What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wine thread

Bazal

Post Whore
Only grape I can think of would be the classic Aust port variety, Grenache.

Touriga can get quite ripe like that. So can quite a few other grapes. I find tempranillo can be a bit dried red grapey in a blend if it's overripe with low acidity.

Impossible to guess with a Mudgee wine though I reckon. You never know what people have planted out there.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Another chilled red i used to like as a summer quaff was the Brown Brothers Tarrango which was a cross between a sultana grape and Touriga, it was an easy drinking BBQ wine but it has seemed to disappeared all together now, still have a couple of bottles which i picked up at Amatos about 18 months ago and that is the last time i have ever seen it.

horrie hastings

First Grade
That sounds really interesting and unique. Any idea of the grape make-up? Peppery notes make me think it would be either a straight Shiraz or a blend where Shiraz dominates.

Was going to crack another bottle tonight so I could try and decipher what grape make up it is, I think it would be odd if they were using mostly shiraz to make a wine to chill ( but then again Shiraz can often be used for a rose ) but the peppery notes do suggest there is some shiraz in there some where, it's got me scratching my head though. Not going to crack the bottle tonight though as I have only 2 left and want to keep it as I'm not planning to go to Mudgee anytime soon.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Lerida Estate prosecco wow, fresh, punchy , crisp, just beautiful, getting a hint of pear, after the day at work today this is going down beautifully.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Send em my way! The 13 was a ripper and should theoretically be gorgeous right about now

Having to cut a new crappy Liquourland wine into the cab sav section today i took pity on the sole bottle of ring bolt 2013 Cab Sav left covered in dust and bought it home.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'm not usually a red wine drinker, but the missus found an Alazani Valley medium sweet red from Kakheti, Georgia and it is the bomb. Pleasantly sweet and very drinkable.

I'm not usually a red wine drinker, but the missus found an Alazani Valley medium sweet red from Kakheti, Georgia and it is the bomb. Pleasantly sweet and very drinkable.
Before the Soviets rocked up, Georgia was world renowned for its brandy, even surpassing Cognac in some reports. Might also be something to look into on a cold night, sitting in a nice Chesterfield with your favourite pipe...

So, I've been drinking a lot of good wine here in Georgia.

Unfortunately, as it is all served out of 1L carafes and you tend to consume 3-4 litres at a meal, I have no idea what any of it is.

Georgian wine culture is insane.

During the Holy Wars when the Turks were laying siege to Georgia, the Georgians first priority was to take cuttings of their prized vineyards so they could be re-grown when the marauders finally f**ked off.

Horses and wine in Georgia. And not necessarily in that order. :wink:

Generalzod

Immortal
Georgia is also the land (Colchis) of the Legendary Golden Fleece where Jason went to get, The story is the Georgians of the time used to trap the gold with the wool..

Misanthrope

Staff member
Before the Soviets rocked up, Georgia was world renowned for its brandy, even surpassing Cognac in some reports. Might also be something to look into on a cold night, sitting in a nice Chesterfield with your favourite pipe...

Note to self: get Georgian brandy, chesterfield, and pipe.

During the Holy Wars when the Turks were laying siege to Georgia, the Georgians first priority was to take cuttings of their prized vineyards so they could be re-grown when the marauders finally f**ked off.

Horses and wine in Georgia. And not necessarily in that order. :wink:

They are so f**king proud of their wine here and I'm all about it. Every restaurant and bar has their own house wine - not all of it good - but when you're paying $3 a litre, I can't complain.

Georgia is also the land (Colchis) of the Legendary Golden Fleece where Jason went to get, The story is the Georgians of the time used to trap the gold with the wool..

I didn't realise that! I'm off to hunt gold-fleeced sheep.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Polished off two bottles of Tvishi semi-sweet white on my lonesome last night. Not quite as sweet as a moscato, but quite flavourful.

