What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

axl rose

Bench
black.jpg

Quidgybo

Bench
It barely rains in Townsville during footy season.

For this climate, it’s fair.
Full Disclosure: I lived in Townsville for 20 years. Three points...

a) When it rains in the tropics, regardless of time of year, it doesn’t just drizzle fairy piss that leaves you a little damp after half an hour. Instead it delivers a torrential downpour that soaks you from head to toe in about one minute.

b) Presumably the intention of any major facility is to allow use year round. So while it might not impact most Cowboys games, when summer events like the A-League come to town (whether as a one off or another attempt at a local franchise), poor coverage could indeed impact the event.

c) In the self proclaimed skin cancer capital of the world (About ~200k Caucasian folks with light skin living at a latitude they really aren’t adapted to), cover from the Sun is as important, if not more important, than cover from the wet.

OK, now none of this is that big a problem with this new stadium. I know I’m quibbling about a dozen or so rows. And there’s certainly no doubt it’s a massive improvement on the old venue. But my core point remains. After all these years, we’re still building venues with the same old compromises that favour form over function.

Leigh.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
Full Disclosure: I lived in Townsville for 20 years. Three points...

a) When it rains in the tropics, regardless of time of year, it doesn’t just drizzle fairy piss that leaves you a little damp after half an hour. Instead I t delivers a torrential downpour that soaks you from head to toe in about one minute.

b) Presumably the intention of any major facility is to allow use year round. So while it might not impact most Cowboys games, when summer events like the A-League come to town (whether as a one off or another attempt at a local franchise), poor coverage could indeed impact the event.

c) In the self proclaimed skin cancer capital of the world (About ~200k Caucasian folks with light skin living at a latitude they really aren’t adapted to), cover from the Sun is as important, if not more important, than cover from the wet.

OK, now none of this is that big a problem with this new stadium. I know I’m quibbling about a dozen or so rows. And there’s certainly no doubt it’s a massive improvement on the old venue. But my core point remains. After all these years, we’re still building venues with the same old compromises that favour form over function.

Leigh.

Ok, to point A - it’s still covering at least 75% of the seats.

Point B - See point A.

Point C - They’ve played maybe, one daylight game there in the last decade for this reason. I don’t see either the Cowboys or a potential A-League team playing there.

T-Boon

Coach
This boundary social section at the MCG is a good idea. They should do that at ANZ, SCG and Titans stadium to make it look less empty.

beave

Coach
why can’t they just use a white material ‘curtain’ that pulls down over each bay and then just project images/graphics onto that?

Isn’t this so called ‘LED curtain’ technology that keeps getting talked about still not readily available anyways??

Said it many times, they needed to just build a bankwest stadium again. I thinks it’s funny they re-tendered the re-build contract because the first mob couldn’t do it for the original $$$ and now it’s blown out $90 odd mill anyways, so what was the point of going to tender again??

The whole thing has been a steaming mess.

A key tenant of the Sydney Football Stadium would "not have supported" the venue's rebuild had they known a multi-mode LED "curtain" was not to be included in the final budget.

Acting Sports Minister Geoff Lee on Monday confirmed the NSW government would not foot the bill for the curtain, saying the revised $828 million price of the project was the "final cost".

527cd5c6e6a4971a6f5d53eefda8f246f8950f74

The budget for the Sydney Football Stadium has increased to $828 million
Told of the government's position, Sydney FC chief executive Danny Townsend said the A-League football club would not have supported the stadium rebuild had the club known the two-mode function to accommodate smaller crowds would not be a feature of the new stadium in Sydney's eastern suburbs.

"Rebuilding a stadium of very similar size, with no different configuration would not have been something that we would have supported," he said. "We supported a project that had a two-mode system, that's what was sold to us, that's what got us really behind it and got us really excited about what our future home looked like."

During preliminary stages of stadium planning, tenants were told there would be funding for an LED curtain which would enable the top tier of the stadium to be closed off during events that attracted smaller crowds. The new stadium will hold 45,000 spectators, with Sydney FC games averaging about 15,000.

The government did not include funding for the curtain in the stadium's final budget, which it announced this month had blown out by $99m.

Mr Townsend said it sounded as if the government had "moved on" from the curtain, which was "the single most important thing" for Sydney FC when agreeing to the rebuild.

