What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player Management Talk

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Arrow sign a 4 year 800k a year deal. Is he worth that much?

Would you rather we keep Frizell or let him go and tried to get Arrow?

Final thought is that, at this stage, the deal for Arrow is for 2021 onwards, not for 2020.

As far as Mitchell,he ain't coming here and never should we be entertaining the idea of signing him. He's a troubled young man, who is more likely to become a burden (hence the Roosters very freely letting him go) rather than a star.

According the Daily Terror this morning, Souths are prepared to release either Gagai or Johnston in order to sign Mitchell. While I like Gagai in attack, his defence seems to be no better than Aitken's and therefore no solution to our right side defensive debacle. He may end up on the wing if we signed him and just as unhappy as he was reportedly at Souths

Johnston has also had his defensive issues and Souths obviously don't see him as the answer to their full back problem.

I was hoping that Burns would be the player released -even though he is a left centre like Williame. Wayne is obviously a shrewd judge of horseflesh and is prepared to sacrifice the flashy for the solid.

Both these players may price themselves out of our reach anyway but I would be interested to read if others would be interested in signing either of them if finances allowed.

Dragon70

Juniors
I wouldn't take either Gagai or Johnston unless it was to play wing.
Any side that takes one of them is helping South's land Mitchell.
The decision to not include Burgess on the cap has already landed them Arrow.
Let's see if another club gets the same treatment.

redVinme

Bench
According the Daily Terror this morning, Souths are prepared to release either Gagai or Johnston in order to sign Mitchell. While I like Gagai in attack, his defence seems to be no better than Aitken's and therefore no solution to our right side defensive debacle. He may end up on the wing if we signed him and just as unhappy as he was reportedly at Souths

Johnston has also had his defensive issues and Souths obviously don't see him as the answer to their full back problem.

I was hoping that Burns would be the player released -even though he is a left centre like Williame. Wayne is obviously a shrewd judge of horseflesh and is prepared to sacrifice the flashy for the solid.

Both these players may price themselves out of our reach anyway but I would be interested to read if others would be interested in signing either of them if finances allowed.

Rumours aside while the addo carr is an available option I wouldn't go anywhere near johnson/gagai as he would be a far better option for the same value.

Even if he wasn't, probably not. Neither have ever really had well rounded games, both offer very little ball playing and poor defence. Both are wingers but can't admit it. So for 700k plus or whatever ridiculous money they would be asking for, no way.

Much prefer burns or even Allan as Bennett saw enough in him to bring him Down.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Rumours aside while the addo carr is an available option I wouldn't go anywhere near johnson/gagai as he would be a far better option for the same value.

Even if he wasn't, probably not. Neither have ever really had well rounded games, both offer very little ball playing and poor defence. Both are wingers but can't admit it. So for 700k plus or whatever ridiculous money they would be asking for, no way.

We have a more pressing issue we have to and need to solve and that is the retention of Frizell. With all the $$$ being thrown around atm, especially Arrow, Fafita and the young Melb prop wirh the extra long name, so to retain Friz is going to need and upgrade and some careful future cap management. I feel this point is lost on some people.
There is also the JDB case. Jack 550k salary is heavily subsided by the long term player allowance (300k I believe). We wont know the result of that until Feb, so (a) we gave to maintain his salary and allowance and his position within the playing group, and (b) signing Merrin was smart at that time as he was not expensive and can cover lock or prop.
Add to this we still need to find 3 more players (4 if DeBelin case goes south) before March 1 deadline, all within a very tight cap, probably closer to the minimum wage amounts.
And finally, we have a coach who plays favourites, doesnt like any input, plays injured players and prefers journeymen. So, who really wants to come here.

Its a mess, a McGregor mess.

Last edited:

redVinme

Bench
We have a more pressing issue we have to and need to solve and that is the retention of Frizell. With all th $$$ being thrown around atm, especially Arrow, Fafita and the young Melb prop wirh the extra ling name, so to retain Friz is going to need and upgrade and some careful future cap management. I feel this point is lost on some people.
There is also the JDB case. Jack 550k salary is heavily subsided by the long term player allowance (300k I believe). We wont know the result of that until Feb, so (a) we gave to maintain his salary and allowance and his position within the playing group, and (b) signing Merrin was smart at that time as he was not expensive and can cover lock or prop.
Add to this we still need to find 3 more players (4 if DeBelin case goes south) before March 1 deadline, all within a very tight cap, probaly flisef to the minimum wage amounts.
And finally, we have a coach who plays favourites, doesnt like any input, plays injured players and prefers journeymen. So, who really wants to come here.

Its a mess, a McGregor mess.

The biggest issues for me was tino going to the tits for what friz is likely on or more. Very true we will have to manage that carefully if we wish to retain him. How many years to activate long serving player allowence?
Has friz playedong enough to trigger that if we lose jdb? My concern other wise is the other one with a lot of tenure is aitken :sweat_smile:. Surely they couldn't keep him due to that?

I think Merrin was a good option too. Good value and leadership. We are in for some more pain this year but hopefully they stick to their guns tell everyone they see playing for their future and go hard in the market for 2021 for which ever positions come up. I just really hope flanno can get the young backs coming through some support as we never have a shortage of talent but we do have a shortage in the coaching dept where our juniors are missing prime years of development and always seem to bloom late if ever due to this.

IMO of course.

Dragsters

First Grade

I'm with you, neither gagai or Johnston are the answer for our woes...

BLM01

First Grade

Speaking of defensive issues at Souths...the unspoken about back in Roberts is one of their major issues in that department.

lynx000

Juniors
Answer, anyone?

Regarding the broncos, we did not have a star studded roster, we had a very young roster with a lot of potential, but most of our experienced players and leaders had retired in recent years. So we were left with Boyd who unfortunately is not the player he was in 2010 and in my view is a fairly poor leader and one of the worst spines in the comp. Add to that we had a few bad injuries and you get what happened this season.

lynx000

Juniors

Allen was signed by Seibold.

TruSaint

Referee
Regarding the broncos, we did not have a star studded roster, we had a very young roster with a lot of potential, but most of our experienced players and leaders had retired in recent years. So we were left with Boyd who unfortunately is not the player he was in 2010 and in my view is a fairly poor leader and one of the worst spines in the comp. Add to that we had a few bad injuries and you get what happened this season.

I think you are mostly correct.

Boyd was instrumental with us " but never a leader ". He was at his prime as a footballer. Fast, elusive, skilful, etc .. As you correctly note we are talking about 10 years ago.

You do though have a very good squad, be it young.
I still think the jury is out on your coach.
Time will tell.

Having said tat, at least you have time to judge your coach.
We don't.

lynx000

Juniors
I think you are mostly correct.

Boyd was instrumental with us " but never a leader ". He was at his prime as a footballer. Fast, elusive, skilful, etc .. As you correctly note we are talking about 10 years ago.

You do though have a very good squad, be it young.
I still think the jury is out on your coach.
Time will tell.

Having said tat, at least you have time to judge your coach.
We don't.
One thing is for sure, if Seibhold does not have the team performing much better it is likely he will be gone by part way through 2021.

Latest posts