What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Squad Analysis

getsmarty

Immortal
remote.axd

Sailor in the thick of Dragons' fullback battle

DRAGONS

NRL.com predicts Dragons' Round 1 team
Author
Chris Kennedy & Jamie Soward
Timestamp
Sun 22 Dec 2019, 09:32 AM

In a daily series analysing who will line up in each position for all 16 teams in the opening round of the Telstra Premiership in 2020, NRL.com looks at the St George Illawarra Dragons.

NRL.com says: Zac Lomax has the inside running for the fullback role while re-signed youngster Tristan Sailor is likely to partner Jordan Pereira as the starting wingers with Jason Saab and Brayden Wiliame to keep the pressure on.

Depending on what happens with lock Jack de Belin's trial over sexual assault allegations, the returning Trent Merrin is likely to slot into his old No.13 jersey for the first time in five years. Veteran recruit Issac Luke is a chance of a bench spot unless Paul McGregor opts for a bench of four middle forwards and edge back-rowers.

2020_dragons.jpg

Jamie Soward says: Tristan Sailor should be the fullback; he showed enough last year to be given first crack so Jason Saab and Jordan Pereira are the wings for me with Euan Aitken and Zac Lomax in the centres with Lafai out. I'd have Merrin starting at prop, Jackson Ford in the second row, Tyson Frizell at lock and James Graham playing that very important bench prop role.

NRL.com's predicted Dragons round 1 team
  1. Zac Lomax
  2. Tristan Sailor
  3. Euan Aitken
  4. Tim Lafai
  5. Jordan Pereira
  6. Corey Norman
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Paul Vaughan
  9. Cameron McInnes
  10. James Graham
  11. Tariq Sims
  12. Tyson Frizell
  13. Trent Merrin

14. Korbin Sims
  15. Blake Lawrie
  16. Jackson Ford
  17. Issac Luke
Others: Eddie Blacker, Jack de Belin, Matt Dufty, Jacob Host, Josh Kerr, Joe Lovodua, Mikaele Ravalawa, Jason Saab, Brayden Wiliame.

Dragons
Who will be their leading tryscorer in 2020?

Dragons Who will be their leading tryscorer in 2020?
  • Zac Lomax
    0%
  • Brayden Wiliame
    0%
  • Euan Aitken
    0%
  • Tim Lafai
    0%
  • Jordan Pereira
    0%
  • Corey Norman
    0%
  • Ben Hunt
    0%
  • Jason Saab
    0%
  • Matt Dufty
    0%
  • Mikaele Ravalawa
    0%

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/12/22/nrl.com-predicts-dragons-round-1-team/

getsmarty

Immortal
Paul McGregor to be sacked by mid-season

The Dragons underwent an end of season review following their second last placed finish in 2019, but the head coach curiously escaped much of the blame for the horror season.

McGregor called on close friend Phil Gould to conduct the review, which resulted in a shake-up of the Dragons’ backroom and support staff.

Now McGregor is the last piece of the former puzzle and if the Dragons start slowly in 2020 there won’t be any scapegoats left to shield the head coach.

The signing of Trent Merrin has gone some way to plugging the hole left by the absence of Jack de Belin and the Dragons still boast a number of Origin stars in Ben Hunt, Corey Norman and Tariq Sims on their books.

However the Dragons still look light on in the outside backs and are probably a forward or two short and if they go on a losing run early in the season, the club may finally lose patience with McGregor.

We can only hope...

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...d/news-story/08099889812d9bf3b594ebd7312d6

P.S Thanks dragsters

TruSaint

Referee
remote.axd

Sailor in the thick of Dragons' fullback battle

DRAGONS

NRL.com predicts Dragons' Round 1 team
Author
Chris Kennedy & Jamie Soward
Timestamp
Sun 22 Dec 2019, 09:32 AM

In a daily series analysing who will line up in each position for all 16 teams in the opening round of the Telstra Premiership in 2020, NRL.com looks at the St George Illawarra Dragons.

NRL.com says: Zac Lomax has the inside running for the fullback role while re-signed youngster Tristan Sailor is likely to partner Jordan Pereira as the starting wingers with Jason Saab and Brayden Wiliame to keep the pressure on.

Depending on what happens with lock Jack de Belin's trial over sexual assault allegations, the returning Trent Merrin is likely to slot into his old No.13 jersey for the first time in five years. Veteran recruit Issac Luke is a chance of a bench spot unless Paul McGregor opts for a bench of four middle forwards and edge back-rowers.

2020_dragons.jpg

Jamie Soward says: Tristan Sailor should be the fullback; he showed enough last year to be given first crack so Jason Saab and Jordan Pereira are the wings for me with Euan Aitken and Zac Lomax in the centres with Lafai out. I'd have Merrin starting at prop, Jackson Ford in the second row, Tyson Frizell at lock and James Graham playing that very important bench prop role.

