What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next Time On An All New TV General Discussion Thread

AJB1102

First Grade
Just jumped on the mr inbetween wagon. Love it. Dad put it in words to sell it to me in a way that i cant come up with a better description.

"picture ray donovan set in western sydney"

Yep its an awesome show. I got a shitload of mates on to it but the one who loves it most out of anyone I mentioned it to is my mum lol and she's more into Villiage Vets and Great Aussie Bakeoff.

Springs09

Juniors
His Dark Materials has been pretty good so far and very restrained for a HBO show. The CGI for the polar bear is among the best I've seen in recent years.

Watched the first episode of the new Foxtel show Upright. Main character is pretty funny but falls into a lot of Australian cliches, mainly the teenage girl character whose every second word is 'f**k' or 'cock' etc. But it has some promise.

Xcalibre

Juniors
I’m around half way through Ozark s.2 and am still enjoying all the crazy twists and turns, but it’s a bit too full on. As a person with short attention span it’s good, but it just comes off as unbelievable.

Timbo

Staff member
Upright on Foxtel.

Really enjoyable, some very funny moments. Also, several shots right to the feels.

Binged through the second season of Mr. Inbetween this week. Man, what a series! Any idea if theyre gonna push a third one through?

T-Boon

Coach
Really looking forward to The Outsider which starts on or about 13 January on Fox.
I enjoyed the first half of the book immensely then when it turned all Stephen Kingy I thought it wasn't so great. TV show looks terrific.

Springs09

Juniors
It's crap

Another victim of the cynical gritty reboot trend.

Hopefully this cynical shit that's pervaded modern television comes to an end soon.

Edit: Nothing says 2019 like Scrooge being molested as a boy then later in life propositioning Bob Cratchit's black wife in exchange for money for Tiny Tim's surgery.

Last edited:

azzah72

Bench
Just finished upright, the Aussie show on Foxtel starring Tim Michin.

Didn't know what I was getting into but ended up really enjoying it.

Great road trip show that ends up hitting you with some great emotional punch.

The young actress playing Meg is fantastic.

As with most road trip stories, there's a bit of convenience and outlandishness bit in general it just a great, low investment time adventure.

Between this and Mr inbetween, some good Aussie shows getting my attention recently.

8/10

azzah72

Bench
Just finished Watchmen and the 2 seasons of fleabag.

They were both really f**king good.

I'd heard the hype about fleabag and thought it would disappoint, it did not. It's great.

Watchmen was fantastic, everything worked and just wrote a really f**king compelling story.

I also finished Silicon Valley, f**k I'm going to miss those characters, such a hoot.

Springs09

Juniors
Finished Upright. Had a fair few average episodes but the last episode was lovely. Good series without being anything sensational.

The Outsider may be a perfect example of how not everything should be a TV series. Excellent, fast-paced opener with several mysteries and interesting characters. Momentum is totally killed off in the second episode with the pacing slowing to a crawl and a bunch of unnecessary scenes. They are about halfway through the book I think already so I don't know where the next 8 episodes are gonna come from. Would probably have been better as a movie or a limited series with 3 or 4 episodes.

Timbo

Staff member
The Outsider may be a perfect example of how not everything should be a TV series. Excellent, fast-paced opener with several mysteries and interesting characters. Momentum is totally killed off in the second episode with the pacing slowing to a crawl and a bunch of unnecessary scenes. They are about halfway through the book I think already so I don't know where the next 8 episodes are gonna come from. Would probably have been better as a movie or a limited series with 3 or 4 episodes.

I think there might be a few pretty upset people before long. I'm seeing so many people online make comparisons to The Night Of and True Detective. I can't wait to see what people say when it goes full Stephen King

Latest posts