What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Presidents Cup & Sydney Shield

Tigers1986

Juniors
Anybody have a rough estimate for the season draws? Would also have this question for SG Ball and Matts

Anybody have a rough estimate for the season draws? Would also have this question for SG Ball and Matts

Clubs have the draft draws for Massey and Shield.

They need to be checked for availability of grounds and such before they can be finalised.

I would imagine the NSWRL are away over the holiday period so I wouldn't expect anything until February.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Drafts are with the clubs for RMC and SS. Believe NSWRL goes back next week so the draws would likely be out sometime in January. Ball, Matts and Gale would be first if they're not all released together.

siv

First Grade
In theory 2nd Division and 3rd division comps of RMC and SS shouldnt effect NSW Cup Flegg Ball or Matts

NSW Cup Flegg Ball and Matts should be aligned with NRL schedule for NSW NRL Clubs

Onlt scheduling is the Bears who want to still run a Flegg team. For them.it would be smarter to align Bears NSW Cup and U20s with a NRL interstate club like Brisbane

rightleftin

Juniors
In theory 2nd Division and 3rd division comps of RMC and SS shouldnt effect NSW Cup Flegg Ball or Matts

NSW Cup Flegg Ball and Matts should be aligned with NRL schedule for NSW NRL Clubs

Onlt scheduling is the Bears who want to still run a Flegg team. For them.it would be smarter to align Bears NSW Cup and U20s with a NRL interstate club like Brisbane

Ball and Matts has no alignment with NRL. The kiddies start about 5 weeks earlier and only have about 9 games.

Timmah

Staff member

The only alignment of Ball/Matts to NRL level is if clubs requested it to be included in a trial match day - that *might* include Penrith but otherwise most clubs' trial matches at NRL level are elsewhere. Few if any include them in NRL match days once the premiership commences.

That said, I don't think @Tigers1986 was suggesting they did, just asking when draws were out.

As for a NSW state side aligning with a QLD NRL team, not sure that's allowed under current rules.

Tigers1986

Juniors
The junior reps are never on NRL days. They did try and put them on trial days before, I remember a Tigers/Sharks trial that had 5 games of footy the other year.

Yeah, my question was for an idea of the draws. A kid I used to coach made the Magpies HM team and I'd like to get out to see him play again.

The NSW teams aligning with a Qld team isn't allowed. It's why Manly and Canberra had to withdraw their arrangements with Sunshine Coast and Souths Logan, respectively.

Melbourne are the exception, having the Falcons in the Q-Cup and the Thunderbolts in the Flegg and SG Ball.

Timmah

Staff member
The junior reps are never on NRL days. They did try and put them on trial days before, I remember a Tigers/Sharks trial that had 5 games of footy the other year.

Yeah, my question was for an idea of the draws. A kid I used to coach made the Magpies HM team and I'd like to get out to see him play again.

The NSW teams aligning with a Qld team isn't allowed. It's why Manly and Canberra had to withdraw their arrangements with Sunshine Coast and Souths Logan, respectively.

Melbourne are the exception, having the Falcons in the Q-Cup and the Thunderbolts in the Flegg and SG Ball.
Don't forget they have Easts Tigers too

siv

First Grade
The only alignment of Ball/Matts to NRL level is if clubs requested it to be included in a trial match day - that *might* include Penrith but otherwise most clubs' trial matches at NRL level are elsewhere. Few if any include them in NRL match days once the premiership commences.

That said, I don't think @Tigers1986 was suggesting they did, just asking when draws were out.

As for a NSW state side aligning with a QLD NRL team, not sure that's allowed under current rules.

Do you know how they determine who is in what pool in Ball and Matts ?

Tigers1986

Juniors
I was led to believe years ago that it's just a random draw for the pooling.

I'd like to see it based on previous years positioning - top 9 play each other, bottom 9 play each other. Yeah, it gives the lower teams an unfair legup, but you also get some quality fixtures from the top 9 that can only be better for development into Flegg

I think the Massy and Shield coaches would be the only ones who cross check the draws.

If a NSW Cup/Flegg side play on Saturday their bench can back up and play Massey/Shield on the Sunday. Or if the the Cup/Flegg side have a bye so they can use players from their feeder teams.

imgunawin72

Juniors
I was led to believe years ago that it's just a random draw for the pooling.

I'd like to see it based on previous years positioning - top 9 play each other, bottom 9 play each other. Yeah, it gives the lower teams an unfair legup, but you also get some quality fixtures from the top 9 that can only be better for development into Flegg
Fair point , but the blokes that coach these kids all have aspirations of coaching at a higher level, so they want win as many games as they can.
That means the clubs will never agree to a concept like that.

rightleftin

Juniors
Blake Wells, grandson of West's legend Harry Wells, played mainly in the East Campbelltown U23 team last season but did play a few SS and RMC games. Following the withdrawal of Wests from RMC for 2020, Wells has taken the job of captain coach of Comboyne Tigers in the Hastings League.

Tom Romer has moved from St Marys to Orange Hawks. St Marys has also lost Siosave Vave to Blayney Bears,

toddymac66

Juniors
Hi fellas new to the forum scene, but watch a lot of lower grade footy particularly ron Massey. Personally I think all grades should try to align games before hand to the top grades shield,Massey, reggies and the NRL if applicable. I know it’s hard to pencil in all fixtures this way but surely more can be done. Crowds at the lower grades are getting less and less and I think that’s due to the fact it’s a one off game ie Massey game or a shield game then Massey and that’s it for the days footy. Have a bigger day of football action for these lower grades will increase interest from communities and build the game back upto what it used to be

toddymac66

Juniors
Also hearing Guildford owls will have more of a link with parra cc in 2020 due to Wenty being dropped. Does anyone know how this system works , could we possibly see someone from parras top 30 playing Massey or even Sydney shield ?be great for locals to watch