What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

Travitoh

First Grade
I heard Roberts was on about 450k.

Talk was we had 28 of our top 30 signed a few weeks ago with 250k spare in the cap, add Sam’s 1.2mil and if we move AJ on for about 350k we have say 1.7mil spare, should be plenty to sign Arrow and Latrell for 2020 and get a minimum wage player to take our last 1-2 spots in our top 30.

You could be right re Roberts, but still something doesn’t quite add up to me, but Richo and co could have their eyes on a greater prize like Addo Carr for 21 onwards for example etc......

Souths had 29 contracted players before Sam was confirmed as a medical retirement.
Also got to remember both AJ and Gagai have been paid 1/6th of their yearly salary which counts towards the cap, plus any potential transfer fee for Arrow i believe.

Cronulla have signed Sorensen so that option has gone. Big Tino from Melbourne has signed with Titans so they are getting ready for life after Arrow. In a salary cap environment these types of moves have to be made to flick the switch on the next round of signings.

Tino is currently contracted to join in 2021. Still a Melbourne player in 2020 at this point.

Rabbits20

Immortal
So if the Titans want a player swap with us really we could only release a back like Allan or Gagai you’d reckon, getting one of them to go there though could be a problem.

So last I heard we had 28 players in our squad for 2020, if we release AJ and say Gagai/Allan and bring in Latrell and Arrow we would still need to find 2 more players for our top 30 as well, maybe one of those would be Patrick Mago, I have no idea.........

Peter Quinn

Juniors
@Peter Quinn so it mustn’t have been Sorensen you saw training with us, someone told you the wrong thing as he’s extending with Cronulla.

Below is an article re the 2mil 3 year deal for big Tino to Titans:

That’s a gamble by the Titans on Tino, I’d say that really makes me confident we can soon say welcome aboard Arrow!

Just re-read it, bugger Tino isn’t going there til 2021, we may have to wait for Arrow.
Nah mate, it was Sorenson alright.

Travitoh

First Grade
This was a copy and paste job from NRL.com when all the first grade squads for clubs were revealed a month ago.

1 Corey Allan 2020 2021
2 Tom Amone 2020
3 Sam Burgess* 2020 2021 2022 2023
4 Thomas Burgess 2020 2021 2022 2023
5 Braidon Burns 2020 2021
6 Damien Cook 2020 2021 2022 2023
7 Joshua Cook 2020 2021
8 Troy Dargan 2020 2021
9 Cory Dennis 2020
10 Kurt Dillon 2020
11 Adam Doueihi 2020 2021
12 Dane Gagai 2020 2021
13 Bryson Goodwin 2020
14 Campbell Graham 2020 2021
15 Dean Hawkins 2020 2021
16 Alex Johnston 2020
17 Liam Knight 2020
18 Keaon Kolomatangi 2020 2021
19 Ethan Lowe 2020 2021
20 Steven Marsters 2020
21 Cameron Murray 2020 2021
22 Mark Nicholls 2020 2021
23 Adam Reynolds 2020 2021
24 James Roberts 2020 2021
25 Ky Rodwell 2020
26 Bayley Sironen 2020
27 Jaydn Su'A 2020 PO
28 Tevita Tatola 2020 2021
29 Cody Walker 2020

Souths have since recieved dispensation for Sam Burgess, leaving them with 28 contracted players for 2020.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Cheers for that Travitoh that’s what I thought mate as I said above earlier today, I was certain it was 28 players currently.

Travitoh

First Grade
Just to put it out there, the salary cap is at approx $9.4m with $3.16m committed to minimum salaries in 2020.

The reality is that clubs have $6.24m to negotiate with across 30 players, averaging a little over $200k + minimum salary per player!
If someone is earning $1m, there is $5.34m to negotiate with across 29 - an average of approx $185k per player + minimum salary.

If R20's figures are around the mark, $4.4m of the salary cap is already accounted for in the 2020 season by minimum salaries and player payments so far, with another $750k to be paid out at the turn of the year.

The flipside to that is the longer it takes for Mitchell or Arrow to join, the 'more' Souths can offer for 2020 without impacting the salary cap.
$800k across 12 months = $67k per month.
$800k across 9 months = $89k per month.

Sometimes it literally pays to wait.

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
I thought it was 9.6mil for 2020 Travitoh, but you’re probs right, I’ll take your word for it!

Anyone know when it goes up to 9.6mil? Is that in 21?

Glad you understand it all mate, I do too an extent but not that extent!

If we had say 6 players on minimum wage which is 125k wouldn’t that mean 750k all up for those 6 players, eg Rodwell, Cook, Koloamatangi etc....

