What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corey Norman??

BLM01

First Grade
What are the Broncos like in the halves? Have they found a first grade standard halfback yet? If not, there’s probably your answer.
Brodie Croft..there is your answer to their 7 problem and they have a few also lining up well before Sailor in the halves in their ranks.
Sailor scored 1 good try against a Roosters team who had puit the cue in the rack after they flogging us in the 1st half.
I think he could be a good fullback or 5/8th in the future but not quite yet.
Brisbane dont need another Sailor although it is a feel good story for the journos and for The Dell....so lets run with that

Belta

Juniors
I think you make some valid observations but the knock on effect of that laid back demeanour is that he is not competitive against the other top 5/8's in the comp.
Lust look at Keary, Whighton, Munster and a stand out that finished in 2019, Maloney.
Norman is not going to go head to head with these guys and come out on top for exactly the reasons you outline.
Norman is more like Shaun Johnson.
Sometimes brilliant, but unlikely to lead your team to a premiership.

Agree 100% that Norman looks to be Just going through the motions, It is certainly demeanour but I suspect both Norman and Hunt do have another level in them and in the right environment I think they could deliver in the big games providing they take ownership and equally important get the same support afforded to the other halves. For that to happen they need to play better, but so does a lot of others.

I can see why the examples of Keary, Whighton and Munster were used as they certainly fired. Its worth noting how well they were supported, eg Melb, Canberra, Roosters were the top 3 in PCM, the dragons were dead last, a long way behind, and the same story for other stats including kick return metres and so on.

Those three had fullbacks, wingers and centres ( and even their forwards due to depth) assisted in getting field position for attacking plays. Of course this is no revelation, it was clear to all, that the dragons collectively underperformed on many levels.

So for me it starts from scratch, I’ll reserve judgement, with fingers crossed to see if they’ve left the excuse bag behind this year, if Hunt can steel his emotions if they can over come the disadvantage of the Mary factor and show some accountability, individually and as a group.

TruSaint

Referee
Agree 100% that Norman looks to be Just going through the motions, It is certainly demeanour but I suspect both Norman and Hunt do have another level in them and in the right environment I think they could deliver in the big games providing they take ownership and equally important get the same support afforded to the other halves. For that to happen they need to play better, but so does a lot of others.

I can see why the examples of Keary, Whighton and Munster were used as they certainly fired. Its worth noting how well they were supported, eg Melb, Canberra, Roosters were the top 3 in PCM, the dragons were dead last, a long way behind, and the same story for other stats including kick return metres and so on.

Those three had fullbacks, wingers and centres ( and even their forwards due to depth) assisted in getting field position for attacking plays. Of course this is no revelation, it was clear to all, that the dragons collectively underperformed on many levels.

So for me it starts from scratch, I’ll reserve judgement, with fingers crossed to see if they’ve left the excuse bag behind this year, if Hunt can steel his emotions if they can over come the disadvantage of the Mary factor and show some accountability, individually and as a group.

Good post.
Agree with your sentiment. Its important to have the collective, but some standout performances by these 2 in an average side would be welcome. Too hot and cold from what I have seen.

Last edited:

Belta

Juniors
Good post.
Agree with your sentiment. Its important to have the collective, but some standout performances by these 2 in an average side would be welcome. Too hot and cold from what I have seen.

Yep I also see this to be the case. If playing to their potential the difference between winning and losing is the clutch plays. It’s when the marque players (Norman being one) justify their marque wages and deliver the goods. Time for ours to deliver.

Old Timer

Coach
Yep I also see this to be the case. If playing to their potential the difference between winning and losing is the clutch plays. It’s when the marque players (Norman being one) justify their marque wages and deliver the goods. Time for ours to deliver.
If they haven't delivered before what will be the catalyst that will make them deliver now?
For Hunt to shine he needs absolutely everything else around him to be top shelf, highly organised and structured.
For Norman to shine he needs absolutely everything else around him to be top shelf, highly motivated with a sense of style and flair.
None of the above are words that can be associated with our team.

Old Timer

Coach
New coach.

Sack Mary.

/thread
Everyone knows we don't have a new coach nor will we for the next year or 2 so if they think Norman & Hunt are going to "step up" then surely there has to be some reasoning behind that or is this the "hope" thread?

Last edited:

Belta

Juniors
If they haven't delivered before what will be the catalyst that will make them deliver now?
For Hunt to shine he needs absolutely everything else around him to be top shelf, highly organised and structured.
For Norman to shine he needs absolutely everything else around him to be top shelf, highly motivated with a sense of style and flair.
None of the above are words that can be associated with our team.

