What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Movie Thread

Kilkenny

Coach
Hunt for the Wilderpeople fans should note it is on Foxtel 2.pm.

If you haven’t seen this movie you need to do yourself a favour it is brilliant.

BxTom

Bench
Daniel Day Lewis is probably the greatest actor of his generation, if not all time. You watch a movie he is in and you don't even know it's him playing it until the credits roll. If it's Pacino or De Niro, you know it's them. 3 Oscars and 3 nominations, Day Lewis is unbelievably good.
I'll meet your Daniel Day Lewis and raise you a Spencer Tracy! Similar trait insofar as you can be watching a movie and all of a sudden you realise it's Spencer Tracy.

franklin2323

Immortal
Thats what makes life interesting, one man's epic is another man's Howard the Duck.

I thought Rocketman was brilliantly creative and captured the genius of Elton John, more than Bohemian Rhapsody did for Freddie Mercury. Don't get me wrong, Bohemian Rhapsody was well acted and mimed and Rami Malek did a great job at mimicking Mercury. But Egerton sung all the songs as well as having to act. The scenes with Elton's father were just brilliant and gave true insight into Elton's character. I thought Rhapsody just told the story without really getting to the heart of what Freddie was about. Rocketman gave us insight into what made John like he is.

It showed Elton for Elton but didn’t really give an insight into the song meanings or anything I thought.

Rhasody was about a band so I guess couldn’t go into that individual stuff

ACTPanthers

Bench
There’s nothing like a good movie or book to lose yourself in. Whether it be a great plot, with twists and turns that constantly leave you guessing, or a more character centric experience, where you watch/read because you genuinely feel a connection with the characters, and want to experience whatever journey they’re embarking on. No matter your mood or situation, there’s a movie or book out there for you.

As stated, Harvey is my all time favourite movie. As a very character driven plot, I immediately connected with Stewart’s Elwood P Dowd. As a hopeless, but extremely kind hearted drunk, he is believable and heartfelt. Just can’t recommend this movie enough.

For nostalgia, I LOVE The Never Ending Story. I read the book and watched the movie at least 50 times each when younger. (The book is monumentally better, but that’s standard really).

Other in my must see list are:

* Dog Day Afternoon
* Shawshank Redemption
* Rear Window
* Blade Runner
* The Godfather
* Apocalypse Now
* Schindlers List
* Casablanca (this one is because I read and LOVED the original stage play “Everyone Comes to Ricks”. Any one who wants a great read and hasn’t already, read this if you can find it).

Anyway, that’s just my list. Everyone has different tastes.

Now as a literary buff, I am really looking forward to the film adaptations of Jane Austin’s Emma, and Louisa Alcott’s Little Women. Little Women has been done before, but this one should be great.

Dave's mate

Juniors
I currently watch Shrek at least once a day, my son is completely obsessed. Won't even allow any of the sequels

MugaB

Coach
Office space.
Idiocracy. (Mike judge is a genius)
Super trooper 1 & 2.
Old school.
Pootie Tang
What we do in the shadows.
Can't go past the cult comedies

Boondock Saints.
Reservoir dogs.
World war Z.
Winter Soldier.
Guardians of the Galaxy.
Some of my favs to watch on a lazy sunday arvo.

ACTPanthers

Bench
For those who mentioned Rear Window, what did you think of Christopher Reeve’s remake? I think it was released back in the late 90s.
Was not a fan... Daryl Hannah was always good to watch, but their attempt to modernise it took a lot away in my opinion. The suspense was diminished somehow.

Pomoz

Bench
I like the The Untouchables movie with Sean Connery and Kevin Costner.
Fantastic musical score by Ennio Morricone.
His music is brilliant. I loved his music for the "Fistful of Dollar" spaghetti westerns too. The music and Clint Eastwood was brilliant. The "Good the Bad and the Ugly" theme tune is fantastic.

