What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL in 4k

Panfas

Juniors
2-3 games per round in 2019 was in 4K. Why would 2020 be any different?

This is from their website: https://www.foxtel.com.au/shop/ultra-hd.html

FOX SPORTS Ultra HD will make you feel like you’re in the grandstand. Foxtel, the only way to watch your favourite sports in 4K, including every day of the Domain Test series, every match of the Gillette ODI and T20INTL series, selected games of the 2020 Telstra NRL and 2020 Toyota AFL premierships, every race of the 2019 FIA Formula One World Championship:tm: plus a whole lot more

Generalzod

Immortal
What are the benefits of 4k? The picture on my screen is excellent. More than good enough , I would have thought. So why would I get 4k?
Look if your using a 4K projector you’ll notice the difference other than that you’ll probably wouldn’t tell the difference on your normal 55inch tv

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just trying to decide if to upgrade my old tv with a new smart one. If I do then I’ll likely ditch foxtel for streaming services. Interested in what is being streamed in 4k, if I’m buying it in a new tv might as well get most out of it.

Xcalibre

Juniors
I’ve got a 2 y.o 75” Panasonic LED UHD TV and watched the recent 9s in 4k and some of the WC 9s from last year. Small details like the players’ faces are sharper. It’s basically like watching in person.

Like @Generalzod said 55” and smaller you probably won’t see much difference, but 65” & above, there’s certainly improvement. As to how much, it depends on the source. Also, 4 times the resolution of HD is not even the best part of a UHD TV. The HDR and wide colour gamut probably add more, creating a rich, more realistic image. Again depends on the source as I’m not sure I’ve seen HDR on anything other than UHD discs. Perhaps a show on Amazon Prime. Even on blurays (the best way to see the brilliance of 4k) there is quite a bit of variation in image quality depending on the way the film was shot etc.

I’ve had buyer’s remorse in the past (mainly because uhd blurays are exxy) but glad I got the TV now. I’ve watched/recorded lots of uhd foxtel movies, which even if paying for it (it’s been free for almost 12 months) is much better value than buying discs.

Even playing PS4 pro, it makes a big difference (mainly the HDR on games that have it) e.g; MLB: The Show 19 looks less harsh and more natural with HDR on. PS5 and upcoming xbox will be even better.

I’d say get one for sure if you can. The list of movies and content available is growing rapidly now and the TVs are improving heaps too.

Netflix, Prime and Apple TV have plenty of content. Youtube too.

Latest posts