Everybody else at my table was drinking a Dakishvili Family Vineyards dry saperavi, the bunch of purple-toothed savages.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Had a funeral for an industry mate yesterday who took his own life. Consequently, I was a bit naughty and went to an independent to alleviate my sadness with some retail therapy. There's a guy on the Princes Highway at the top of the hill once you pass Sylvania that has a decent range of wine. Bought:

* Bowen Estate Cab '13
* Wynn's Shiraz '16, Cab '14, CSM '16
* Blockers Cab '16
* Altos Malbec '18
* Barwang Hilltops Shiraz '13
* Moss Wood Amy v16
* Seppeltsfield Grenache '17
* Calabria Nero d'Avola v17 (Riverland, but stuff from there is better and better each year)
* one or two others I can't remember

Was a bit silly and it ended up at $250, and most of it will go into my cellar, but had one of those 'f**k it' moments.

My suggestion to people is buy wine now, before next vintage hits. The heat has f**ked a number of regions. Clare, Hunter and Adelaide Hills are a write off (ADHL won't be 'right' for years to come).

Riverland fruit becoming more expensive too, due to the almond industry growth and its use of water (which is driving prices up in cheap, commercial fruit).

Most regional fruit is pushing $4 per litre now, meaning base entry regional wine is becoming quite expensive.

China's warehouses are filling, and most are waiting for the wine glut dump to happen. US export sales are slowing, Europe export sales are slowing, and China's grow has flatlined and, with the CoronaVirus, will likely dent Australian wine export sales until its resolved.

Industry is in a strange place these days. Premiumisation is the buzz word, but customers aren't spending more (which I think is due to wage growths being flat). Our $10 'Colonel and Merchant) moved to $11 and baseline sales have dropped significantly.

I am also not sure if region makes a difference to customers as much as price and style these days. I know that sounds obvious but in market, the fact customers are continuing to trade on Annie's Lane despite it moving from Clare Valley to SA indicates customers are unable to spend more unless given a better reason than they were before.

A lot of great emerging varietals are getting a look in these days too. Nero, Grillo, Albarino, Vermentino are all in vogue right now. Grenache is huge (thank f**k - people are both making it right and drinking it to support), and Temp is fairly strong. Sang, Mataro, and blends still suffering for reasons I can only put down to customer ignorance.

Will be cracking the Calabria Nero tonight, as a bit of fun. All those heavy reds are for cellaring, these days. I hardly drink heavy unless I have the occasion to.

Bazal

Post Whore
Clonakilla will not be making a single drop of local wine in 2020. I'd be shocked if any Canberra growers do and I wouldn't buy any of it myself.

2020 is gonna be a f**ked year for wine drinkers

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Clonakilla will not be making a single drop of local wine in 2020. I'd be shocked if any Canberra growers do and I wouldn't buy any of it myself.

2020 is gonna be a f**ked year for wine drinkers

Agree. Many like Clonakilla will just be happy they have vineyards.

2020 will have a worse stench than 2011 IMHO. Grape prices have jumped as growers are forced to gouge to simply make back and cover what they can't produce.

People will need to begin drinking more Riverland and understanding that just because its not Barossa et al, it's still high quality wine made in a more approachable fashion.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Also, if you get a chance, buy a bottle of Jim Barry's Assyrtiko. You won't be disappointed.

Bazal

Post Whore
Agree. Many like Clonakilla will just be happy they have vineyards.

2020 will have a worse stench than 2011 IMHO. Grape prices have jumped as growers are forced to gouge to simply make back and cover what they can't produce.

People will need to begin drinking more Riverland and understanding that just because its not Barossa et al, it's still high quality wine made in a more approachable fashion.

I'm looking at Tassie myself... And Riverland. Orange, maybe parts of WA.

Ontl the plus side it might introduce a lot of growers and vintners to a larger market. But the cynic in me feels like its more likely people will just buy more of the shit mass label stuff