"I can't put it more clearly than that," Mr Townsend said. "We were confident that the government and the [SCG] Trust would deliver on that. At the end of the day, it's their facility, they own it, we're a tenant and we pay rent, that's how it works and we would like it to be the best possible experience for our fans once it opens.

"We've been led to believe all along that it was always part of the plan and may not have been funded in this first envelope, but there was a commitment to finding a solution."

At the unveiling of a $50.5 million taxpayer funded upgrade to the Sydney Olympic Park Tennis Centre, Dr Lee told the Herald the disagreement between the tenants over the curtain was just "one of the issues" the government needed to "work through" before the stadium was built.

"At the moment, we've set the budget, we have been a very upfront to the public, it includes all the contingencies, so all we know is we have to deliver it by 2022," he said.

Dr Lee also said the reason why the curtain was originally included in the budget and then taken out was simply "a matter of costs". He said he could consider a commercial partnership to make the curtain a possibility.

"What people will see is a world-class stadium for world-class events," he said. "Let's see and we will wait and see how things go."

The stadium's other major tenants are Super Rugby team NSW Waratahs and NRL premiers Sydney Roosters.

A spokesman for NSW Rugby Union said this month that NSW Rugby "made the inclusion of a curtain within the stadium’s top tier a priority".

Sydney Roosters chief executive Joe Kelly said in December the LED curtain "was a key feature to the original design of the stadium that we supported".

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/stadiu...fOrwaFf6RCfMBrUpzfd4uflJ1s#Echobox=1577735638

T-Boon

Coach
All that money to build what they tore down for three tenants who can’t get over 20k fans to a game. . Geez Louise that is some sht politicians right there.

Really embarrassing for the city.
The old stadium was great. Firstly, it was there, where as now it is not there. It is a hole in the ground.
Secondly it was not unsafe. That stupid argument (lie) was brought up about 3 year ago and guess what? they continued playing there, which they would not do if it really was unsafe.
Thirdly it was an excellent place to watch sport.
They could have replaced seats, put in a few toilets and some flashy lighting for about 100million.

PJ

First Grade
The old stadium was great. Firstly, it was there, where as now it is not there. It is a hole in the ground.
Secondly it was not unsafe. That stupid argument (lie) was brought up about 3 year ago and guess what? they continued playing there, which they would not do if it really was unsafe.
They could have replaced seats, put in a few toilets and some flashy lighting for about 100million.

I heard from a reasonable source that the main issue with the demolished stadium was lack of corporate facilities.

The unsafe was, as you said BS.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I heard from a reasonable source that the main issue with the demolished stadium was lack of corporate facilities.

The unsafe was, as you said BS.

ive been a few times and wouldn’t say the corporate boxes were even half full for nrl games. Not sure if union and soccer sell more but I doubt it.

PJ

First Grade
ive been a few times and wouldn’t say the corporate boxes were even half full for nrl games. Not sure if union and soccer sell more but I doubt it.

It was more about the level of comfort etc provided for them and the amount enclosed.

There is some truth to the safety issues. The thing is people like Alan Jones said "we'll have another Hillsborough" unless we rebuild, which over hyped the issue to the max.

flippikat

Bench
There is some truth to the safety issues. The thing is people like Alan Jones said "we'll have another Hillsborough" unless we rebuild, which over hyped the issue to the max.

Gees, Alan Jones.. I'm honestly surprised that some people still listen to (or care about) what he has to say about anything..

Gees, Alan Jones.. I'm honestly surprised that some people still listen to (or care about) what he has to say about anything..

Like him or not, due to his ratings, and also the fact that it is a Coalition Government, plus he is on the SCG Trust also, politicians listen to him.

The Marshall

Juniors
Their biggest gripe was the location of the corp suites which were all behind the tryline at the southern end and in terrible viewing locations. They only had a few open air boxes in the Nick Shehadie Stand that were on the half way line. I heard much like the commentator boxes that the corporate areas were very much a after thought and tacked on where ever they could fit them.

siv

First Grade
Their biggest gripe was the location of the corp suites which were all behind the tryline at the southern end and in terrible viewing locations. They only had a few open air boxes in the Nick Shehadie Stand that were on the half way line. I heard much like the commentator boxes that the corporate areas were very much a after thought and tacked on where ever they could fit them.

Corporates just go to get drunk and talk to and dont watch much football. So placement shouldnt have been a issue

SFS boxes were high a close with tries scored near where you were sitting