What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Spot On

Coach
Is this positive or negative for the club?

Looking at his last 3 positions - Us, Gold Coast and at the NRL, I can't see any long or short term success. Obviously that is a little harsh considering it has been a hit and run job here.

The press release from the club indicated he had set up structures for both jnr and snr footy. Oversaw a new coach appointment.

He also completed a review of club operations.

Years ago he was paid to do a massive review into the NSW Origin set up to fix it.

That was in 2010. NSW won 1 series in the 7 years following that review.

Last edited:

Frederick

Staff member
Looking at his last 3 positions - Us, Gold Coast and at the NRL, I can't see any long or short term success. Obviously that is a little harsh considering it has been a hit and run job here.

The press release from the club indicated he had set up structures for both jnr and snr footy. Oversaw a new coach appointment.

He also completed a review of club operations.

Years ago he was paid to do a massive review into the NSW Origin set up to fix it.

That was in 2010. NSW won 1 series in the 7 years following that review.
Outside of "cut the brake lines of cam Smith, Cooper Cronk, Jono Thurston and Billy Slater", what else was he supposed to recommend?

QLD fielded the greatest team in the history of origin, there's f**k all a review can do about that

Spot On

Coach
https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...0db3949ac?sv=fb9e7878189e4834a0f9b869929d3aae

Brian Canavan on mission to resurrect NSW

Steve Gee, DailyTelegraph
June 24, 2010 12:00am

BRIAN Canavan is no Tom Cruise, but he's just been lumbered with a Mission Impossible.
The former Sydney Roosters CEO has been installed as chief Toad Buster in an audacious plan to finally end five years of Queensland State of Origin domination.

Canavan will lead an independent and wide-ranging review of the NSW Origin program.

The sweeping audit will cover all areas from the coaching set-up to the need for establishing a high-performance unit. Canavan will interview all players and staff members involved in the 2010 series with the new framework targeted for completion by November.

The Blues hope to appoint a new coach by the end of the year to give Craig Bellamy's successor maximum time to prepare for the 2011 series.

Canavan's appointment comes two years after walking away from the Roosters and he's confident he has what it takes to turn around the Blues' fortunes.

"Nothing's impossible," Canavan told The Daily Telegraph.

"We just have to work from the bottom up."

Under the review Canavan will be tasked with examining:

* THE viability and operations of a high-performance unit;

* TEAM planning and preparation, including staffing and management structure;

* TEAM selection, camp operations and schedules, player mentoring and welfare; and

* DEVELOPMENT pathways and financial operations.

Canavan said examining the coaching structure was a central plank, but it was too early to determine whether following Queensland's lead with a non-NRL coach was the right direction.

"It may work. It may not work for NSW," he said.

"We have to see what is most viable for our state."

We all wish you were in charge of the NSWRL in 2010 Fred. You would have saved them a lot of money.

Hopefully his review at Newy provides us with a little more success over the next 7 yrs.

You forgot to mention the profound effect he had in his last two jobs before us - Gold Coast and the NRL.

Anyone want to start the excuses. Fred?

Spot On

Coach
... just like you need new material bud.

Says you with 26000 posts.

I'm glad I can be a pain in your arse. An absolute pleasure.

Frederick

Staff member
So you're saying that Canavan is a failure because he conducted a review into NSW operations and they couldn't win a series as a result of that?

Again, and I'll spell it out for you slowly since you're clearly a bit thick, they...were...up... against...the...greatest...team...in...origin...history.

And it's not like NSW had any scrubs for coaches at the time...Graham Murray, Ricky Stuart and even Craig Bellamy.

It wouldn't matter how much money or resources were thrown at the NSW team, they were up against rare greatness

Spot On

Coach
Hey Fred

The sky isnt falling in buddy.

Chillax.

1 from 7 in a 2 horse race after massive review into operations = horse shit.

Would love to read the 'selection policy' recommendations handed down. Wonder if it explicitly stated 'Bozzo to select who ever he wants no matter how bad they are'?

Or 'continue selection of Roosters half is vital even after countless poor performances and murder of five man overlaps and inabilty to kick ball with foot at times'?

Knight Vision

First Grade
Would love to read the 'selection policy' recommendations handed down. Wonder if it explicitly stated 'Bozzo to select who ever he wants no matter how bad they are'?

Or 'continue selection of Roosters half is vital even after countless poor performances and murder of five man overlaps and inabilty to kick ball with foot at times'?
it's not often I agree with you :rolleyes: N.S.W selections were highly dubious at best. Bozo the Clown had way too much sway and Pearce's selection was mind numbingly stupid, his failure to target Thurston when he was incapacitated with only 1 arm did my head in. Not in any way shape or form a big game player, never has been and never will be. Let us all pray to our chosen sky daddy that O'brien unearths a star 5/8.

