What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corey Norman??

getsmarty

Immortal
The issue for me is not wether Norman can play, its the consistancy side that worries me. He tends to he at his best with a dominant go forward, fast play the balls and having a running half back. Without these he is, lets say lost at what to do.

Another point here is we have aging halves, Nornan is 28 and signed to 2021, Hunt will be 30 in March and still has 3 (or 4) more years on his contract.

I wonder how young Sullivan fjts into the grans plan if our supercoach?

Sullivan fits in when mcGregor leaves....

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
The issue for me is not wether Norman can play, its the consistancy side that worries me. He tends to he at his best with a dominant go forward, fast play the balls and having a running half back. Without these he is, lets say lost at what to do.

Another point here is we have aging halves, Nornan is 28 and signed to 2021, Hunt will be 30 in March and still has 3 (or 4) more years on his contract.

I wonder how young Sullivan fjts into the grans plan if our supercoach?
Corey Norman is a silky player with all the skills, his issue for me is that he doesn't seem like he is very competitive, all the best players of the past like Johns, JT and Sterlo were above all else hyper competitive, they are the first one to a spilled ball, first one to turn up for a cover tackle, lead the kick chase. His laid back attitude in some cases will help like clutch plays because he doesn't really care so if he misses the field goal its not the end of the world but for the most part its probably a negative. Hunt is the complete opposite, he's all effort and If anything cares too much which is why he's stuffed up a few clutch plays. The legends can do both. This is my opinion and I could be wrong but that's how it seems.

Blood&Bandage

Juniors
Corey Norman is a silky player with all the skills, his issue for me is that he doesn't seem like he is very competitive, all the best players of the past like Johns, JT and Sterlo were above all else hyper competitive, they are the first one to a spilled ball, first one to turn up for a cover tackle, lead the kick chase. His laid back attitude in some cases will help like clutch plays because he doesn't really care so if he misses the field goal its not the end of the world but for the most part its probably a negative. Hunt is the complete opposite, he's all effort and If anything cares too much which is why he's stuffed up a few clutch plays. The legends can do both. This is my opinion and I could be wrong but that's how it seems.
The combination should balance out then?
I’ve said it before, and so have others, but I would love to see Norman to half and Hunt to 5/8.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
The combination should balance out then?
I’ve said it before, and so have others, but I would love to see Norman to half and Hunt to 5/8.
They should be able to form a good combo I believe, certainly Widdop and Hunt were good from their very first game together, its just a shame Widdop has spent most of Hunt's time with us injured. I kind of agree with Hunt to 5/8 because I know its his running game that stands out, but I sort of like him at 7 too because he has a very good sharp step and show and go. This is beneficial for the limited time a 7 gets and often he catches players of guard with a quick slice through the gap.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Sullivan fits in when mcGregor leaves....
2021 Isn't too long really for Sullivan, that will probably be around the time he's starting to become a regular first grader. Probably perfect timing to take over in my opinion. He might even push Norman or Hunt to reserve grade and play a fair part in 2021 and from 2022 he should be fairly seasoned and we will have a new coach.

Old Timer

Coach
They should be able to form a good combo I believe, certainly Widdop and Hunt were good from their very first game together, its just a shame Widdop has spent most of Hunt's time with us injured. I kind of agree with Hunt to 5/8 because I know its his running game that stands out, but I sort of like him at 7 too because he has a very good sharp step and show and go. This is beneficial for the limited time a 7 gets and often he catches players of guard with a quick slice through the gap.
The opposition were totally confused and bemused by his ability which helped power us into 15th position.
If he didn't show that skill set the spoon was beckoning.
If he combines with Norman and they follow the game maybe 14th is a real possibility.
We are onwards and upwards.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
The opposition were totally confused and bemused by his ability which helped power us into 15th position.
If he didn't show that skill set the spoon was beckoning.
If he combines with Norman and they follow the game maybe 14th is a real possibility.
We are onwards and upwards.
Im not saying they are the Johns brothers but its all we have. Im just discussing whether Hunt would be better suited to 6 or 7 and I'm not sure. Would be worth a shot. I guess all we can do is hope that over the off season they form a good stable combo and they might surprise us.

Old Timer

Coach
Im not saying they are the Johns brothers but its all we have. Im just discussing whether Hunt would be better suited to 6 or 7 and I'm not sure. Would be worth a shot. I guess all we can do is hope that over the off season they form a good stable combo and they might surprise us.
No chance they will surprise me as I consider them both bog average whether at 6 or 7.
Both now senior players and never been consistent with form or being a match winner against top sides.
Their best is good but far too infrequent for the money they command or the ratings they receive.
Needless to say that our game plans and tactics are the worst in the competition, so that is an extra weight in there already sizeable saddle bags.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
2021 Isn't too long really for Sullivan, that will probably be around the time he's starting to become a regular first grader. Probably perfect timing to take over in my opinion. He might even push Norman or Hunt to reserve grade and play a fair part in 2021 and from 2022 he should be fairly seasoned and we will have a new coach.

Its an eternity in todays world. 2yrs before Norman off contract and at 600k+ he aint playing CC and neither would Hunt (900k+).
Pretty sure Sullivan plays CC in 2020 andcwhat happens if he blitzes it? No doubt other clubs will become very interested. Not saying he would jump ship, but as they say 'money talks, bullshite walks'!
Norman and Hunt really need to get it together quick smart in 2020 otherwise i'd be moving them on. Maybe byvthen we will have some kind of Draft or Trade period which would help.

