What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First RL season in France. Looking for info please....

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Does anyone have the ladder results for the first French championship season in 1934/35?

I'm told it can be found in the back of Mike Rylance's great book, The Forbidden Game.

Many thanks.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Villeneuve played 18 points 49
Bordeaux played 18 points 42
Lyon Villeurbanne played 16 points 40
Roanne played 16 points 40
Pau played 16 points 34
XIII Catalan played 17 points 33
Albi played 17 points 26
Paris played 16 points 25
Cote Basque played 15 points 21
Breziers played 13 points 15

3 points for a win, 2 for a draw and 1 for a lose.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Villeneuve played 18 points 49
Bordeaux played 18 points 42
Lyon Villeurbanne played 16 points 40
Roanne played 16 points 40
Pau played 16 points 34
XIII Catalan played 17 points 33
Albi played 17 points 26
Paris played 16 points 25
Cote Basque played 15 points 21
Breziers played 13 points 15

3 points for a win, 2 for a draw and 1 for a lose.
Thank you kind sir. Was that from Forbidden Game?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yes I have the book, great read.
I can't find my copy, been too many years. I vaguely recall the reason why some teams played more games was due to logistics. What were the reasons?

Were there some draws?

Asking for a friend who is interviewing Mike Rylance tomorrow.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
I can't find my copy, been too many years. I vaguely recall the reason why some teams played more games was due to logistics. What were the reasons?

Were there some draws?

Asking for a friend who is interviewing Mike Rylance tomorrow.
Just has a look page 196 and it says:

For the first and only time in the history of French Rugby League, the championship was decided on points, Villeneuve taking the inaugural title.

Each club should have played 18 matches, playing against all the others on a home and away basis, although because of the problems associated with grounds only Villeneuve and Bordeaux managed to complete their full set of fixtures.

astreizix

Juniors
Does anyone have the ladder results for the first French championship season in 1934/35?

I'm told it can be found in the back of Mike Rylance's great book, The Forbidden Game.

Many thanks.

If you want to know all on the beginning of RL in France I recommend this recent book:

" IL ETAIT UNE FOIS LE RUGBY DE LIBERTÉ "

" ONCE UPON A TIME THE RUGBY OF FREEDOM "

It's a real mine of information, a great book of research and a huge work of archives.il_etait_une_fois_le_rugby_de_liberte_couverture.jpg

I have looked at the French Championship table for 1934/35 and unfortunately, the one above must be incorrect. If 3 points for a win / 2 draw and 1 point for a loss, then 3 clubs - Villeneuve, Albi and Paris all recorded 1 drawn match !!! As you are all aware there has to be an 'even' amount of clubs to match drawn results.
Has anyone got a copy of Mike Rylance's book, The Forbidden Game ? Apparently, the correct table is at the back of the book . Many thanks

If you want to know all on the beginning of RL in France I recommend this recent book:

It's a real mine of information, a great book of research and a huge work of archives.View attachment 34764

It's a real mine of information, a great book of research and a huge work of archives.View attachment 34764

Dear Astreizix
I have 'googled' Denis Arcas - Once upon a time the Rugby of Freedom , and I come up with nothing. Do you know how to get in touch with Denis Arcas ? Any help, is very much appreciated.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
auteur "denis arcas"

in google will bring up plenty of links if you want to chase up his recent book

you could try getting an email from secretaireradiomarseillette@gmail.com for whom he worked for at one stage, or I can see someone that is likely him in the french white pages. not sure he would speak much english though if you decided to call him.

Okay, thank you very much for this. I'm in Sydney Australia and when I google 'Denis Arcas' or ' Once upon a time - the Rugby of Freedom' , I get nothing. I will try his former employers and see if I can track him down that way. But, once again, thank you for your help.