Don’t get me wrong Its reasonable enough what you say, but the problem is if I agree with your post am I resigning myself to the fact our play makers are duds and therefore we will have another disastrous season? Last season was bad enough,

Na ah ah. Im atleast starting off positive. I see Flanagan implementing a improved defensive structure and more variation in attack. The teams overall mindset will improve benefiting Norman and Hunt. A further catalyst for improvement will be brought about by the desperation to erase last season’s disappointment and the overall result being a better season for Norman, the Dragons and of course for us fans.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Everyone knows we don't have a new coach nor will we for the next year or 2 so if they think Norman & Hunt are going to "step up" then surely there has to be some reasoning behind that or is the "hope" thread?

I think it's unlikely, but I reckon Norman could step up. He's 28 and if he wants to keep playing in his 30's he only has two contract years to prove his worth to the market, and that he can control a side. I have far more faith in Norman having a big year than Hunt, who seems continually distracted.

It's just conjecture on my part, but I haven't written Norman off yet.

Old Timer

Coach
Don’t get me wrong Its reasonable enough what you say, but the problem is if I agree with your post am I resigning myself to the fact our play makers are duds and therefore we will have another disastrous season? Last season was bad enough,

Na ah ah. Im atleast starting off positive. I see Flanagan implementing a improved defensive structure and more variation in attack. The teams overall mindset will improve benefiting Norman and Hunt. A further catalyst for improvement will be brought about by the desperation to erase last season’s disappointment and the overall result being a better season for Norman, the Dragons and of course for us fans.

I think it's unlikely, but I reckon Norman could step up. He's 28 and if he wants to keep playing in his 30's he only has two contract years to prove his worth to the market, and that he can control a side. I have far more faith in Norman having a big year than Hunt, who seems continually distracted.

It's just conjecture on my part, but I haven't written Norman off yet.
Lets' hope you guys are correct and that I get to eat humble pie.
I think everything we need to know will be revealed very quickly in the trials as to if there is a change of attitude and methodology regarding our team.
If the trials are just like the last 3 or 4 years then brace yourselves for a very ordinary year because if it doesn't change from day 1 it never will.

possm

Coach
I think everything we need to know will be revealed very quickly in the trials as to if there is a change of attitude and methodology regarding our team.
If the trials are just like the last 3 or 4 years then brace yourselves for a very ordinary year because if it doesn't change from day 1 it never will.
I'll be looking at the first 3 rounds of 2020 rather than the trials. I'll be hoping to see:
Lomax handle the fullback role competently
One of our new young guns on the left wing
Lafai playing really well or in Canterbury Cup
Aitken replaced by Ravalawa who is performing very well at 3
Saab continuing to perform well on the right wing
Hunt as a running five-eighth in the 6 jumper
Norman at halfback on the left side running the team
De Belin being cleared and playing well at lock
T Sims and Frizell our first choice edge forwards and showing great form
Vaughan and Merrin being our first choice props and showing great form
The hooker rotation of McInnes and Luke proving to be a master stroke

A bench of K Sims, Kerr, Lawrie and Luke being used well and proving to be a solid change up when they come on the field.

All due to the great work of Flanagan.

BLM01

First Grade
I'll be looking at the first 3 rounds of 2020 rather than the trials. I'll be hoping to see:
Lomax handle the fullback role competently
One of our new young guns on the left wing
Lafai playing really well or in Canterbury Cup
Aitken replaced by Ravalawa who is performing very well at 3
Saab continuing to perform well on the right wing
Hunt as a running five-eighth in the 6 jumper
Norman at halfback on the left side running the team
De Belin being cleared and playing well at lock
T Sims and Frizell our first choice edge forwards and showing great form
Vaughan and Merrin being our first choice props and showing great form
The hooker rotation of McInnes and Luke proving to be a master stroke

A bench of K Sims, Kerr, Lawrie and Luke being used well and proving to be a solid change up when they come on the field.

All due to the great work of Flanagan.
Lot of good points but....
Rav wont be playing 3..and will be likely winger with Saab
Hunt & Norman already play right and left respectively as per your wish so a change of jumper wont help
You have left out Graham which they most certainly wont do....unless he retires himself

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade

Unfortunately OT, trials ain't what they used to be. Expect Norman and Hunt to play token minutes, just to 'blow the cobwebs out', in the trials. Trials nowadays seem to he more geared to the fringe players.

possm

Coach
Lot of good points but....
Rav wont be playing 3..and will be likely winger with Saab
Hunt & Norman already play right and left respectively as per your wish so a change of jumper wont help
You have left out Graham which they most certainly wont do....unless he retires himself
Saab and Ravalawa are both right wingers
If Lomax plays fullback we need someone other than Aitken at 3
Norman and Hunt may stay on their current side of the field but Norman to be first receiver and running the game while Hunt to be a running 6
If Graham plays in round 1, he will retire at the very next concussion

Latest posts