What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell (officially signs with Souths 13/1/20)

Perth Red

Post Whore
I see Warriors have offered some kid whose hardly made first grade at Storm $670k a year for 4 years.
Maybe Latrell is onto something that $800k is unders?

Spot On

Coach
I see Warriors have offered some kid whose hardly made first grade at Storm $670k a year for 4 years.
Maybe Latrell is onto something that $800k is unders?

South Sydney have a winger on 750K who can't tackle but can run a bit. That's it.

Every manager in the game is doing their client a diservice if they fail to secure their backline player, let alone a 1, 6 or 7, at least that much. It makes a decent argument at the very least.

How on earth Cody Walker is prepared to take any less as a spine player is puzzling.

No wonder Mitchell believes he is a million dollar player.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
South Sydney have a winger on 750K who can't tackle but can run a bit. That's it.

Every manager in the game is doing their client a diservice if they fail to secure their backline player, let alone a 1, 6 or 7, at least that much. It makes a decent argument at the very least.

How on earth Cody Walker is prepared to take any less as a spine player is puzzling.

No wonder Mitchell believes he is a million dollar player.

There was a hope Gagai May develop in centre, hence the money. But, as you pointed out, he can’t tackle. Souths are stuck with him and he is a good winger and only over paid by a small amount

As to Cody, he is loyal to us, wants to stay and we can deliver him a premiership. That’s worth taking less for and more kudos to him

Tiger5150

Bench
There was a hope Gagai May develop in centre, hence the money. But, as you pointed out, he can’t tackle. Souths are stuck with him and he is a good winger and only over paid by a small amount

As to Cody, he is loyal to us, wants to stay and we can deliver him a premiership. That’s worth taking less for and more kudos to him

Sans Burgess & Mitchell?

adamkungl

Immortal
I think his plan the whole time was to whore himself around, then take the offers to the roosters and expect them to match it. Unfortunately for him he has played this terribly and will likely end up well paid at an unattractive proposition or paid less then his original offer at a club he said would never go too

Yep
He thought Roosters would leave 800k sitting on the table to be used as a bargaining chip by his 4 managers, wait patiently for him to come back and throw a tidy $1.1M at him to keep him.

Unfortunately, every club he's dealt with has said take it or leave it and isn't interesting in being gamed into a ridiculous offer.

Spot On

Coach

Can't agree re Gagai. Never, ever a first grade centre (obvious years ago) and on massive overs. No other way to cut that sandwich.

Cody knows his value in relation to what others in his squad are getting. Sure, there is always an argument for taking unders. But Cody aint 21 or 22 yrs old. He needs his pay day now. He's closer to the end. This will most probably be his last chance to earn some big coin.

Again, a spine player looks at a 750K winger and asks, 'Where's my coin?' That's a no brainer.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Burgess and his years of office experience will be invaluable in his admin role, and we all know premiership tilts start in the front office (except Manly).

Sam will be a great asset to the club. Anyone who does Not realise that is blinded by their own club bias or ignorance

Can't agree re Gagai. Never, ever a first grade centre (obvious years ago) and on massive overs. No other way to cut that sandwich.

Cody knows his value in relation to what others in his squad are getting. Sure, there is always an argument for taking unders. But Cody aint 21 or 22 yrs old. He needs his pay day now. He's closer to the end. This will most probably be his last chance to earn some big coin.

Again, a spine player looks at a 750K winger and asks, 'Where's my coin?' That's a no brainer.

It's not like teams are lining up to sign Cody Walker though. As far as I'm aware the only substantial offer he's received is from the Gold Coast and you need to also remember that the Gold Coast cut him loose as a younger bloke so I think there may be a bit of reluctance to go back there.

As for Gagai... He is a State of Origin rep. He may not really be living up to his value at Souths but when we signed him it was as a potential centre / fullback who had just won the origin player of the series award. You could argue that he was worth the coin at the time even though his club form for Newcastle was trash as well. I guess Souths thought that he would thrive away from the wooden spooners of the time.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Totally agree with you WOD. The way he was able to parlay his own size, toughness and skill into careers for his 3 brothers and mother shows incredible administrative ability. His poor mum though.

I like your humour but I will point out that George was massively valuable in our GF win against that mob in 2014. He steamrolled them every time he got the ball. We will be forever laughing at these dogs and their feeble attempts to tackle him in that wonderful barnstorming try.
I can still hear the stunned mullet groans of their fans that night:p

Tom?. He’s a quality front rower and will prove it again this coming season

Tiger5150

Bench
I like your humour but I will point out that George was massively valuable in our GF win against that mob in 2014. He steamrolled them every time he got the ball. We will be forever laughing at these dogs and their feeble attempts to tackle him in that wonderful barnstorming try.
I can still hear the stunned mullet groans of their fans that night:p

Tom?. He’s a quality front rower and will prove it again this coming season

What about the other merkin brother? What was his mothers actual job description? I heard she got the hardest deal of the lot of them.

Spot On

Coach
It's not like teams are lining up to sign Cody Walker though. As far as I'm aware the only substantial offer he's received is from the Gold Coast and you need to also remember that the Gold Coast cut him loose as a younger bloke so I think there may be a bit of reluctance to go back there.

As for Gagai... He is a State of Origin rep. He may not really be living up to his value at Souths but when we signed him it was as a potential centre / fullback who had just won the origin player of the series award. You could argue that he was worth the coin at the time even though his club form for Newcastle was trash as well. I guess Souths thought that he would thrive away from the wooden spooners of the time.

Most wingers in the QLD era of dominance looked like stars.

No clubs were chasing Gags either. Even Newy were happy to let him go and not pay stupid money for a winger.

You can't tell me he looked anything but inept at centre and fullback for Newy, regardless of the sides position on the ladder. He can not tackle. Fullstop.

And so it has continued at Souths to the point where Bennett has had to play him on the wing.

No way on earth was he ever worth 750K in any position. Ever.

Mistakes like that contract are helping drive other players and managers to demand massive overs.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade

If Gagai is on $750K, then he is overpaid by about $450K. Daniel Tupou is on about $250k and he is twice the Winger that Gagai is at NRL level.