TruSaint

Referee
Its an eternity in todays world. 2yrs before Norman off contract and at 600k+ he aint playing CC and neither would Hunt (900k+).
Pretty sure Sullivan plays CC in 2020 andcwhat happens if he blitzes it? No doubt other clubs will become very interested. Not saying he would jump ship, but as they say 'money talks, bullshite walks'!
Norman and Hunt really need to get it together quick smart in 2020 otherwise i'd be moving them on. Maybe byvthen we will have some kind of Draft or Trade period which would help.

Both need to aim up at Club level.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Id move both on immediately if we could without question. But unfortunately there is no way to do so. I guess we need them next season but after that id love to have a Sullivan/Sailor combo. Our only hope would be Normy getting done for coke and Hunt getting an offer from the Titans or something. If not I guess we have made our bed and have to sleep in it.

Frank Facer

First Grade
No chance they will surprise me as I consider them both bog average whether at 6 or 7.
Both now senior players and never been consistent with form or being a match winner against top sides.
Their best is good but far too infrequent for the money they command or the ratings they receive.
Needless to say that our game plans and tactics are the worst in the competition, so that is an extra weight in there already sizeable saddle bags.
I believe that Norman halfback and Hunt 5/8 have the potential to be the best pair of halves we have had since I have been watching us for the last 39 years. Norman can be the best halfback we have had in the last 39 years and Hunt can be the second or 3rd best 5/8 behind Barrett and Mundine. I am obviously very happy with Norman and Hunt as our halves, except I would play Norman halfback and Hunt 5/8.

In saying that I would be open to the idea of moving Hunt to hooker to accommodate Sullivan by 2021/2022.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I believe that Norman halfback and Hunt 5/8 have the potential to be the best pair of halves we have had since I have been watching us for the last 39 years. Norman can be the best halfback we have had in the last 39 years and Hunt can be the second or 3rd best 5/8 behind Barrett and Mundine. I am obviously very happy with Norman and Hunt as our halves, except I would play Norman halfback and Hunt 5/8.
The elephant in the room is Sullivan though he potentially could be the best we have ever had. What will we do with him, when will he get his start? Maybe as you say Hunt at 6 and Normy at 7 then when Normy's contract is up in 2021 we move him on and Sullivan slides straight in with Hunt at 6 and Sullivan at 7.

Old Timer

Coach

In saying that I would be open to the idea of moving Hunt to hooker to accommodate Sullivan by 2021/2022.
Sullivan is a WIP and yet to be confirmed so no guarantees.
Hunt & Norman are seasoned campaigners and will bring what they bring and IMO that is not that much.
I think many will be happy to move both on by season end.
To succeed in Dragons footy you need to be very tough, very durable and I don’t think they are either.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Sullivan is a WIP and yet to be confirmed so no guarantees.
Hunt & Norman are seasoned campaigners and will bring what they bring and IMO that is not that much.
I think many will be happy to move both on by season end.
To succeed in Dragons footy you need to be very tough, very durable and I don’t think they are either.
Hunt is tough and durable, I just hope a good 9 emerges in Qld so he stops getting picked for Origin. Take out this season and we have been one of the form teams until Orgin. Orgin stuffs us every year, its something we have never figured out how to get past.

Norman had a period a few years back where he was on fire. I was thinking, I would love to have him. A couple of years ago he started going down hill. Has been in teams down the bottom of the ladder. Its a question whether he can get back to his best. He said it himself that he has had a few shit years. He knows it too, though to get back there it will take a lot more than just thinking it.

possm

Coach
Id move both on immediately if we could without question. But unfortunately there is no way to do so. I guess we need them next season but after that id love to have a Sullivan/Sailor combo. Our only hope would be Normy getting done for coke and Hunt getting an offer from the Titans or something. If not I guess we have made our bed and have to sleep in it.
Clune will be holding down one halves position in CC so we won't even see a Sailor/Sulivan combo in CC in 2020.

I believe Sailor will be Broncos bound in 2021.

hewi

Bench
I think Sailor has lots of talent however like Dufty I have concerns about his physical size for week in week out top grade football.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Clune will be holding down one halves position in CC so we won't even see a Sailor/Sulivan combo in CC in 2020.

I believe Sailor will be Broncos bound in 2021.

Firstly, happy New Year Possm to you and yours, let's hope 2020 brings us some joy on the field.

So, about Sailor, if he was going to the Broncos where would he play? They have just signed Croft and have Milford as the halves. Issako looks like having the first shot at fullback and they have young Niu as their future plans. Centre?, Staggs is a very good centre and they still have Bird, but young Coates and Farnworth are there too. Again, wing is covered pretty much as well, with Oates on one side and one of the fore mentioned as the other. They also have Jesse Arthurs, Jamil Hopoate, Richie Kenner and don't forget Jordan Kahu. So they're pretty well stocked for backs.
My take is that he will re-sign with us.

I think you make some valid observations but the knock on effect of that laid back demeanour is that he is not competitive against the other top 5/8's in the comp.
Just look at Keary, Whighton, Munster and a stand out that finished in 2019, Maloney.
Norman is not going to go head to head with these guys and come out on top for exactly the reasons you outline.
Norman is more like Shaun Johnson.
Sometimes brilliant, but unlikely to lead your team to a premiership.

Last edited:

Latest posts