What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

Spot On

Coach
I wouldn’t believe that mate, I believe if he comes it’s to play fullback and the talk I’ve heard is around the 800k ball park.

Agreed. It's only a few involved with the club who don't consider him worth much more than 600 - 650K a season.

Rabbit toes

First Grade
3 managers in 8 months.
Maybe it’s not the managers who are at fault here. Maybe someone has bought into his own hype and has been slapped back to reality over the last few months while this has all drawn out.
Tbh I don’t care if he comes to Souths or not. The way the whole contract saga has gone down doesn’t make me think he cares either.

Peter Quinn

Juniors
3 managers in 8 months.
Maybe it’s not the managers who are at fault here. Maybe someone has bought into his own hype and has been slapped back to reality over the last few months while this has all drawn out.
Tbh I don’t care if he comes to Souths or not. The way the whole contract saga has gone down doesn’t make me think he cares either.
The new one is a Souths die hard.

LittleWayne

Juniors
3 managers in 8 months.

That Mitchell cares? I'd says it's the opposite.

callmack1

Staff member
Agent war stalls Latrell Mitchell move to South Sydney

Nick Walshaw , The Daily Telegraph

January 4, 2020 4:37pm
Roosters superstar Latrell Mitchell has become embroiled in yet another agent war.

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal Mitchell, who is represented by manager Wayde Rushton, has requested an immediate release to join the stable of rival NRL agent and boxing promoter Matt Rose.

The switch, which would be the 22-year-old’s third agent change in less than eight months, comes as talks between the Kangaroo and South Sydney intensify.

The reigning premiers officially return to pre-season training Monday, but it is understood Mitchell won’t commit anywhere until the management change is finalised.

For months, now, it has been claimed Rose has been speaking on Mitchell’s behalf with officials from Souths, Wests Tigers and the Roosters.

In an interview with The Daily Telegraph shortly before Christmas, however, the agent said he had no professional control over the Australian Test star and was not involved with any potential move to South Sydney.

Rose added he had no clue where Mitchell was headed for the upcoming season and said it was not his intention to get involved.

Rushton, meanwhile, looked set to make Mitchell rugby league’s newest $1 million man — as well as getting him a desired switch to fullback.

Apart from securing the Kangaroo incumbent a four-year deal with Wests Tigers worth upwards of $4 million, Rushton had also negotiated a bumper Adidas sponsorship.

Latrell Mitchell is odds-on to join Souths.

Elsewhere, the agent had also been negotiating with Bunnies officials to have rugby league’s top pointscorer potentially jump the fence to Redfern for 2020.

Only last May, Mitchell spoke glowingly of his move to Rushton’s camp after the Roosters poster boy endured a public falling out with manager Steve Deacon, telling The Daily Telegraph: “There were days I couldn’t get out of bed.”

At the time, the centre conceded his public break-up with Deacon, coupled with rumours about him being unhappy at the Roosters,then wanting to join Sydney rivals like Souths and Parramatta, had taken a heavy toll.

Bunnies coach Wayne Bennett is understandably a huge Mitchell fan and would obviously enjoy the challenge that is getting the best from the mercurial three-quarter.

Already, Rose has solid links to Souths given one of his clients is Bunnies No.6 Cody Walker.

The brother of retired NRL cult favourite George Rose also manages NSW Origin incumbent Jack Wighton.

And now it seems Mitchell will be the latest indigenous star to join his small stable.

While Rushton has secured the $4 million Tigers deal, it is understood the management switch could be finalised as soon as Tuesday.

While the reigning premiers remain keen to get Mitchell off their books immediately, Roosters coach Trent Robinson has rejected reports suggesting he will dump the centre to reserve grade if he chooses to see out the last year of his deal.

As of Saturday afternoon, Roosters coaching staff were expecting Mitchell to show at training on Monday morning.
Man, who knows what's going on?! We may not know until late next week!

callmack1

Staff member
From the Daily Telegraph,

Wayne Bennett backflip: Rabbitohs in the hunt for Latrell Mitchell

Just last month, Wayne Bennett insisted he didn’t want to sign Latrell Mitchell, saying: “We won’t be signing Latrell — we have enough centres.” Now he appears to have softened his stance.

