What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

strider

Post Whore
Straight out of school and doing a part time work/study thing I’d catch the red rattler into the city. On hot days you’d stand near the open manual doors to catch the breeze. Often I would drive to Epping instead of going the slow Carlingford / Clyde way. Standing by the open doors as you crossed the iron bridge between Meadowbank and Rhodes was a thrill. Unfortunately the skunk smell of Rhodes would stay in your nostrils until you got to Strathfield where the fresh baked smell from Arnotts biscuits would take over.
Yeah i have similar memories of the Epping trips. Arnotts bickies yum.

Amazing the difference from red rattler days to now. Alot of the doors were jammed open. Amazed people never fell off. I guess there was alot less crowding then but i recall some pretty full trains

Eelogical

Referee
Straight out of school and doing a part time work/study thing I’d catch the red rattler into the city. On hot days you’d stand near the open manual doors to catch the breeze. Often I would drive to Epping instead of going the slow Carlingford / Clyde way. Standing by the open doors as you crossed the iron bridge between Meadowbank and Rhodes was a thrill. Unfortunately the skunk smell of Rhodes would stay in your nostrils until you got to Strathfield where the fresh baked smell from Arnotts biscuits would take over.
They should run the red rattler service on a weekends around the metro as a tourist thing.

strider

Post Whore
At least the seats were reversable. Would you take a red rattler if the opportunity arose?
A large number of the newer trains have reversible seats

However, it is amazing how many merkins dont swivel them over ... f**kin backwards riding freaks

Gronk

Staff member
The roof on the Ken Rosewall Arena looks cool and money well spent. It has a capacity of 10,500 and will be used by the Giants netball team.

Assume that they can give it walls during the winter ?

upload_2020-1-11_13-33-24.jpeg

Suitman

Post Whore
Australia's largest office tower (by m2 leasable space) is well underway and rising fast in Parramatta Town Square. It will also be Parramatta's tallest building (230 mtrs). The transformation of our city is astonishing atm.

RxI8876.jpg

There is also these new buildings going up atm. A mix of commercial and residential.

NAB Building (84 metres)

JmnEjgZ.jpg

32 Smith st - Commercial (117 metres)

The Lennox - 156 metres - Residential.
7R20DKl.jpg

West Village (129 metres) Residential.

Suitman

Post Whore
And, also under construction are

8 Phillip street (198 metres) Residential/Hotel.

cfa99a91d407cd9bc13edf7b68ffb94f

180 George street. Residential (Meriton again) (213 metres/189 metres)

ad461318d3a8876f646749c0659f0e60

And there are others in the planning approval stage at the moment over 200 metres tall.
In 3 years time, Parra will be unrecognizable.
Add the Light rail, Powerhouse museum, Riverside upgrade. Future metro etc....
A burgeoning city it is.

Eelogical

Referee
I couldn't live in a high-rise tower. For me, it's a house surrounded by a bit of dirt. Those towers might look all pretty but I couldn't box my life into that type of living. Good luck to all those who lap it up, though.

Gronk

Staff member
And, also under construction are

8 Phillip street (198 metres) Residential/Hotel.

cfa99a91d407cd9bc13edf7b68ffb94f

180 George street. Residential (Meriton again) (213 metres/189 metres)

ad461318d3a8876f646749c0659f0e60

And there are others in the planning approval stage at the moment over 200 metres tall.
In 3 years time, Parra will be unrecognizable.
Add the Light rail, Powerhouse museum, Riverside upgrade. Future metro etc....
A burgeoning city it is.
How’s the Eels Hotel approval mate ?

Suitman

Post Whore
I couldn't live in a high-rise tower. For me, it's a house surrounded by a bit of dirt. Those towers might look all pretty but I couldn't box my life into that type of living. Good luck to all those who lap it up, though.

No one is asking you to live (OR WORK) in one in one of these towers.
I was just putting it out there that Parra is going great guns. There are others that are quite happy too live in this environment. Many others.

Eelogical

Referee
No one is asking you to live (OR WORK) in one in one of these towers.
I was just putting it out there that Parra is going great guns. There are others that are quite happy too live in this environment. Many others.
Yeah Suity, I understand all of that. I'm happy that Parra is going ahead, it's just not for me these days. Besides, the fast train from Brissy to Sydney takes around 12 hours these days.

Gronk

Staff member
There's been no news on that for a while.
Obviously, (I'm guessing) there's some complications in the planning process, and I'm also assuming that the FOPP have a lot to do with it. f**king greenies.

IIRC the Trust had some issues with the fact that it would spoil the vistas from a world heritage park. I was scratching my head about that because there are a shit load of towers visible from the park that are not under the control of the trust. Anywho in NSW developments happen at the whim of the minister as most are more than $30m so they are classified state significant developments. Bit of a joke really.

Latest posts