.
I can’t see how it’s going to effect the majority who are islanders or people eligible to the UK heritage visa.

jim_57

Staff member

The very nature of England's precious Promotion & Relegation system doesn't suit developing Juniors.

deluded pom?

Coach
Other problem is you develop a good one and a richer club comes in and signs them, hardly motivating. Back in the day when clubs used to have to pay a transfer fee at least the smaller clubs got some compensation.
I agree. If a player leaves his original club that brought him through their system then they should receive some compensation. Once that player leaves then there wouldn’t be any compensation if he moves on to another club or back to his original club.