NRL.com's predicted Dragons round 1 team
  1. Zac Lomax
  2. Tristan Sailor
  3. Euan Aitken
  4. Tim Lafai
  5. Jordan Pereira
  6. Corey Norman
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Paul Vaughan
  9. Cameron McInnes
  10. James Graham
  11. Tariq Sims
  12. Tyson Frizell
  13. Trent Merrin

14. Korbin Sims
  15. Blake Lawrie
  16. Jackson Ford
  17. Issac Luke
Others: Eddie Blacker, Jack de Belin, Matt Dufty, Jacob Host, Josh Kerr, Joe Lovodua, Mikaele Ravalawa, Jason Saab, Brayden Wiliame.

Dragons
Who will be their leading tryscorer in 2020?

Dragons Who will be their leading tryscorer in 2020?
  • Zac Lomax
    0%
  • Brayden Wiliame
    0%
  • Euan Aitken
    0%
  • Tim Lafai
    0%
  • Jordan Pereira
    0%
  • Corey Norman
    0%
  • Ben Hunt
    0%
  • Jason Saab
    0%
  • Matt Dufty
    0%
  • Mikaele Ravalawa
    0%

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/12/22/nrl.com-predicts-dragons-round-1-team/

@getsmarty , i think also this will be our starting squad.

Aitken / Lafai cert's IMHO

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Fascinating that they can 'predict' the round 1 squad when we haven't filled our roster yet!

Surely there's a Lats out there just waiting to roll straight into the starting team!!!!

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Sorry, just not understanding the sudden love for Aitken.

Lomax is not a left centre. I'd rather Williame play there and Zac at right centre. Sailor fullback.

In any case Lomax is with us long term, and I'm sure his preference for fullback will see him succeed in that position. He'll need some time, not the Mann minutes.

possm

Coach

Lomax is not a left centre. I'd rather Williame play there and Zac at right centre. Sailor fullback.

In any case Lomax is with us long term, and I'm sure his preference for fullback will see him succeed in that position. He'll need some time, not the Mann minutes.
Yes, I feel confident that Lomax will go well at fullback and most probably be our long term fullback.

Last edited:
Well said
We really need the following
One fullback ( Lomax to Centre )
One centre
One super fast exciting winger
Whatever the first lineup is, there is still a woeful problem in the backs with the midfield. Aitken and Lafai don't cut the mustard. Wing positions are problematic and if Dufty is fullback (one of the most important positions on the field), his strengths with his speed and elusiveness are out weighed by his weakness under the high ball, tackling and positional play. There does not appear to be a viable contender for this position who is up to top NRL standard.

Crush

Coach

Hey DS, not sure there is love for Aitken. If I had to choose between Aitken and Lafai though I would keep Aitken. He cannot defend but has a couple of attributes in attack. Lafai cant defend or attack. And he doesn't seem to try. Or care.
I'd start both of them in reserve grade if it were me selecting the team and ask them to earn back their spots.

I am hoping for the best but I am preparing for another woeful season.

Praying Flanno fires the guys up and toughens them up physically and mentally.

The squad needs a barium meal enema!!

Dragon_psa

First Grade
If I were to pick today on what we have. My backline would be.
1.Ramsey (training the house down I hear)
2.Sailor (can go to fullback if required)
3Wiliame
4.Lomax
5.Saab
6.Norman
7.Hunt
I absolutely know this side won’t be picked but it would be great.

Swap Lomax and Williame and that starts to look good.

Frank Facer

First Grade
3Wiliame
4.Lomax
5.Saab
6.Norman
7.Hunt
I would be looking at something like
1 Lomax
2 Ramsey
3 Feagai ( I would promote the best one into our top 30 squad)
4 Lafai
5 Saab
6 Hunt
7 Norman

possm

Coach
3Wiliame
4.Lomax
5.Saab
6.Norman
7.Hunt
Maybe a great team for 2021 or 2022. It all depends on how the inexperienced players scrub up for 2020.

For me it is a must to drop Aitken and Lafai and apart from Lomax and Saab, the remainder of our back 5 is up for grabs. I'd like to see the centre pairing and left wing position picke purely on form demonstrated during the off-season.

If new young guns out perform Ravalawa, Pereira, Sailor, Aitken and Lafai, then select these young guns without hesitation.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Maybe a great team for 2021 or 2022. It all depends on how the inexperienced players scrub up for 2020.

For me it is a must to drop Aitken and Lafai and apart from Lomax and Saab, the remainder of our back 5 is up for grabs. I'd like to see the centre pairing and left wing position picke purely on form demonstrated during the off-season.

If new young guns out perform Ravalawa, Pereira, Sailor, Aitken and Lafai, then select these young guns without hesitation.
I doubt there will be huge changes at the start but Mary will definitely try out Wiliame in the trials. At the start of this year all the talk was of Lomax pushing out Aitken. In the finals 2018 Lomax took his chance and kept Aitken out of the side. They both got good chances in the trials and Aitken played better and actually grabbed his spot, he played pretty well to start the season. This indicates to me that the Mary having favourites is a slight myth. I do believe in the trials he will give equal time to Wiliame and Lafai, maybe even a stint on the wing. If Wiliame grabs his chance with Flanno there as a sounding board I think there is a chance he will line up round 1, at least on the left wing.

mickeylane

Bench
This would be an ideal
Starting 17.
Pace and youth in the backline .. forward Pack is a monster
1. Dufty
2.Sailor
3Wiliame
4.Lomax
5.Saab
6.Norman
7.Hunt