What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand finalists in the NRL vs AFL for the last 21 Years....

Perth Red

Post Whore
Without producing a single quality junior.

Victorians are in general shyte at sport, great at watching it, shyte at doing it, hence they play thier own game.

It is quite the effort.

The very moment they play something that is not VFL they struggle and produce every 20 years or so, some one decent.

All VFL players are failures.

they produced plenty of jnrs, just happened to be born in Qland not Victoria! In fact given 5 of the best players ever where produced by them in the last fifteen years you could say they are the jnr development club of the century so far!

King hit

Coach
they produced plenty of jnrs, just happened to be born in Qland not Victoria! In fact given 5 of the best players ever where produced by them in the last fifteen years you could say they are the jnr development club of the century so far!
It’s why I see them as a de facto Queensland team

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Victorians are shyte at playing sport, great at watching, know how to rort a government into building all sorts of stuff, hell will sell the MCG soul so the insular play with few others VFL boys do not scrape thier knees.

The admin, they know where Andrew Gee is, even know where the bodies are, but they ain't saying. Nicks Roosters wish they had the Victorian media, and a Brisbane broom.

Lollilegs!!!!

Travitoh

First Grade

They're not really juniors if they join the club at 17-18.

adamkungl

Immortal

The most important development work is done after entering a professional clubs system.
Clubs throwing a handful of pokie money down to the local park for little Jimmy's old man who used to play C Grade to coach isn't development.

Bizarre how most fans see financial success as an unfair advantage, despite being actually earned, but claim having the sheer luck of a large junior area is a matter of great pride.

Storm have the best development in the comp.

Cockosh

Juniors
From 2005 to 2012 (8 seasons) Easts made the top 8 twice and only contested one GF (from 6th) If success is simply down to buying the best players why weren’t we successful in those years? The only significant change was Robinson.

2005 9th
2006 14th
2007 10th
2008 4th
2009 16th (spoon)
2010 6th
2011 11th
2012 13th

Valheru

Coach
From 2005 to 2012 (8 seasons) Easts made the top 8 twice and only contested one GF (from 6th) If success is simply down to buying the best players why weren’t we successful in those years? The only significant change was Robinson.

2005 9th
2006 14th
2007 10th
2008 4th
2009 16th (spoon)
2010 6th
2011 11th
2012 13th

That was when we weren't cheating the cap.

We have been cheating from 2013 up until now with the exception of 2016 when we were under.

We were also cheating in the period of 1996-2004.

Pre-1996 all good.

Perth Red

Post Whore

They really are, this is when kids are turned into professional athletes.
Below this age it is the job of the State body, NRL and pokie clubs when available to be getting kids to play the game. At 16-17 it is the job of the NRl clubs to pluck out the best of those kids and turn them into 1st grade players. In that regard Storm have no peers in the last 15 years. Who cares where they were born?

Cockosh

Juniors
That was when we weren't cheating the cap.

We have been cheating from 2013 up until now with the exception of 2016 when we were under.

We were also cheating in the period of 1996-2004.

Pre-1996 all good.
Well that makes sense.
It’s easy passing judgement in hindsight and simply looking at the tallies. How many times have the storm been written off in recent seasons only to make it to another gf or mp. In hindsight it’s easy to say look at the storm cheating again blah blah yet at the commencement of the season many had the struggling to make the 8. Same with us in 13. Many ridiculed the sbw signing yet after we win we are accused of being cap cheats again.

TheDalek079

Bench
I agree. For over a decade I've been heading into each season thinking surely this must be the one when the Storm finally lose their dominance, yet they continue to be genuine contenders each season. They have a great coach and probably the greatest player of all time, but their talent identification and development is the best in the business

Perth Red

Post Whore
I agree. For over a decade I've been heading into each season thinking surely this must be the one when the Storm finally lose their dominance, yet they continue to be genuine contenders each season. They have a great coach and probably the greatest player of all time, but their talent identification and development is the best in the business

It will be tested in next 2 seasons. But they rarely get it wrong.

flippikat

Bench
It will be tested in next 2 seasons. But they rarely get it wrong.

Yep. As much as people have been predicting the Storm's slide, the lynch-pins of their success are still there - the master coach, and the captain that can steady the ship on-field.

Lose one of them, it's tricky.... lose both of them & the slide is on.

footy75

Bench
Yep. As much as people have been predicting the Storm's slide, the lynch-pins of their success are still there - the master coach, and the captain that can steady the ship on-field.

Lose one of them, it's tricky.... lose both of them & the slide is on.

agree

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Do we reckon this will happen?

It's inevitable but you are correct. We all know that the nrl wants/needs a strong team in Melbourne. At the moment its all Bellamy and Smith and it looks like smith will stick around post career. Hopefully the Broncos can sign him as some sort of assistant but judging by the way he gets off on kicking the shit out of us it's doubtful.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
The Melbourne slide is coming, and soon. It might even begin around Origin time this season. I am utterly convinced Smith has made a bad error of judgement playing on beyond last year. His desire to retire with one more premiership has played on his ego.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Melbourne slide is coming, and soon. It might even begin around Origin time this season. I am utterly convinced Smith has made a bad error of judgement playing on beyond last year. His desire to retire with one more premiership has played on his ego.

He’s still the best nine in the game lol. I’m hoping they might spell him a bit this year and give Brandon more time at the nine. I’m concerned he B Smith) is going to burn himself out playing like a prop for another year!