What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

betcats

Referee
Interesting video doing the rounds of Jose muorinho being asked about the difference on captains and leaders. Basically to summarise he said when you have good leaders your job as a coach is made much easier as you can focus on the coaching side m, he also says leaders will stand up and and take a leadership whether they are captain or not and quite often the captain is not the real leader in the team. He mentions the ‘image’ aspect being used to pick captains, like it’s a marketing decision(he didn’t say but I think that’s what he meant).

Anyway I find this interesting as I am big believer in needing a good culture to succeed and having proper leaders is a big part of that. Look at Bateman at the raiders, the guy is a leader whose footballing ability is middling in the nrl but his impact was huge. I don’t have any points to make about the panthers here other than to say I think is looking at guys attitude closely before signing them is a good move and why a guy like Tetevano(despite his shady past) talking about wanting to be leader could be an underrated factor going forward. Fish and Tamou are leaders of sorts but they strike lead by example types rather the types that are vocal at training and will call the team or individuals out if they standards dropping.

Blade23

Juniors
Interesting video doing the rounds of Jose muorinho being asked about the difference on captains and leaders. Basically to summarise he said when you have good leaders your job as a coach is made much easier as you can focus on the coaching side m, he also says leaders will stand up and and take a leadership whether they are captain or not and quite often the captain is not the real leader in the team. He mentions the ‘image’ aspect being used to pick captains, like it’s a marketing decision(he didn’t say but I think that’s what he meant).

Anyway I find this interesting as I am big believer in needing a good culture to succeed and having proper leaders is a big part of that. Look at Bateman at the raiders, the guy is a leader whose footballing ability is middling in the nrl but his impact was huge. I don’t have any points to make about the panthers here other than to say I think is looking at guys attitude closely before signing them is a good move and why a guy like Tetevano(despite his shady past) talking about wanting to be leader could be an underrated factor going forward. Fish and Tamou are leaders of sorts but they strike lead by example types rather the types that are vocal at training and will call the team or individuals out if they standards dropping.

Ivan has a motto " Attitude must match ability". If you only have one you won't last long with him.
Some would criticise his methods over the years but its his culture. He stands for something.
Whoever the coach is they must have a culture and the senior players must buy into it. When things get tough or a few players step out of line the senior players need pull them into line. These are our coaches standards and you need to buy in them like everyone else.
If they don't a coach can lose a dressing room quickly.

betcats

Referee
Ivan has a motto " Attitude must match ability". If you only have one you won't last long with him.
Some would criticise his methods over the years but its his culture. He stands for something.
Whoever the coach is they must have a culture and the senior players must buy into it. When things get tough or a few players step out of line the senior players need pull them into line. These are our coaches standards and you need to buy in them like everyone else.
If they don't a coach can lose a dressing room quickly.

Yep I think its a good standard to set as a coach and its why I think we have a lot of improvement in the side next year. Our unhappy players have moved on, Gould has moved on(making it clear who is running the footy side) and a major distraction(May) is close to being done with.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Yep I think its a good standard to set as a coach and its why I think we have a lot of improvement in the side next year. Our unhappy players have moved on, Gould has moved on(making it clear who is running the footy side) and a major distraction(May) is close to being done with.

To me Blade's comment about Ivan explain so very much. I believe we will do much better in 2020.

Kilkenny

Coach
Well wouldn't you just know it, David Fifita, has escaped sanction for his Bali incident.

Inconclusive evidence apparently which is not surprising since the incident happened in Bali and a suitable financial arrangement was agreed to by all relevant parties. Some might even call it hush money although there are other titles the payments could be titled but let's leave it there this will come as no surprise to anybody.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
To me Blade's comment about Ivan explain so very much. I believe we will do much better in 2020.
Not to mention billy moore commented on ivans 2nd year at clubs on fox a few months ago being somewhat successful, using the warriors and tigers as proof, tigers were better than previous years, and Warriors in a GF

Abacus

Juniors
Not to mention billy moore commented on ivans 2nd year at clubs on fox a few months ago being somewhat successful, using the warriors and tigers as proof, tigers were better than previous years, and Warriors in a GF
I'm assuming he skipped over Ivan's 2nd year at Panthers in 2013?

MugaB

Coach
So going off that sequence of records and history repeating itself,
Ivan's due to get tired the following year in October 2021 and the team should come 11th, with a sheet ton of injuries
...And whilst Wayne Bennett returns to the Broncos with Anthony Seibold takes over panthers for the next 3 years of glorious finals, and gets hooked again for another Ivan Revial....

Tronald Crump

Juniors
So going off that sequence of records and history repeating itself,
Ivan's due to get tired the following year in October 2021 and the team should come 11th, with a sheet ton of injuries
...And whilst Wayne Bennett returns to the Broncos with Anthony Seibold takes over panthers for the next 3 years of glorious finals, and gets hooked again for another Ivan Revial....

Close with your predictions but it will Griffin coming back to take care of unfinished business.
Think of our pattern excluding care takers.
Cleary, Griffin, Cleary, Griffin?
The first 3 have happened will the sequence continue?
Maybe Griffin needs to become a mate of Dave.

MugaB

Coach
Close with your predictions but it will Griffin coming back to take care of unfinished business.
Hahahahahahaha, that will never happen, dave has no mates

franklin2323

Immortal

Easier for hook just to raid the juniors and adopt a teenage halfback and can coach his son here

Bob

Juniors
Merry Christmas Panther fans!

May your beverages be chilled, your ham succulent and your stockings full of goodies.
Merry Christmas to you as well, my stocking was full, my chocolate stocking is even fuller:relaxed:, Christmas pudding is on, pork ready to go, Jack and Coke chilling in the fridge, man I love Christmas :thumbsup:

T-Boon

Coach
Of all the clubs that blundered by not wanting a women’s NRL team I have to say I have decided the Panthers made the biggest blunder.
Firstly, the NRL were desperate for a western Sydney team to bid so which ever one did was going to get in. Secondly Penrith are the only western Sydney team who are (I assume) lobbying for government funding for the stadium.
Can we blame this screw up on Gould or was it above his pay grade?

Abacus

Juniors
Of all the clubs that blundered by not wanting a women’s NRL team I have to say I have decided the Panthers made the biggest blunder.
Firstly, the NRL were desperate for a western Sydney team to bid so which ever one did was going to get in. Secondly Penrith are the only western Sydney team who are (I assume) lobbying for government funding for the stadium.
Can we blame this screw up on Gould or was it above his pay grade?
There's a women's NRL competition?