What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Bazal

Post Whore
Now arson is not a real thing? Or just not something activists would do?
b00.jpg

strider

Post Whore
warragamba is supposedly around 43% now .... it was around 29% in what 2005/6/7? .... i can't recall the pictures but f**k it must have looked bad then

T.S Quint

Coach
So after an interesting time at our property in Narooma, my partner, my daughter and I are now back at home in Sydney.

After I posted the other day about the power going out all communications went down. The whole place was as dark as if the sun was going down, despite it being 11am. We could see the glow of the fire coming from the other side of Mt Gulaga. After about half an hour the glow was getting much brighter, so we packed up and headed to a relative's place in Dalmeny, right across from the beach.
My partner's mum and brother stayed behind at the Narooma farm to keep an eye on everything.

We had no power from the morning of NYE up until about just before midnight on the 1st, so not that long really. Communications were still down for a while after that. Woolies was open for a short time after the power went out because of backup generators, but it didn't last for long. Everything was shut. Couldn't get any food so had to make do with whatever we already had, which for us was fine but plenty of others would have been struggling a bit (people camping and whatnot).

Everyone's main concern was getting fuel so that they could eventually get out of the place as soon as the highway opened. One servo eventually got a generator hooked up to one of the pumps (just one) to get it going and put petrol in cars. The line up for this one pump was unbelievable. I drove past the servo and saw the generator getting hooked up at about 7pm, drove my family home and had a quick dinner then grabbed a book and headed back to line up. Sat in a line of around a hundred cars until I finally got a full tank of petrol. Took 4 hours.

Was able to leave on the 2nd but had to go south to Bega, then across the Snowy Mountain Hwy to Cooma, then up to Canberra. A trip that would normally take 4 hours took 8 hrs. We stayed with relatives in Canberra for the night then drove home on the 3rd. Was quite the trip. Saw a lot of devastation from the fires, drove past Cobargo which was very sad to look at.

The winds are expected to bring the fires into Narooma today. Good chance we will lose the house there. Possibly the other house in Dalmeny as well. It's reached the end of Wagonga Inlet and is moving east.

Suitman

Post Whore
@Gronk

Here's your pyrocumulonimbus.

It's not a buzz word. It's always been a thing. This one taken just now from the Currowan fire, near Nowra. Currently under an emergency warning.
It's creates it's own lightning, but rarely has rain, so are very dangerous as the lightning starts new fires.

81101557_10157578711300552_2237114379902386176_n.png

Suitman

Post Whore
So after an interesting time at our property in Narooma, my partner, my daughter and I are now back at home in Sydney.

After I posted the other day about the power going out all communications went down. The whole place was as dark as if the sun was going down, despite it being 11am. We could see the glow of the fire coming from the other side of Mt Gulaga. After about half an hour the glow was getting much brighter, so we packed up and headed to a relative's place in Dalmeny, right across from the beach.
My partner's mum and brother stayed behind at the Narooma farm to keep an eye on everything.

We had no power from the morning of NYE up until about just before midnight on the 1st, so not that long really. Communications were still down for a while after that. Woolies was open for a short time after the power went out because of backup generators, but it didn't last for long. Everything was shut. Couldn't get any food so had to make do with whatever we already had, which for us was fine but plenty of others would have been struggling a bit (people camping and whatnot).

Everyone's main concern was getting fuel so that they could eventually get out of the place as soon as the highway opened. One servo eventually got a generator hooked up to one of the pumps (just one) to get it going and put petrol in cars. The line up for this one pump was unbelievable. I drove past the servo and saw the generator getting hooked up at about 7pm, drove my family home and had a quick dinner then grabbed a book and headed back to line up. Sat in a line of around a hundred cars until I finally got a full tank of petrol. Took 4 hours.

Was able to leave on the 2nd but had to go south to Bega, then across the Snowy Mountain Hwy to Cooma, then up to Canberra. A trip that would normally take 4 hours took 8 hrs. We stayed with relatives in Canberra for the night then drove home on the 3rd. Was quite the trip. Saw a lot of devastation from the fires, drove past Cobargo which was very sad to look at.

The winds are expected to bring the fires into Narooma today. Good chance we will lose the house there. Possibly the other house in Dalmeny as well. It's reached the end of Wagonga Inlet and is moving east.

Thanks Quint. Awful story that can be repeated 1000 times over by many. Glad you are safe.
Lucky we are a civilized country tbh. Anarchy would break out in lesser developed countries under similar circumstances.
There has been the odd douche bag looting abandoned houses etc...…, but there appears to have been a massive amount of patience displayed by the majority of the community.
Good luck with the houses down there. Hop they stay untouched.

strider

Post Whore

glad you are safe ... thanks for the info .... lets pray today doesn't get as bad as expected

what is your families plan if the fires come? To leave? Or try and fight it?

strider

Post Whore
Thanks Quint. Awful story that can be repeated 1000 times over by many. Glad you are safe.
Lucky we are a civilized country tbh. Anarchy would break out in lesser developed countries under similar circumstances.
There has been the odd douche bag looting abandoned houses etc...…, but there appears to have been a massive amount of patience displayed by the majority of the community.
Good luck with the houses down there. Hop they stay untouched.
I saw a story on the news this morning ... woman who left her property on her horse .... when they returned their house had been totally ransacked - including the water pump and all the water was just running out of the tank ..... can't believe people :(