In a Fistful of Dollars, I love the scene where Clint rides into town and pauses at the undertakers and still sat on his horse, turns to the undertaker and says "get three coffins ready". Clint rides on, mayhem ensues and then he rides back out of town pausing at the undertakers again. "My mistake, four coffins" and on he rides. The man with no name. Classic.

Pomoz

Bench
I'll meet your Daniel Day Lewis and raise you a Spencer Tracy! Similar trait insofar as you can be watching a movie and all of a sudden you realise it's Spencer Tracy.
Good one, Spencer Tracey is also a brilliant actor and was nominated 9 times for two wins. I wouldn't say he is better, hard to compare different era's, but we are lucky to to see two such great talents.

Panther Mick

Juniors
His music is brilliant. I loved his music for the "Fistful of Dollar" spaghetti westerns too. The music and Clint Eastwood was brilliant. The "Good the Bad and the Ugly" theme tune is fantastic.

In a Fistful of Dollars, I love the scene where Clint rides into town and pauses at the undertakers and still sat on his horse, turns to the undertaker and says "get three coffins ready". Clint rides on, mayhem ensues and then he rides back out of town pausing at the undertakers again. "My mistake, four coffins" and on he rides. The man with no name. Classic.

The man is a master.
I love his music in the spaghetti westerns. It can be soft and moving then it builds up to the explosive climax.

I love James Horner's score in Braveheart.

Hans Zimmer is pretty good too.

TheFrog

Coach
For example, Sharknado is terribly conceived, acted, produced and has special effects barely better than the "Flash Gordon" detergent bottle on a wire with a sparker stuck in the back. But what fun.
Sharknado is an absolute classic of its kind. Piranhas too, and of course Anaconda with J-Lo and Kari Wuhrer of Red Alert non-fame (my son played this at around its target age of 11-12 and was suitably enthralled, but I digress).

TheFrog

Coach
  • The Fly (both versions are good value)
  • The Abominable Dr Phibes (the follow up not so good despite the appearance of Mirrorbird Valli Kemp). Also Theatre of Blood which is often considered Dr Phibes III. All starring the inimitable Vincent Price at his very best.
  • Bloodbath at the House of Death- who could go past the title. It's a pisstake all of it, and sadly misunderstood. Kenny Everett and the magnificent Kiwi Pamela Stephenson. Every movie so far has featured Vincent Price. In this he discusses burning twigs, which are little pieces of wood {edit: this sentence was auto moderated- you have to watch it to know what I mean).
  • The Trouble With Girls- Elvis- OK its not really very good, in fact it's quite bizarre and not much like an Elvis movie at all but it has Vincent Price as well. Price and Elvis never appear in the same scene.
  • Dr Strangelove and Catch 22 (mentioned in another thread)
  • The King of Comedy (Scorsese's best work just edging out The Last Temptation of Christ). A very black comedy, in fact not really a comedy at all. Jerry Lewis plays a straight role while DeNiro plays a determined nut case. DeNiro's finest performance IMHO. Sandra Bernhardt is also incredible. No other actress could have played her role.
  • Full Metal Jacket (only the first half)
  • Straw Dogs, the '71 Peckinpah version. The American remake is the pits.
  • The Leech Woman- B grade classic in B&W (this would have been to save money, rather the Dr Strangelove which was for effect). This scared the willies out of me as a kid.
  • The Third Man- the movie itself is rather plodding, but the atmosphere is pure noir. Ultravox's Vienna always reminds me of this, just as they intended.
  • Flaming Star- now this is an Elvis movie, and a damn good one. No singing (much), a Western with the King playing a half-caste torn between races in times of war.
  • Lolita. Kubrick's film before Dr Strangelove, this could not be made today. Examines a man's infatuation with a very young girl (how young I don't think is stated, but the actress who played Lolita was 17). Things were different in 1962. It's quite uneasy viewing.
  • A couple of obvious ones. Tarantino's first two films Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. He hasn't reached such heights since although this year's effort wasn't bad.

Last edited: