What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

TheParraboy

Staff member
Looks like I’m stuck here in Narooma for the time being. Princes Highway closed both north and south due to fires. None of them are all that close to us just yet but we are keeping a very close eye on them.

We’ve had some thunder and lightning and the power to the house has just gone out.
Fun times.

Nice pub there OBriens...

Gronk

Staff member
So, I know nothing about dieting etc...but I do think I've got a bit too much weight on me (I'm 105kg when I should probably be 95kg).

Here's what I eat - feel free to tell me how wrong I am.

I only eat fruit and nuts throughout the day - bananas for breakfast, maybe a peach or pear at lunch, and I might snack on nuts throughout the day (different types of nuts - it just depends on what IGA has on special!)

Then, for dinner, I pretty much cook my own food - no fast food (or rarely, anyways), no prepackaged stuff...this week, for example, I have been having burgers that I made myself - mince, herbs, vegetables, an egg to mix - topped with a fried egg and cheese (tasty cheese from a block) on a hamburger bun (using margarine).

And most of my dinners are like that - roasts with vegetables from my own garden, maybe some marinated chicken breast...a soup that I cook myself...

Probably the one thing that will get me is I am quite partial to a port and ginger ale of an evening.

I pretty much figured that (apart from the drink at night) I don't take in any crap sugar.

Yet, here I am, stuck above 100kg.

Yes, I do deskwork, so that doesn't help. And, no, I don't really exercise. I might go for a walk here and there, blah blah blah, but I don't make sure I run or go to the gym or whatever.

So, is it the case that my diet isn't that bad but I'm just a lazy bum so I'm destined to stay above 100kg unless I get off my fat arse and exercise?
don't eat too much fruit - from what I've read, berries are better fruit .... and the ginger ale would be full of sugar

try things - see what works .... like cut out nearly all bread/pasta/rice/cereal for a month .... you aren't heaps overweight - so it won't just fall off quickly

Agree on the sugary fruits etc. Lots of dieticians refer to sugar as white death.

Below is a simple chart for all you can eat, sometimes and never foods.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
DdBbwiqVQAADj4e.jpg

new%2Balways%2Blist.jpg

new%2Bsometimes%2Blist.jpg

new%2Bred%2Bnever.jpg

Bazal

Post Whore

While I appreciate this seems to represent the extreme end of a carb scare diet, lists like this that oversimplify it down to "Carbs bad!" are the exact thing I was talking about with that cauliflower headed bloke the other day.

Some of those grains in the red list are exceptionally good for you... FFS, seriously

So, I know nothing about dieting etc...but I do think I've got a bit too much weight on me (I'm 105kg when I should probably be 95kg).

I only eat fruit and nuts throughout the day - bananas for breakfast, maybe a peach or pear at lunch, and I might snack on nuts throughout the day (different types of nuts - it just depends on what IGA has on special!)

Then, for dinner, I pretty much cook my own food - no fast food (or rarely, anyways), no prepackaged stuff...this week, for example, I have been having burgers that I made myself - mince, herbs, vegetables, an egg to mix - topped with a fried egg and cheese (tasty cheese from a block) on a hamburger bun (using margarine).

And most of my dinners are like that - roasts with vegetables from my own garden, maybe some marinated chicken breast...a soup that I cook myself...

Probably the one thing that will get me is I am quite partial to a port and ginger ale of an evening.

I pretty much figured that (apart from the drink at night) I don't take in any crap sugar.

Yes, I do deskwork, so that doesn't help. And, no, I don't really exercise. I might go for a walk here and there, blah blah blah, but I don't make sure I run or go to the gym or whatever.

So, is it the case that my diet isn't that bad but I'm just a lazy bum so I'm destined to stay above 100kg unless I get off my fat arse and exercise?
Watch some of the videos I have pointed to. Find out what carbohydrates are and cut them out for a while. And counterintuitively, eat fatty meat.

84 Baby

Referee
While I appreciate this seems to represent the extreme end of a carb scare diet, lists like this that oversimplify it down to "Carbs bad!" are the exact thing I was talking about with that cauliflower headed bloke the other day.

Some of those grains in the red list are exceptionally good for you... FFS, seriously
But they aren’t conducive to weight loss. No food is.
If you want to lose weight, “eating healthy” is such a very small component

Bazal

Post Whore
But they aren’t conducive to weight loss. No food is.
If you want to lose weight, “eating healthy” is such a very small component

Eating healthy is actually the largest component. Exercise is surprisingly small, but still very important.

hindy111

Post Whore
HJ it sounds like your body is slowing down.
I wouldn't be that concerned if your heart and cholesterol are fine. You still want to enjoy your diet rather then restrict yourself completely.
You are also a very tall man. 105kgs seems fine

Oh, and margarine is poison. Use butter. The 'low fat' stuff is killing people.

Bazal

Post Whore
FFS as if the smoke didn't suck enough, now we've got smoke and a dust storm.

Lets just move Canberra entirely

84 Baby

Referee
Eating healthy is actually the largest component. Exercise is surprisingly small, but still very important.
Eating smart is important. You can smash all the carbs you want if you time it with burning it out.
But if you are eating healthy but not doing exercise then either don’t expect to lose weight quickly, or if you do lose any real noticeable weight, it won’t be healthy (it’s your body consuming itself for calories).
Exercise is more important because we’re not cavemen and calories aren’t that hard to find time for

Bazal

Post Whore
Eating smart is important. You can smash all the carbs you want if you time it with burning it out.
But if you are eating healthy but not doing exercise then either don’t expect to lose weight quickly, or if you do lose any real noticeable weight, it won’t be healthy (it’s your body consuming itself for calories).
Exercise is more important because we’re not cavemen and calories aren’t that hard to find time for

Yeah 100%. But eating healthy, or smart, or both, is the foundation. Exercise is the kicker.

As I said yesterday, exercise is definitely important, especially in terms of beating plateaus in weight loss etc.

Gronk

Staff member

You are confusing a weight reduction diet with a weight maintenance diet. I think most people understand what a healthy diet is - when you reach your goal weight.

HealthyEatingPyramid.jpg