South Sydney coach Wayne Bennett appears to have performed another Olympic-standard backflip and now wants to pursue Sydney Roosters star Latrell Mitchell, who is poised to employ a new player-manager.

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal Mitchell has just about reached a payout figure to split with manager Wayde Rushton in favour of Matt Rose, the agent who is brother to former Manly prop George.

Well-placed sources suggest influential connections extremely close to Souths have offered to stump up the payout money, aware Rose has strong links at Redfern.

If the payout deal can be finalised today, Souths and Rose could hold talks over Mitchell as early as Monday.

It can also be revealed Bennett has spoken with Rushton about Mitchell’s management situation. Rushton’s release figure for Mitchell was originally around $140,000 but that figure has fallen.

Rose also manages indigenous stars Jack Wighton and Cody Walker. Souths are aware their chances of signing Mitchell would increase if the club dealt with Rose.

Just last month, Bennett insisted he didn’t want the 22-year-old Mitchell, saying: “We won’t be signing Latrell — we have enough centres. I am happy with Braidon Burns and James Roberts.”

Now it looks as though Bennett has softened his stance and wants to consider signing Mitchell to a one-year deal on a reduced contact.

Bennett has previously backflipped after telling the media he wasn’t chasing James Roberts. In April, 2019, Bennett slammed press reports he was pursuing Roberts, saying: “It starts with you guys (the media) sitting in coffee rooms and thinking ‘what am I going to make up today’. Then you ring me and say ‘have you been talking to so and so?’” Bennett signed Roberts soon after.

Signing Mitchell for 2020 would allow Souths the necessary time to offload players — possibly Dane Gagai and Alex Johnston — to accommodate the Roosters champion long term.

Rabbitohs co-owner Russell Crowe hasn’t publicly spoken about Mitchell but it is known the Hollywood star is a big fan of the NSW and Kangaroos centre.

It is unknown whether Crowe and Bennett have spoken about Mitchell.

Souths’ recruitment of Gold Coast prop Jai Arrow from 2021 ensures a tight salary cap at Redfern. The club has money in its cap for 2020 but Arrow is likely to secure an early release and play at Redfern this season.

Mitchell is due at Roosters training on Monday but it is unlikely he will appear. Sources close to the Roosters claim Mitchell won’t be at Bondi this season, even though he has a contract for 2020.

Mitchell rejected what many thought was the ideal offer — a $4m, four-year contract to play his preferred fullback position at Wests Tigers.

Speculation has been strong for weeks that Souths would look to grant early releases should Gagai and Johnston secure other clubs.

Mitchell has been encouraged by trusted friends to join Wests Tigers but it appears he isn’t interested.

Rabbits20

Immortal
From the Daily Telegraph,

Wayne Bennett backflip: Rabbitohs in the hunt for Latrell Mitchell

Just last month, Wayne Bennett insisted he didn’t want to sign Latrell Mitchell, saying: “We won’t be signing Latrell — we have enough centres.” Now he appears to have softened his stance.

South Sydney coach Wayne Bennett appears to have performed another Olympic-standard backflip and now wants to pursue Sydney Roosters star Latrell Mitchell, who is poised to employ a new player-manager.

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal Mitchell has just about reached a payout figure to split with manager Wayde Rushton in favour of Matt Rose, the agent who is brother to former Manly prop George.

Well-placed sources suggest influential connections extremely close to Souths have offered to stump up the payout money, aware Rose has strong links at Redfern.

If the payout deal can be finalised today, Souths and Rose could hold talks over Mitchell as early as Monday.

It can also be revealed Bennett has spoken with Rushton about Mitchell’s management situation. Rushton’s release figure for Mitchell was originally around $140,000 but that figure has fallen.

Rose also manages indigenous stars Jack Wighton and Cody Walker. Souths are aware their chances of signing Mitchell would increase if the club dealt with Rose.

