What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

Rabbits20

Immortal
Here is an article below from the Daily Telegraph

South Sydney flyer James Roberts is ready to reclaim his title as fastest man in rugby league after dropping 7kg in preparation for next season.

Roberts opened up on the physical overhaul that has him “really focusing on my speed again”.

As part of his transformation, the centre is tipping the scales at 90kg — or 7kg lighter than earlier this year in his first season with the Rabbitohs.

“And I won’t play any higher than 92kg,” the indigenous superstar said.

“Over the past couple of years, I’ve gone away from staying light and really focusing on my speed. But that’s my main asset.

Roberts, who last week joined a NSWRL contingent that visited towns affected by the bushfires, has also made changes to areas like prehabilitation, training loads and even strengthening techniques for his ankles in a bid to prevent the Achilles problems that hampered his return to Redfern.

Melbourne flyer Josh Addo-Carr is the code’s quickest man, having recorded a sizzling Telstra Tracker time of 38.5km/h this year. Roberts, 26, is 16th on that list with a time of 35.2km/h.

However, after a disrupted year in which he had to contend with a switch from the Brisbane Broncos and also ongoing ankle issues, he is refocusing on the running game that once had him being considered the fastest man in the NRL.

As for posting a quicker time than good mate The Fox?

“I don’t really care about that,” Roberts said. “I know Fox, he loves that stuff.

“He really enjoys challenging himself with (the Telstra Tracker) too. But I’m more laid-back. I only run as first as I need to, really.

“If I make a break, I’m always looking over my shoulder to see when the chasers pull up so I can too.”

Surely it would be nice to be rated league’s fastest man?

“It will be good to test myself later in the year,” Roberts said. “But right now, the thing I’m focused on most is finetuning my body. I want to make sure I’m ready to go with the Rabbitohs for round one.”

Born and raised in Kempsey, Roberts spent two days last week visiting communities around his home town which have been affected by the bushfires.

It was all part of a trip organised by NSW Origin coach Brad Fittler.

The group also spent several hours at Macleay Vocational College, a ‘‘last chance’’ high school in Kempsey for disadvantaged youths.

“Great initiative,” Roberts said of the college. “I have uncles working at the school, while some of the kids there are also cousins of mine.

“I know some young people struggle in mainstream education. I was one of them, I struggled at school, so it’s great they now have the opportunity to go somewhere and improve behaviour, attendance, stuff like that.”

On the bushfires, Roberts said: “A lot of my family and friends have been affected so it was important for me to come back and show some love.

“There are people here who have lost everything … homes gone, all their photos, they have nothing.

“I can’t imagine that happening to my family, or how damaging that would be. So even if we can just get out and put some smiles on faces, every little bit helps.”

Rabbits20

Immortal
Article below from the Daily Telegraph

Rabbitohs coach Wayne Bennett has insisted Latrell Mitchell will not be joining South Sydney.

The Rabbitohs have been tipped to be Mitchell’s new home following his highly-publicised falling out with the Roosters.

Dane Gagai and Alex Johnston have been mooted as the potential Rabbitohs players to make way for Mitchell to arrive at Redfern.

Bennett secured a blue-chip signing for 2021 this week when Gold Coast Titans star Jai Arrow committed to South Sydney to become Sam Burgess’ replacement.

And he reckons that was the signing he was chasing, not Mitchell despite speculation South Sydney wants the Kangaroos gun.

“We won’t be signing Latrell,” Bennett told Blindside.

“We have enough centres. I am happy with Braidon Burns and James Roberts.

“I needed a forward to replace Sam.”

Bennett has played ducks and drakes with player signings before.

Earlier this year he insisted Roberts would not be leaving the Broncos to sign with South Sydney, only for the switch to happen weeks later.

Bennett later admitted he lied so the Rabbitohs could conduct negotiations without relentless speculation.

I reckon Wayne is telling porkies again lads!

Mixo Joe

Juniors

Rabbitohs coach Wayne Bennett has insisted Latrell Mitchell will not be joining South Sydney.

The Rabbitohs have been tipped to be Mitchell’s new home following his highly-publicised falling out with the Roosters.

Dane Gagai and Alex Johnston have been mooted as the potential Rabbitohs players to make way for Mitchell to arrive at Redfern.

Bennett secured a blue-chip signing for 2021 this week when Gold Coast Titans star Jai Arrow committed to South Sydney to become Sam Burgess’ replacement.

And he reckons that was the signing he was chasing, not Mitchell despite speculation South Sydney wants the Kangaroos gun.

Earlier this year he insisted Roberts would not be leaving the Broncos to sign with South Sydney, only for the switch to happen weeks later.

Bennett later admitted he lied so the Rabbitohs could conduct negotiations without relentless speculation.

Maybe not I reckon mitchell will end up in Melbourne or stay put. But there may be another forward on the way. Arrow will be here 2020:laughing:

Rabbits20

Immortal
Maybe not I reckon mitchell will end up in Melbourne or stay put. But there may be another forward on the way. Arrow will be here 2020:laughing:
If the Titans take Gagai which could happen then we have a different ball game.

I’m feeling pretty darn confident Latrell to Souths is gonna happen, just a matter of when now!

callmack1

Staff member

Hopefully he's telling porkies again! But that's the thing, we honestly never know with Wayne, he's too smart for even us fans.

Of course I hope we can sign Latrell and of course I think we'd be crazy not to try. That's why I'm really hoping this is just another cover story from Wayne.

handyman2190

Bench
Hopefully he's telling porkies again! But that's the thing, we honestly never know with Wayne, he's too smart for even us fans.

Of course I hope we can sign Latrell and of course I think we'd be crazy not to try. That's why I'm really hoping this is just another cover story from Wayne.
The reason all are telling porkies is that in january latrell receives an installment of his contract money from the rorters, and souths dont want to pay that,so by stalling we save big money towards next seasons money. Which is why the rorters were so eager to move him on quick. I wouldnt worry he is signed

NovoBunny94

Juniors
The reason all are telling porkies is that in january latrell receives an installment of his contract money from the rorters, and souths dont want to pay that,so by stalling we save big money towards next seasons money. Which is why the rorters were so eager to move him on quick. I wouldnt worry he is signed
if he is signed what position does he play? we have so many backs it's not funny
do we move players on?
like others have stated moving gagai on would be the best move because paying (that much) for a mediocre winger is ridiculous

Peter Quinn

Juniors

That's pretty much a true indication that he's coming.

Joeboy

Juniors
That's pretty much a true indication that he's coming.

What? Even more so than Latrell doing the bunny ears when he has scored tries for the rooster these past three seasons ?!

hahaha. He may well go the bunnies courtesy of the cap relief supplied by the nrl to one of their favourites, but the bunny ears have nothing to do with it.

250excf

Juniors
What? Even more so than Latrell doing the bunny ears when he has scored tries for the rooster these past three seasons ?!

hahaha. He may well go the bunnies courtesy of the cap relief supplied by the nrl to one of their favourites, but the bunny ears have nothing to do with it.
Fair enough mate but who mentioned bunny ears ???

250excf

Juniors
if he is signed what position does he play? we have so many backs it's not funny
do we move players on?
like others have stated moving gagai on would be the best move because paying (that much) for a mediocre winger is ridiculous
Gagai is a gun he just can’t tackle for shit never has

handyman2190

Bench
do we move players on?
The opportunity is Now! Once he has signed elsewere he is gone,u buy him now and trim others later

Latest posts