What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

nöyd

Staff member
Been watching a few LAPD/police procedural films lately, just finished watching Colors after seeing it well over 20 years ago, maybe longer. Sean Penn as the young hotshot and Robert Duvall as the "i'm too old for this shit" veteran.

Directed by Dennis Hopper, it has aged a bit, nothing in it that would be regarded as shock value these days, although seeing a young Damon Wayans dancing in his underwear with a shower cap on his head, and a large stuffed rabbit on his shoulders is definitely memorable. Also has a young Don Cheadle.

In the end it promises a lot but delivers a run-of-the-mill ending. 6/10.

EDIT: see below lol

Had a recent trip to the UK and watched a bunch of stuff.. not all listed but these are the main ones

3 x music movies (seem to be the in-genre these days)

Bohemian Rhapsody - loved it. Even on a plane screen. Hadn't seen it before then. 9/10. The best of the musicals.
Rocketman - was pretty good although the above I preferred the above. 7.5/10
Yesterday. (** SPOILER*** Sort of - For those that havent heard of it, its based around the music of the Beatles). Unique film which was brilliant in parts although I thought it fell away a bit at the end. 7/10

Others

Free Solo. Awesome, blown away. 9/10.
The Mule (Clint Eastwood) - liked it. If you liked Gran Torino I think you'd like this too. 7.5/10.
The Hustle (Anne Hathaway & Rebel Wilson). Yeah wouldnt have been my first pick to watch but I was needing something different. Not bad although it is a remake (3rd remake as it happens) of a famous comedy I wont mention here as too much of a spoiler. Really funny in parts but drops flat in others. 5/10

nöyd

Staff member
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Seeing as it was talked up so much here I think I expected a bit more, it was ok, nowhere near my fave QT movie. Pitt was the stand out, especially when he kicked Bruce Lee's ass, now I know why the Lee family had a hissy fit over it lol

PJ

First Grade
Irishman. Great acting, interesting story, but waaaaay to long.

3:20 easily could have been 2 or less.

8/10

AJB1102

First Grade
I didn't feel The Irishman dragged on, but the first 20-30 minutes trying to make near 80 year old actors out to be 30 asked a fair bit of the audience I think.

axl rose

Bench
Jumanji The Next Level- a boring rehash of the last one. The Rock trying to do Danny DeVito is cringy, not funny. 2/10

Wizardman

First Grade

Seeing as it was talked up so much here I think I expected a bit more, it was ok, nowhere near my fave QT movie. Pitt was the stand out, especially when he kicked Bruce Lee's ass, now I know why the Lee family had a hissy fit over it lol
The movies are all about make believe....Brad Pitt beating up Bruce Lee is as believable as Ben Stiller f**king Cameron Diaz in a movie....on the other hand, the Brad Pitt scenario seems more realistic.

AJB1102

First Grade
The scene when deniro was trying to bash the shop owner was cringey.

f**k, wasn't it what! They should have kept the fight inside with the long shot from across the street then just had De Niro toss a beaten man through a window or door. I wasn't sure if he was trying to kick the guy or having a fit the way he had to rev up to swing his leg.

Or Pesci's character calling a 76 year old De Niro "kid" while they fix his truck. No close ups of their arthritic old hands - probably set a record for hand models used in a movie.

How many t-shirts you reckon De Niro had on under his jacket to fill out his chest and shoulders?

myrrh ken

First Grade
Late to the party with the chick ghostbusters. It was great. Dunno what the fuss is about. Obviously lacks an original premise but better acting all round. Come at me.

simmo05

Bench
f**k, wasn't it what! They should have kept the fight inside with the long shot from across the street then just had De Niro toss a beaten man through a window or door. I wasn't sure if he was trying to kick the guy or having a fit the way he had to rev up to swing his leg.

Or Pesci's character calling a 76 year old De Niro "kid" while they fix his truck. No close ups of their arthritic old hands - probably set a record for hand models used in a movie.

How many t-shirts you reckon De Niro had on under his jacket to fill out his chest and shoulders?
Apart from that it was still a great movie, I just don't know why they couldn't have used younger actors for the really early scenes

Freaks (2019) intriguing little low budget horror flick about a girl locked in her house by her father. One of those that is best to know nothing about before going in A-
Watched last night
Agreed .
Although the first 1/2 hr is very confusing trying to work out what's going on .
After that the story unfolded & was very good .

Springs09

Juniors
Marriage Story - I haven't seen the Irishman but this is my number 1 Netflix original movie so far. Great story of lawyer and court bullshit needlessly complicating an amicable split, especially when it involves that cesspit of a place Hollywood. Adam Driver is pick of the performances so far for me, deserves Best Actor even over Joaquin Phoenix. People always notice the insane roles but its just as hard to create a regular, believable character and go through the high emotions of a personality different from your own.

Matua

Bench
Marriage Story - I haven't seen the Irishman but this is my number 1 Netflix original movie so far. Great story of lawyer and court bullshit needlessly complicating an amicable split, especially when it involves that cesspit of a place Hollywood. Adam Driver is pick of the performances so far for me, deserves Best Actor even over Joaquin Phoenix. People always notice the insane roles but its just as hard to create a regular, believable character and go through the high emotions of a personality different from your own.
I haven't seen this yet but I always prefer regular roles to the actorly roles like Joker. It's a good performance but it's all tics ... which I find is similar to most of his roles. Definitely suits the role though.

But, there's a bunch of actors out there who don't get credit for believable natural roles.

Late to the party with the chick ghostbusters. It was great. Dunno what the fuss is about. Obviously lacks an original premise but better acting all round. Come at me.
Yep, it's an ok movie that people tend to say is worse than it is for I assume reasons other than it's quality.

I thought it was a great film, but that scene was the only one that didn't ring true to me. I like to think of it as an unreliable narrator scene which makes it palatable. I thought Pitt and Leo were great.

Springs09

Juniors
Saw Knives Out last night, an enjoyable old-fashioned whodunit that doesn't take itself too seriously and has a great cast. A few annoyances though:

- A big deal is made out of the nurse being 'a good nurse' but yet after thinking she vastly overdosed the grandfather on morphine he's still completely lucid after 5 minutes and is supposed to be dead in 10. If she gave him 30x the recommended dose he'd be knocked out pretty quick.
- Annoying political discussions used to seemingly fill time with no relevance to the rest of the plot

7/10

Misanthrope

Staff member
I loved Knives Out. Solid 9/10 for me. One of my favorite flicks of 2019.

I also say Last Christmas, which was an underwhelming 4.5/10. It had a few chuckles, but it's far more serious than the previews might have indicated.