Just last month, Bennett insisted he didn’t want the 22-year-old Mitchell, saying: “We won’t be signing Latrell — we have enough centres. I am happy with Braidon Burns and James Roberts.”

Now it looks as though Bennett has softened his stance and wants to consider signing Mitchell to a one-year deal on a reduced contact.

Bennett has previously backflipped after telling the media he wasn’t chasing James Roberts. In April, 2019, Bennett slammed press reports he was pursuing Roberts, saying: “It starts with you guys (the media) sitting in coffee rooms and thinking ‘what am I going to make up today’. Then you ring me and say ‘have you been talking to so and so?’” Bennett signed Roberts soon after.

Signing Mitchell for 2020 would allow Souths the necessary time to offload players — possibly Dane Gagai and Alex Johnston — to accommodate the Roosters champion long term.

Rabbitohs co-owner Russell Crowe hasn’t publicly spoken about Mitchell but it is known the Hollywood star is a big fan of the NSW and Kangaroos centre.

It is unknown whether Crowe and Bennett have spoken about Mitchell.

Souths’ recruitment of Gold Coast prop Jai Arrow from 2021 ensures a tight salary cap at Redfern. The club has money in its cap for 2020 but Arrow is likely to secure an early release and play at Redfern this season.

Mitchell is due at Roosters training on Monday but it is unlikely he will appear. Sources close to the Roosters claim Mitchell won’t be at Bondi this season, even though he has a contract for 2020.

Mitchell rejected what many thought was the ideal offer — a $4m, four-year contract to play his preferred fullback position at Wests Tigers.

Speculation has been strong for weeks that Souths would look to grant early releases should Gagai and Johnston secure other clubs.

Mitchell has been encouraged by trusted friends to join Wests Tigers but it appears he isn’t interested.
Sounds promising bro, a one year deal would help us sort out our cap too!

I have another article!

Latrell Mitchell employs third player manager in eight months as Bunnies move looms

Latrell Mitchell is set to employ his third agent in eight months, as Wayne Bennett appears likely to make an offer of a one-year deal which will see the Roosters outcast join the Rabbitohs.

The Sunday Telegraph reports that Mitchell has ditched Wayde Rushton following a split with Steve Deacon last year.

Now Mitchell appears ready to link with Matt Rose, brother of former Manly prop George, and the manager of Jack Wighton and Cody Walker.

Rose has recently delivered a contract extension for Walker, with that link expected to help deliver Mitchell to the Bunnies.

Bennett is said to be interested in Mitchell if he can sign the NSW Blues and Kangaroos centre on a reduced deal for 2020.

That’s despite him saying last month: “We won’t be signing Latrell — we have enough centres. I am happy with Braidon Burns and James Roberts.”

Now though, he has warmed to the idea after Souths secured Jai Arrow as Sam Burgess’ replacement.

If they can get Mitchell’s signature, Souths would look to offload Dane Gagai and Alex Johnston to make room on the salary cap and in their backline.

Mitchell is due to return to Roosters training on Monday, but the Chooks reportedly want him off their books for this season.

The Test star has already rejected an offer to join the Wests Tigers.

[/URL]

Rabbits20

Immortal
I’ve been pretty off with my rumours lately but I’m 100% sure Latrell will be a bunny next year. I will stop posting if it doesn’t eventuate.
FFFFIIIIRRRREEEEE UUUPPP BRO!!!

I am, it’s time to get ready and start looking for the champagne and beers etc.... I am whatever you fancy lads!

This is massive! A massive day it’ll be later next week in history of our club!

Rabbits20

Immortal
I’ve been pretty off with my rumours lately but I’m 100% sure Latrell will be a bunny next year. I will stop posting if it doesn’t eventuate.
Brother check your emails, I have had a couple of things to tell you, I am sure you’ve been busy but wanted you to know what I had to tell ya!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Latrell’s one-year deal with Souths: ballsy or just plain dumb?

By Andrew Webster The Age
5 January 2020

From day one, Latrell Mitchell has said his next contract is about doing what’s best for his family.

