What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Witcher

Misanthrope

Staff member
Has anybody jumped in early and started watching this new one on Netflix?

While I've dabbled in all three games, I never sunk much time into them, but I do love me some Henry Cavill when he's not being forced to play Superman.

It isn't going to be Netflix's Game of Thrones like they might have hoped - at least, not at first glance. The CGI is decent, the action scenes, music, and settings are all wonderfully done, and there are some terrific performances - but the dialogue is a bit on the nose and it feels more Vikings than Game of Thrones.

That's not a bad thing, but anybody expecting this to be as deep or as well-written as GoT might end up disappointed.

For me, I'm keen as for the next episode. If only it weren't already 2am.

axl rose

Bench
Has anybody jumped in early and started watching this new one on Netflix?

While I've dabbled in all three games, I never sunk much time into them, but I do love me some Henry Cavill when he's not being forced to play Superman.

It isn't going to be Netflix's Game of Thrones like they might have hoped - at least, not at first glance. The CGI is decent, the action scenes, music, and settings are all wonderfully done, and there are some terrific performances - but the dialogue is a bit on the nose and it feels more Vikings than Game of Thrones.

That's not a bad thing, but anybody expecting this to be as deep or as well-written as GoT might end up disappointed.

For me, I'm keen as for the next episode. If only it weren't already 2am.
Finished the first episode. I don't know anything about the games or books. Didn't find it very accessible for newcomers. Probably give it another try but seems it won't be for me.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Finished the first episode. I don't know anything about the games or books. Didn't find it very accessible for newcomers. Probably give it another try but seems it won't be for me.

There was definitely a bit of a learning curve, but I seem to remember Game of Thrones being the same for a lot of people who hadn't read the books.

I'm hoping that the ensuing episodes will go a little lighter on the exposition and just let the world reveal itself to viewers through action and the story proper.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I feel like episode two had a much better flow to it. Still some annoying exposition dumps (which the bard lampshaded), but the three stories had a unified theme and there were some really fun moments in there.

“Toss a coin to your Witcher, oh valley of plenty” has been in my head all morning.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I am up to ep 4.

No f**king idea whats going on really.

I did realise it was Superman, bothed me for 20 mins, but knew that chin.

mongoose

Coach
Finished Ep 3... hope it gets better. It's slow, so, so slow and full of exposition. The significance of Yennifer isn't really clear, yet they spend so much time with her. I noticed critics haven't been too kind on it...

Exsilium

First Grade
Finished Ep 3... hope it gets better. It's slow, so, so slow and full of exposition. The significance of Yennifer isn't really clear, yet they spend so much time with her. I noticed critics haven't been too kind on it...

Having read the books, it would have taken several seasons to define each character and their involvement.

Netflix renewed for season 2 which to me, suggests that season one is a crash course in the characters and their connections.

The books are slow to start but the relationship arc between Yennifer and Geralt is the main one. They share a common purpose which may become evident toward the end of this season.

jargan83

Coach
Haven't read any of the books or played any of the games but I'm interested in this so hopefully I'll check it out at some stage while on leave over the next 3 weeks

Misanthrope

Staff member
I think the best thing I did was tell my wife to expect something akin to Xena or Vikings, rather than the inevitable Game of Thrones comparisons it has been drawing.

The Witcher books and games are far more pulpy than A Song of Fire & Ice, so it's a dangerous comparison to draw. If you go in expect grimdark swords and sorcery, it's a much more enjoyable ride.

We just wrapped up episode four last night and loved the timelines finally being (somewhat) explained. Geralt's deadpan delivery of a single "f**k" every episode is one of my favourite things.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I watched it all, still not sure what is happening.

Dwarfs always get a bad wrap, monsters, mages, dragons are not real, dwarfs are and always get a bad gig.

I think it is something about the blonde girl.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I hear ya.

Here is a breakdown of episode 1 which might help.

I'm not sure why they decided to have things spread out across three timelines, beyond the fact they needed to establish Geralt and Yennifer before they encountered Ciri.

If I'd had my way, I'd have focused solely on Geralt and Yennifer this season, and introduced Ciri in the conclusion of the season.

This would not only make the events of episode one more dramatic (as we'd grown attached to certain characters), but also could have avoided the confusing time jumps.