What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have the Warriors signed Tino Fa'asuamaleaui?

Rich102

Staff member
They wanted more size, and the mail is the Warriors have got their man.

Stuff understands the Kiwi club have verbally agreed to terms and landed Melbourne young gun Tino Fa'asuamaleaui, after it was first reported back in July they were chasing the 19-year-old.

The deal is understood to be all-but done. Though the particulars of exactly when Fa'asuamaleaui will lace up for the Warriors remains up in the air.

He is still signed with the Melbourne club through until the end of the 2020 season so would need to secure an early release in order to be at Mt Smart for the upcoming season.
Rival clubs have been free to formally table offers for the powerhouse youngster since November 1, and it's believed the Warriors out-bid the competition.

The contract is said to be in the ball park of about $700,000 a season for up to four years.

Fa'asuamaleaui only managed five games of first grade in his rookie campaign, but impressed scouts from several NRL outfits, including the Warriors.

At 197cm tall and more than 115kg, he is touted by many to be the next game-changing forward to come out of the Storm, following the in the foot steps of Jesse Bromwich and Nelson Asofa-Solomona.

The Warriors were approached by Stuff about the rumoured signing, but said they would not comment on any contract speculation.

Still, the word is they have got their man and pending a release from Melbourne, fans could see Fa'asuamaleaui as early as this upcoming pre-season.

It would be a huge coup for the club, who last season struggled to keep pace with some of the competition's bigger packs.

If not next year then it will be 2021, but given how much things can change in a year the Warriors will be hoping to get Fa'asuamaleaui here sooner rather than later.

The Storm are also very high on the young middle forward and have offered him an extension.

Should he get more minutes with the perennial powerhouse club in 2020 he could be convinced to stay on.

He also has a young family living with him in Melbourne.

Warriors recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan recently told The Heraldbringing in some size was a top priority for the club.

The club have just one vacant roster spot remaining ahead of next season, and Fa'asuamaleaui would certainly fit that bill.

"We are still not small, we are just not as big as some packs," O'Sullivan told The Herald.

"I could have signed three or four players in the last few months. They would have helped our squad a little bit but because we have only got one spot left in our 30, I didn't want to do that unless we were getting a player that helps our squad a lot.

"Priority wise the hooker was number one, the big edge back rower number two and probably a centre back rower would have been the third option which I really wanted to do. Next priority would be a big middle."

So far Penrith hooker Wayde Egan is the only new face in a squad that missed the finals last season.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...off-competition-for-melbourne-storm-young-gun

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
Crazy money if true. Would 200k more for an Arrow or someone been a better idea?

Anyways, if true I'm very happy, he's a back rower isn't he? Essentially from 2021 onwards hell (hopefully) be replacing Adam Blair on less coin, so that would be a huge upside.

Young hooker - check
Young, powerful back rower - check

Now I'd like to see a good half picked up to replace Green for 2021 and we're looking decent all of a sudden

Rich102

Staff member
I'm hearing this article may be more smoke than fire.
Well, this is the Warriors.
Maybe they are hoping Santa brings them a 1.97M 155Kg Christmas present but it may just be the club's xmas turkeys.
Stand by for further updates.

Crazy money if true. Would 200k more for an Arrow or someone been a better idea?

Anyways, if true I'm very happy, he's a back rower isn't he? Essentially from 2021 onwards hell (hopefully) be replacing Adam Blair on less coin, so that would be a huge upside.

Young hooker - check
Young, powerful back rower - check

Now I'd like to see a good half picked up to replace Green for 2021 and we're looking decent all of a sudden
Arrow clearly not Kiwi/Islander, so doesn't fit the bro-cess.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
He's not even a Kiwi so its not like he is coming here for family reasons, based on that I'm almost certain Bellamy/Storm will convince him to stay somehow

Diesel

Referee
I'm hearing this article may be more smoke than fire.
Well, this is the Warriors.
Maybe they are hoping Santa brings them a 1.97M 155Kg Christmas present but it may just be the club's xmas turkeys.
Stand by for further updates.
I’m not surprised. For each signing we miss, it’s another week less of Kearney at the helm

It's a done deal but for 2021. I prefer this scenario than trying to snare him for 2020. 1 more year under the Storm and not having to pay his contract out it's a win win for us. Storm can't match our offer yet though with Cameron Smith signing for 2020 perhaps his last season they can afford Tino.

waipiro

Juniors
TBH im ok with the money offered for this guy. The club sees potential and obviously wants to try and go in hard early before he starts to demand real big coin.
Bit like how they tried to lure Dylan Brown and David Fafita with big cash early. Clearly it didnt work with those guys but you have to have a crack and back your judgement.

It's a done deal but for 2021. I prefer this scenario than trying to snare him for 2020. 1 more year under the Storm and not having to pay his contract out it's a win win for us. Storm can't match our offer yet though with Cameron Smith signing for 2020 perhaps his last season they can afford Tino.
I find it interesting, why would the Storm want to put time on the field and effort off the field into him when he is guaranteed to leave?
But sad to say he would develop better under their system on current form

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
yeh, much rather have him now than later. Anything can happen between now and 2021.
I imagine the poor kid had to tell Belly, never had more butterflies I would say.

It would be unfounded, Belly would be ok with it, be all calm and understanding, but then lose interest in any development moving forward, cold shoulder just do your job till you leave thanks.

As any employer would.

Big Marn

Juniors
Signed with the Titans. We are officially the least attractive destination in the NRL.
yep.
The onus is really on the Warriors to develop their own guns. You cant tell me theres no one left in NZ that cant be NRL level. They havent all been poached and not all the families have left for Oz (though they are probably smart to do so).

In terms of popularity, i wonder what our Super League equivalent is. Hull?

Matua

Bench
yep.
The onus is really on the Warriors to develop their own guns. You cant tell me theres no one left in NZ that cant be NRL level. They havent all been poached and not all the families have left for Oz (though they are probably smart to do so).

In terms of popularity, i wonder what our Super League equivalent is. Hull?
Yup, we should never have to pick a "young" star from Oz ... unless they went there when they were 14 on a scholarship ... but obviously we're so cabbage that our young stars prefer going overseas.