As it stands, he’s looking at the very risky proposition of signing a one-year deal with South Sydney worth about $400,000 and then hoping the club can move on other players to accommodate a sizeable extension from 2021.

It will be the ballsiest career move from a player in recent times or the dumbest, depending on how you look at it. There’s certainly no security in it.

The last bona fide superstar in his prime to play from year to year in the NRL was Sonny Bill Williams with the Roosters in 2013 and 2014.

Williams was on a $1 million a year, had already earned a pile of money playing for the All Blacks, and also enjoyed a fatherly relationship with chairman Nick Politis, who would help him with whatever he needed during and then after his career.

And he was SBW. Only a player in possession of that ability, physique, self-discipline and self-belief could pull it off.

Mitchell is not that player. Not yet.

If he suffers a serious injury, or dips dramatically in form, he will lose all bargaining power.

But that’s the scenario taking shape for the 22-year-old as his contract negotiations border on the ridiculous.

Reports exploded to life over the weekend about him being on the verge of finally doing a deal with Souths — where he has been tipped for weeks to eventually land — as he changes manager for the third time in eight months.

It’s a little more complicated than that, however. There are many more dominoes left to fall.

Mitchell’s accredited manager, Wayde Rushton, has been working out a pay-out with Mitchell’s unofficial manager, boxing promoter Matt Rose, and now it might happen.

Anyone with any vague knowledge of the Latrell saga is aware how Rose has effectively been acting as his agent for months — stretching back to May last year when Mitchell ended his relationship with his first manager, Steve Deacon.

Rushton has been trying to work out for weeks where he stands with Mitchell, without much luck let alone a return phone call.

He was seeking a $150,000 payout to get out of his management deal but was offered only $5000 just before Christmas. A settlement is expected to be reached by Tuesday.

But anyone who thinks Mitchell is a done deal at Redfern as soon as he switches from Rushton to Rose is getting ahead of themselves.

The priority for Souths head of football Shane Richardson is Jai Arrow.

Souths coach Wayne Bennett has been in contact with Rose directly, but suggestions that a deal with Mitchell is being pieced together behind Richardson’s back have been denied.

Souths wants Arrow a year earlier from the Gold Coast Titans after signing him just before Christmas on a four-year deal from 2021.

But the Titans are unlikely to let that happen unless the Storm release Tino Fa’asuamaleaui, who has signed with the Titans from 2021, or Souths can give them another player.

Dane Gagai’s name keeps getting mentioned but he has no intention of going to the Gold Coast, last year’s wooden-spooners.

If Arrow does end up coming to Souths early — as is eventually expected — it will leave the Rabbitohs with about $400,000 of salary cap space to accommodate Mitchell for one year.

The Roosters are prepared to pay some of his wage this year, but only so much.

“If anyone thinks we’re paying $400,000 for one of our players to play for South Sydney, they are kidding,” said one Rooster source familiar with the negotiations.

The longer the saga drags on, though, the more money the Roosters have to pay Mitchell, a player who is contracted until November but a player they no longer want.

They are also eyeing off Storm winger Josh Addo-Carr, who will be released from his Storm deal early on compassionate grounds but only on the condition of them getting a player of the same value as Addo-Carr, a NSW and Australian representative.

Meanwhile, the Roosters crank up preparations for their premiership defence when training resumes on Monday morning.

It remains unclear if Mitchell will be there, although it appears unlikely he will be walking through the crowd of fans on their way to the Test match at the SCG as the squad makes its way to Kippax Lake.

Mitchell can make whatever decision he wants about his future — but it’s unfortunate he won’t be there with them.

In time, in the right circumstances, he could be Sonny-esque.

In early November, he knocked back a $2.4 million, three-year extension with the Roosters, with a coach like Trent Robinson in his corner, playing on a left-edge that includes Luke Keary, Boyd Cordner and Daniel Tupou.

What was the best option for Latrell Mitchell? It was obvious then, and it’s even more so now.

luv my panfas

Juniors
Latrell’s one-year deal with Souths: ballsy or just plain dumb?

