What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rich v Poor

insert.pause

First Grade
In the past few months we have seen Souths payout million dollar contracts to retire two injury prone marquee players and today we have reports that they will pay “cash” to the Titans to poach Jai Arrow early.

So in a competition with both a salary & football department cap we have a club advantaged to the tune of millions over a club like the Titans.

Jai Arrow could be a Bunny by Christmas. The Titans may get an Origin star and cash in return

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/f0f03de174e885cdb003ab7358ed0a7b

Souths have been a very successfully run club since Russell Crowe and Holmes a Court took over years ago.

Many other clubs should aspire to the same levels of professionalism as Souths. Then they may have the same successes in revenue and results on the park. Same goes for the Storm and Roosters. Many despise these clubs for their own reasons but I have the utmost of respect for how professionally run they are.

Pommy

Coach
That cash needs to be included in souffs salary cap

the clue is in the name ‘salary cap’ this isn’t a salary so it doesn’t need to at all.
players should be seen as assets for sale like other sports. If clubs have wealthy benefactors it allows wealth to be injected in to less well off teams.

TheFrog

Coach
I for one am sick of souffs and their cheque book rugby league ethos.

We need more battlers clubs like the roosters.
Be careful what you wish for.

the clue is in the name ‘salary cap’ this isn’t a salary so it doesn’t need to at all.
players should be seen as assets for sale like other sports. If clubs have wealthy benefactors it allows wealth to be injected in to less well off teams.

The trouble with having open slather on TPA's is that it makes the salary cap pointless, which is pretty much where we are right now.

Last edited:
By successful you mean sugar daddies putting their own money into the club ?

Assume this was a question for me?

No, I don’t mean that. I mean professionals taking over and running a club. irrespective of private investment or “sugar daddies”.

Example. Crowe and Holmes a Court versus Nathan Tinkler. Big difference in how both these clubs fared from being bought.

insert.pause

First Grade
...and in Titans salary cap as well presumably

not unless it’s being used to sign a player, which is why it should be included in Souths cap, they are financially inducing the titans to release a player that they want to sign, something not all clubs have the capacity to do. The Titans could use the money to break even or pay for marketing, there’s no on field disadvantage to other clubs.

insert.pause

First Grade
Souths have been a very successfully run club since Russell Crowe and Holmes a Court took over years ago.

Many other clubs should aspire to the same levels of professionalism as Souths. Then they may have the same successes in revenue and results on the park. Same goes for the Storm and Roosters. Many despise these clubs for their own reasons but I have the utmost of respect for how professionally run they are.
It’s not a knock on Souths, they are just exploiting the system. If every club had money there wouldn’t be a problem, but they don’t, that’s why we have salary caps & football department caps.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Be careful what you wish for.

The trouble with having open slather on TPA's is that it makes the salary cap pointless, which is pretty much where we are right now.

TPA’s are less than 10% of cap for the biggest and nearer 1-2% of cap value for majority of clubs. It isn’t really making the cap pointless. I’d also suggest the legit TPA’s are the star players, I’m more suss about the no names getting $50k TPA’s for doing nothing. For real transparency we should be able to see who is getting what from who for what job they are doing.
If anything I’d love to see all clubs TPA’s at around $1mill and nrl players on every second advert I see, it would be a positive sign that the games profile has broken away from its lower class, two state paradigm.

Pommy

Coach
not unless it’s being used to sign a player, which is why it should be included in Souths cap, they are financially inducing the titans to release a player that they want to sign, something not all clubs have the capacity to do. The Titans could use the money to break even or pay for marketing, there’s no on field disadvantage to other clubs.

why should money not being paid as a salary being included in a salary cap?
I’m pretty sure it’s a rule but it’s flat out dumb.

You can’t have it both ways either, if this money is going to be used so Titans could break even the advantage is that they can maximise their cap and get an onfield advantage they shouldn’t otherwise have had.

Latest posts