That’d leave us 24 players left for the remaining 8.6mil? That according to me is roughly 350k per player?

I thought minimum wage was 125k, but maybe it’s 110k?

I did read the longer it takes to decide the more of the contract the opposing team has to pay their player for 2020 onwards, eg Rorters if they let Latrell go to us have to pay him for Nov, Dec and Jan........

Travitoh

First Grade
I thought it was 9.6mil for 2020 Travitoh, but you’re probs right, I’ll take your word for it!

Anyone know when it goes up to 9.6mil? Is that in 21?

Glad you understand it all mate, I do too an extent but not that extent!

If we had say 6 players on minimum wage which is 125k wouldn’t that mean 750k all up for those 6 players, eg Rodwell, Cook, Koloamatangi etc....

That’d leave us 24 players left for the remaining 8.6mil? That according to me is roughly 350k per player?

I thought minimum wage was 125k, but maybe it’s 110k?

I did read the longer it takes to decide the more of the contract the opposing team has to pay their player for 2020 onwards, eg Rorters if they let Latrell go to us have to pay him for Nov, Dec and Jan........

https://www.nrl.com/operations/integrity/salary-cap/

This is where i took numbers from. Minimum salaries should be accurate. The salary cap itself was an estimation, it will be at $9.7m by 2022.

callmack1

Staff member
From Sporting News,

South Sydney Rabbitohs five-eighth Cody Walker enjoying leadership role as captaincy position remains vacant

Following the retirement of superstar forward Sam Burgess, the South Sydney Rabbitohs captaincy has remained up in the air but it now appears it is down to three men following Cody Walker's extension.

Walker, Adam Reynolds and Damien Cook are the front-runners for the job in 2020 as the cardinal and myrtle prepare for life without Burgess, Greg Inglis and John Sutton.

With three legends of the club all gone, Walker understands it is time for new leaders to stand up and is enjoying having that responsibility next year and beyond.

“Whoever gets the job I do believe we will support that person to the best of our ability and help out wherever we can," he told Nine News.

“It’s something I am really enjoying, being classed as a leader...obviously I have got a lot more growth in me.

"I dare say I will be giving Sam a ring once a week just to get his opinion on things."

Walker has signed a two-year extension that will keep him at the club until the end of the 2022 season, despite interest from rival NRL clubs for 2021 and beyond.

In 2019 his game rose to new heights and he secured a State of Origin berth for NSW - and its his love of the club and a major off-field decision that has contributed to such form.

“It was such an honour to debut here, let alone play over 50 games and now re-signing until end of 2022," he said.

"My missus grew up two streets away from Redfern Oval, so it didn’t take me long to really love the club and love being a part of the club.

“I made up a decision to give up alcohol from the start of last season, and I lasted about 3 months.

"Over the last few weeks I have done the same decision. I’m going to see if I can go for longer this time."

While Walker, Reynolds and Cook are all leading the way in terms of leadership, the widely-held belief among NRL fans and experts is that Cameron Murray will be captain of the club in a few years time.

And with the three candidates for 2020 all in their late-20s, the 21-year old Murray could be skipper sooner rather than later - and there are plenty tipping him for even higher honours.

Go Bunnies

Juniors
I’m going to go out on a limb here and state that there will be NO announcement of AJ to Tigers today as there has been zero discussion between AJ and Tigers.
It’s been pure media speculation and you have all fallen for the idiotic rumours that circulate at this time of year.
Not sure what’s happening with Latrell or Arrow though.

Mixo Joe

Juniors
I’m going to go out on a limb here and state that there will be NO announcement of AJ to Tigers today as there has been zero discussion between AJ and Tigers.
It’s been pure media speculation and you have all fallen for the idiotic rumours that circulate at this time of year.
The Telecrap and Andrew Webster on BSB said that Arrows contract to souths could be finalized as early as today. Mitchell however is still in a state of flux!!

Rabbit toes

First Grade
It’s the off season so of course AJ has been linked to another club

Rabbits20

Immortal
Well the Tigers are said to be announcing a finisher on their wing today apparently, has to be either Addo Carr or AJ.......

If Latrell comes AJ will leave I’ve been told.

Go Bunnies

Juniors
Well the Tigers are said to be announcing a finisher on their wing today apparently, has to be either Addo Carr or AJ.......

If Latrell comes AJ will leave I’ve been told.
He has a contract for next year - he doesn’t have to go anywhere if he doesn’t want to.
If Latrell comes, Souths can’t just push a contracted player out.