Spot On

Coach
No way man.

Just tune out if it bothers you.

Clearly it doesn't though.

You are keeping up really well.

The herd is beginning to gather. Two more posters to go and we can have a stampede!!!!!

Rock on brother!

Last edited:

Frederick

Staff member
Last edited by @Spot On well after he made the post

Stop burnin bruv...don’t let this forum bother you
It all makes sense now... I just had a read through the forest thread in 4C and saw Spot On quoting the written works of Peta Credlin and Miranda Divine...Spot On was clearly dropped on his head multiple times as an infant.

Yosh

Coach
Saw somewhere that Brock Lamb might come and play in the Newcastle RL? Didn't he reject a really good deal when we offered one? Big fall from grace if he is the guy I'm thinking about.

aqua_duck

Coach
Saw somewhere that Brock Lamb might come and play in the Newcastle RL? Didn't he reject a really good deal when we offered one? Big fall from grace if he is the guy I'm thinking about.
Yep from memory he was offering a 3 year deal in the $250-$300k a year range, his genius of a manager turned it down and encouraged Lamb to 'back himself' which ultimate didnt turn out too well and now he's been getting 1 year minimum wage/development deals to play park footy. Probably one of the worst career decisions I can remember

Yosh

Coach
Yep from memory he was offering a 3 year deal in the $250-$300k a year range, his genius of a manager turned it down and encouraged Lamb to 'back himself' which ultimate didnt turn out too well and now he's been getting 1 year minimum wage/development deals to play park footy. Probably one of the worst career decisions I can remember

Basically threw away a million dollars...

ryana87

Juniors
Kalyn Ponga has officially split with his manager Wayde Rushton, opening the door for the Knights to kick-start negotiations to re-sign the dynamic young fullback to a longer term contract.

Ponga's father Andre announced the split via text message on Sunday, revealing it was finalised last week after four months of private talks. It's understood Ponga's contract with Rushton was due to expire in October.

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads

The terms of the separation will not be made public.

"The managing situation is now resolved with [a] confidential separation and [we are] looking forward to moving on," the message read.

"Because of the last four months experience, we now have decided to move in a different direction."

Only last week, Knights CEO Phil Gardner told the Newcastle Herald that extending Ponga's contract beyond the end of 2021 was the number one recruitment priority for the club.

"KP [Ponga] and the family know exactly what we'd like to do and where we stand on it," he said. "We have had those discussions with them. They've got to resolve where they see his future and how long an extension would be and what it would look like.

"They are a very honourable family. KP's not like these other guys saying I'm not going to play unless I get extra. He's a great kid."

Ironically, there is talk another of Rushton's high profile clients, Roosters centre Latrell Mitchell, is also leaving his management.

On the move: Star Newcastle Knights fullback Kalyn Ponga has severed ties with his manager Wayde Rushton. Picture: Jonathan Carroll.

The Ponga split comes as no surprise.

There was speculation late last season that all was not well between the Ponga family and Rushton, who negotiated his original $2.4 million four year deal that brought him to Newcastle as one of the game's highest paid teenagers.

It only intensified last August after Rushton met with Knights officials to discuss a new deal and reportedly asked for a new four year contract worth $6 million.

Ponga was slammed on social media for being greedy despite having no knowledge of the meeting or the alleged contract terms. Privately, it's understood the family were left fuming.

Less than two months earlier, Ponga's father told the Newcastle Herald: "We are very comfortable with where it's at with KP and the club. It's not about money - it never has been. He is happy, the girls [mum Adine and sister Kayley] are happy, I'm happy. There is no hurry to do anything. He still has another two years to go after this season."

There are suggestions Andre, who works fulltime as a coal-miner, could take over his son's affairs now that he has cut ties with Rushton but nothing has been confirmed.

# KNIGHTS coach Adam O'Brien has confirmed halfback Mitchell Pearce will again lead the side in 2020 after his captaincy was criticised late last season.

"I could not be happier with Mitchell's leadership both on and off the field since I arrived at the club," O'Brien said.

Silent Knight

First Grade
Ponga was slammed on social media for being greedy despite having no knowledge of the meeting or the alleged contract terms. Privately, it's understood the family were left fuming.

And yet so many pub heroes around these parts thought Ponga was greedy and had an overinflated opinion of himself.

When I met Kalyn all I saw was a humble, well mannered, easy-going young bloke...

Latest posts