By Andrew Webster The Age
5 January 2020

From day one, Latrell Mitchell has said his next contract is about doing what’s best for his family.

As it stands, he’s looking at the very risky proposition of signing a one-year deal with South Sydney worth about $400,000 and then hoping the club can move on other players to accommodate a sizeable extension from 2021.

It will be the ballsiest career move from a player in recent times or the dumbest, depending on how you look at it. There’s certainly no security in it.

The last bona fide superstar in his prime to play from year to year in the NRL was Sonny Bill Williams with the Roosters in 2013 and 2014.

Williams was on a $1 million a year, had already earned a pile of money playing for the All Blacks, and also enjoyed a fatherly relationship with chairman Nick Politis, who would help him with whatever he needed during and then after his career.

And he was SBW. Only a player in possession of that ability, physique, self-discipline and self-belief could pull it off.

Mitchell is not that player. Not yet.

If he suffers a serious injury, or dips dramatically in form, he will lose all bargaining power.

But that’s the scenario taking shape for the 22-year-old as his contract negotiations border on the ridiculous.

Reports exploded to life over the weekend about him being on the verge of finally doing a deal with Souths — where he has been tipped for weeks to eventually land — as he changes manager for the third time in eight months.

It’s a little more complicated than that, however. There are many more dominoes left to fall.

Mitchell’s accredited manager, Wayde Rushton, has been working out a pay-out with Mitchell’s unofficial manager, boxing promoter Matt Rose, and now it might happen.

Anyone with any vague knowledge of the Latrell saga is aware how Rose has effectively been acting as his agent for months — stretching back to May last year when Mitchell ended his relationship with his first manager, Steve Deacon.

Rushton has been trying to work out for weeks where he stands with Mitchell, without much luck let alone a return phone call.

He was seeking a $150,000 payout to get out of his management deal but was offered only $5000 just before Christmas. A settlement is expected to be reached by Tuesday.

But anyone who thinks Mitchell is a done deal at Redfern as soon as he switches from Rushton to Rose is getting ahead of themselves.

The priority for Souths head of football Shane Richardson is Jai Arrow.

Souths coach Wayne Bennett has been in contact with Rose directly, but suggestions that a deal with Mitchell is being pieced together behind Richardson’s back have been denied.

Souths wants Arrow a year earlier from the Gold Coast Titans after signing him just before Christmas on a four-year deal from 2021.

But the Titans are unlikely to let that happen unless the Storm release Tino Fa’asuamaleaui, who has signed with the Titans from 2021, or Souths can give them another player.

Dane Gagai’s name keeps getting mentioned but he has no intention of going to the Gold Coast, last year’s wooden-spooners.

If Arrow does end up coming to Souths early — as is eventually expected — it will leave the Rabbitohs with about $400,000 of salary cap space to accommodate Mitchell for one year.

The Roosters are prepared to pay some of his wage this year, but only so much.

“If anyone thinks we’re paying $400,000 for one of our players to play for South Sydney, they are kidding,” said one Rooster source familiar with the negotiations.

The longer the saga drags on, though, the more money the Roosters have to pay Mitchell, a player who is contracted until November but a player they no longer want.

They are also eyeing off Storm winger Josh Addo-Carr, who will be released from his Storm deal early on compassionate grounds but only on the condition of them getting a player of the same value as Addo-Carr, a NSW and Australian representative.

Meanwhile, the Roosters crank up preparations for their premiership defence when training resumes on Monday morning.

It remains unclear if Mitchell will be there, although it appears unlikely he will be walking through the crowd of fans on their way to the Test match at the SCG as the squad makes its way to Kippax Lake.

Mitchell can make whatever decision he wants about his future — but it’s unfortunate he won’t be there with them.

In time, in the right circumstances, he could be Sonny-esque.

In early November, he knocked back a $2.4 million, three-year extension with the Roosters, with a coach like Trent Robinson in his corner, playing on a left-edge that includes Luke Keary, Boyd Cordner and Daniel Tupou.

What was the best option for Latrell Mitchell? It was obvious then, and it’s even more so now.