What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke Bowden

First Grade

mxlegend99

Referee
Whether he starts or comes off the bench Tetevano will have more impact and metres next year than RCG did this year.
RCG averaged 107m in 2019.
Tetevano averaged 91m in 2019.

Tetevano has only averaged above 100 metres once in his 7 seasons of footy. I wouldn't be banking on Tetevano being a big metre eater.

He might change that in 2020. But that's a pretty big call. Be nice if you're right though. Id like to think Leota steps up too. But he probably wont get the minute.

Luke Bowden

First Grade

Tetevano has only averaged above 100 metres once in his 7 seasons of footy. I wouldn't be banking on Tetevano being a big metre eater.

He might change that in 2020. But that's a pretty big call. Be nice if you're right though. Id like to think Leota steps up too. But he probably wont get the minute.

I don’t care about his av metres, I care about his aggression. We need impact and mongrel, that’s what I hope he brings.

The yak

Juniors

I though RCG's metres from the bench were lower. I now see his metre average is higher than I seem to recall.
He had a few 50 metre games but quite a few in the 100's. Maybe the 50's stuck in my mind and I thought his average was lower.

If Tetevano starts maybe he can push his output up.

At half the price we probably have roughly the same output but with more aggression.

mxlegend99

Referee
I though RCG's metres from the bench were lower. I now see his metre average is higher than I seem to recall.
He had a few 50 metre games but quite a few in the 100's. Maybe the 50's stuck in my mind and I thought his average was lower.

If Tetevano starts maybe he can push his output up.

At half the price we probably have roughly the same output but with more aggression.
His bad games stood out more. But his inflated price inflated expectations for him too.

I just hope Tetevano doesnt try any of the soft shit he did against us in our last game against Roosters. Video referee isn't bailing out a bloke in our jersey like they did for him. I dont think players can easily change those habits either. That was an instinct to do that.

Pomoz

Bench
The short memories of people in this Forum always surprise me. Gus hasn’t responded to defend himself, but for balance lets talk about what he achieved. The semi finals 4 years out of 5. The building of an academy. Multiple lower grade titles. A role in helping refinance the club to stop it being placed into insolvency. An increase in memberships and sponsorships. How were we going before he arrived?

He certainly made plenty of bad decisions, he my view his worst being the hiring of Corey Paine as CEO. An example of his ego running rampant , but name any senior executive and I include myself in this, and they will make mistakes. As my old boss John Fletcher, the ex-CEO of Brambles said “if you aren’t making mistakes you aren’t trying hard enough”. He did qualify this by adding “you get three strikes and then you are out”.

The board don’t agree with Gould’s philosophy and they have changed direction, so be it. However, whether they are right or not is yet to be seen. We will know in five years whether they have done a better job. We can argue all we like about whether we believe in five year deals or not, or whether Maloney was a good signing. It doesn’t matter. Gus’s results are in. Now lets see what the new management team can do.

They haven’t started well, we didn’t make the semi finals. They have matched Gould’s poor recruitment of Corey Paine by hiring a coach with the worst long term record of any coach in the NRL. A mate of the GM, no less. Nepotism of the worst kind, but Gus himself was hired on the same basis so if it works out OK, it doesn’t matter. But Cleary’s record doesn’t bode well. Mediocrity beckons, or does it? Time will tell.

Lets see what happens next. They will make some bad decisions, as discussed above, everybody does. As a card carrying Panthers fan, I hope they make the right decisions enough times to make sure we are successful.

MrBlack

Juniors
The short memories of people in this Forum always surprise me. Gus hasn’t responded to defend himself, but for balance lets talk about what he achieved. The semi finals 4 years out of 5. The building of an academy. Multiple lower grade titles. A role in helping refinance the club to stop it being placed into insolvency. An increase in memberships and sponsorships. How were we going before he arrived?

He certainly made plenty of bad decisions, he my view his worst being the hiring of Corey Paine as CEO. An example of his ego running rampant , but name any senior executive and I include myself in this, and they will make mistakes. As my old boss John Fletcher, the ex-CEO of Brambles said “if you aren’t making mistakes you aren’t trying hard enough”. He did qualify this by adding “you get three strikes and then you are out”.

The board don’t agree with Gould’s philosophy and they have changed direction, so be it. However, whether they are right or not is yet to be seen. We will know in five years whether they have done a better job. We can argue all we like about whether we believe in five year deals or not, or whether Maloney was a good signing. It doesn’t matter. Gus’s results are in. Now lets see what the new management team can do.

They haven’t started well, we didn’t make the semi finals. They have matched Gould’s poor recruitment of Corey Paine by hiring a coach with the worst long term record of any coach in the NRL. A mate of the GM, no less. Nepotism of the worst kind, but Gus himself was hired on the same basis so if it works out OK, it doesn’t matter. But Cleary’s record doesn’t bode well. Mediocrity beckons, or does it? Time will tell.

Lets see what happens next. They will make some bad decisions, as discussed above, everybody does. As a card carrying Panthers fan, I hope they make the right decisions enough times to make sure we are successful.

as usual Pomoz lots of level headed logic here.

for me end of the day it was semi finals 4 out of 5 years. Hard to argue with that success. I had some great weeks on the back of all of those wins.

franklin2323

Immortal

Where to start. The only constant under Gus was himself. Lets look at CEO Phil Moss, Pascoe, Payne there were a few others in 8 years that is too many CEO’s.

4 coaches in that time. Every year a different spine. Player turnover crazy levels. Cap destroyed.

Does anyone he believe that Belmore trial was the 1st and only time Hook and Gus clashed?
yet he is re-signed

money was handed out like it is Monoply money under Gus.

This model seems much better whether those in the know are the right fit is the question

MrBlack

Juniors

additionally - i always tell my staff i have 2 rules

1. You cant learn without making mstakes
2. Dont make the same mistake twice.

franklin2323

Immortal
as usual Pomoz lots of level headed logic here.

for me end of the day it was semi finals 4 out of 5 years. Hard to argue with that success. I had some great weeks on the back of all of those wins.

On the field I think was despite the front office not because of it. It never felt like it was building to me that whole time

MrBlack

Juniors
Where to start. The only constant under Gus was himself. Lets look at CEO Phil Moss, Pascoe, Payne there were a few others in 8 years that is too many CEO’s.

4 coaches in that time. Every year a different spine. Player turnover crazy levels. Cap destroyed.

Does anyone he believe that Belmore trial was the 1st and only time Hook and Gus clashed?
yet he is re-signed

money was handed out like it is Monoply money under Gus.

This model seems much better whether those in the know are the right fit is the question

yeah but we won more games than we lost. Im a fan. I dont care about the back office or if the books are balanced. All i ask for is a win

MrBlack

Juniors
On the field I think was despite the front office not because of it. It never felt like it was building to me that whole time
It came close then it fell appart Which was disappointing. feels too soon to rebuild again but lets see what 2020 brings

franklin2323

Immortal
yeah but we won more games than we lost. Im a fan. I dont care about the back office or if the books are balanced. All i ask for is a win

Most fans are like that but from a club point of view is losing multiple millions to make week 2 of the finals good value for money? It clearly got to stage that it wasn’t so changes got made

franklin2323

Immortal
Maloney should have been the golden goose but they just couldnt gel. Hopfully we see the potential in 2020

He would of been if we had a stable team around him. No Wallace and Edwards getting hurt didn’t help. The key will be how he rubbed off on others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts