What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Club’s Recruitment Graded

getsmarty

Immortal
I know you were brother. And you are correct about him saying many times " this is the team I wanted ".
Just making my point that Nathan went on to succeed.

Didn't mcGregor make this statement 2017/18/19...I could be wrong tru..but could have sworn it was at least 3 times....you start to lose track of all his excuses...LOL

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Brown was the youngest coach ever to lead an NRL side at just 29 years of age.
He ended up coaching his mates.
It was the wrong time for him to take on the role.
Mary was 46 when he took the helm. and has twice suggested " I have the team I want ".
Given the circumstances, Mary makes Brown look like Bennett.
True but that’s the Brown we had, I can’t judge him on anything other the results he had with the squad he had. He underperformed, so has everyone bar Bennett.

TruSaint

Referee
True but that’s the Brown we had, I can’t judge him on anything other the results he had with the squad he had. He underperformed, so has everyone bar Bennett.

He underperformed mate , yes I agree with you.
The squad was very good.
I don't think he ever should have had the job is my point.

Mary has been shown up year after year with a few years of also " very " good squads.
One moved on to the UK, had success then returned to a messed up Knights. The other has broken every unwanted record and his success rate with us is 7 percentage points lower than Nathans, and is still our coach.

Merry Xmas...

Crush

Coach
Of course you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that however, it is members with your love for Millward that will look very sheepish when Millward does get sacked and the Dragons all of a sudden seem to sign the right players at the right time.

There is no excuse in the world for Millward - who did take credit for the signings of Ravalawa and Pearson as solutions to our wing positions when Macdonald left and Nightingale retired. Signing Maranta and Runciman as our backup centres was also a very very ordinary decision.

The long term extensions to Aitken and Lafai was a major mistake given their previous form; why not a one year extension and if they perform well, another year extension.

Dufty's recent extension was on the back of him being dropped to reserve grade. Now Difty is blocking young guns like Ramsey from being selected as fullback in reserve grade.
Dufty is blocking young guns like Ramsey?
How much of Ramsey have you seen play? What makes you think he is better than Dufty?

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
He underperformed mate , yes I agree with you.
The squad was very good.
I don't think he ever should have had the job is my point.

Mary has been shown up year after year with a few years of also " very " good squads.
One moved on to the UK, had success then returned to a messed up Knights. The other has broken every unwanted record and his success rate with us is 7 percentage points lower than Nathans, and is still our coach.

Merry Xmas...
I strongly agree Mary should have fallen on his sword and went to England by now if that’s any consolation. Merry Xmas to you too.

BLM01

First Grade
Good recruitment officers have a long term plan and rely on the simple rule of recruiting players on a 'like for like or better' rule.

At SGI we have been pre-occupied with buying/retaining/improving our forward pack but not applying the same rule for our back 5, hence the position we are now in. We have gone from a back 5 of Boyd, Morris, Gasnier, Cooper and Nightingale to one of the most inexperienced and least talented back 5 in the competition.

To solely blam Mary - in my opinion the worst coach in the club's history - for the current situation is very convenient at best. Millward has passed up so many opportunities to sign first grade backs for various reasons. None of which cut the mustard especially when he knows Mary's limitations. I mean why constantly provide Mary with players who need further development by the coach when he already knows Mary is not up to it.
To solely blame Millward is also very convenient at best, especially he did not start in the role till 2016.
Look at the side he inherited of that year with exception of Widdop and Frizz and maybe Flo who was nearing the end.

Como Connection

First Grade
To solely blame Millward is also very convenient at best, especially he did not start in the role till 2016.
Look at the side he inherited of that year with exception of Widdop and Frizz and maybe Flo who was nearing the end.
Correct
Possm, I have his phone number, send me a private message then you can resolve your issues with him over the phone.
CC

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Incumbent QLD reps Hunt & Norman
Incumbent NSW reps Vaughan & Sims
Incumbent English rep Graham

Not a bad group to have on your CV..

You forgot to add DeBelin as Incumbent NSW. Also McInness just missed out on NSW..
So from a soft forward pack he inherited to fix he has brought in Vaughn, Graham, McInness, Sims x 2 and Possm is still not happy. Also the halves are capable of being the best in the comp also brought in by Millward. What more can he do?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Millward unfortunately does not coach of pick the squad Possm, that is Mary. You cannot blame him for that. He has assembled a squad that last year were tipped top 4 by many in the media world. They were tipped to make top 4 because of the cattle they had. Sounds to me he has done a good job. Last time they were tipped top 4 was Bennett era and Mullholland was in place after Bennett and before Millward.