What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cody Ramsey

jak

Bench
There is a team of people Millward is the one in charge.
They have talent scout is all over Australia also in a few places like Fiji and in England.
They may see someone and recommend them but still at the end of the day it's up to Millward to secure their signature.
thanks samy I agree with you, but you would think the head coach would have a big say in who we sign and that's what bothers me.

Dragonsamy

Bench
I note that the highlights package doesn't show a single tackle; does anyone have the good oil on his defence?

Georgedragon would have seen more of him in action than me .
So George would know.
When I saw him play ( only 2 times) his d was effective . Will be interesting to see how he goes as he makes his way against fully grown men.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I note that the highlights package doesn't show a single tackle; does anyone have the good oil on his defence?

Exactly- I made the point in an earlier post that we could show a highlights reel of Matt Dufty when he was scoring tries for fun in Holden Cup a couple of years ago and he would look just as impressive- SGI has a history of producing backs who are great runners of the ball- Field and Dufty are just the modern reincarnations of the Anthony Mundines, Mark Gasniers and Nathan Blacklocks- can't think of a devastating defensive back at the club apart from Poppa Clay who predated the joint venture. Maybe others will think of someone?

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Exactly- I made the point in an earlier post that we could show a highlights reel of Matt Dufty when he was scoring tries for fun in Holden Cup a couple of years ago and he would look just as impressive- SGI has a history of producing backs who are great runners of the ball- Field and Dufty are just the modern reincarnations of the Anthony Mundines, Mark Gasniers and Nathan Blacklocks- can't think of a devastating defensive back at the club apart from Poppa Clay who predated the joint venture. Maybe others will no. No. No

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Graeme Quinn was also a tough defender

Don't want to get bogged down in semantics here, but the names mentioned (Cooper Beattie et al) were all technically very good defenders but not devastating in the way I mean it. Poppa Clay hurt people- they often didn't get up after he hit them- Jorge Taufua is probably the closest thing to what I'm talking about in today's game.

giboz71

First Grade
And you'd think given our coach was a rep centre in his playing days, he could impart some of his knowledge to our current centres. Yet somehow, centre is the weakest position in the team.

What hope do we have that he can coach other areas in the team?

redVinme

Bench
Don't want to get bogged down in semantics here, but the names mentioned (Cooper Beattie et al) were all technically very good defenders but not devastating in the way I mean it. Poppa Clay hurt people- they often didn't get up after he hit them- Jorge Taufua is probably the closest thing to what I'm talking about in today's game.

Steve matai when he wasn't injured hit pretty hard

blacksafake

First Grade
Poppa really did hurt people but a lot of his tackles were spear tackles which would see him spending a lot of time on the sidelines these days.

blacksafake

First Grade
McInnes, Vaughan and Tariq was more Millward than Mary. Good astute buys from players who had shown potential. These guys were all solid FG players before they came to us. It’s not like Mary taught them anything new,

The harder thing to do as a coach is to transition 19 and 20 year olds into solid FG players. Teach them how to mature their bodies to withstand the rigours of a full season, teach them how to be strong mentally etc and give them confidence.

This is where Mary and his mates have no clue.

We should be complementing our external recruits like Hunt, Norman, Graham etc with young flyers produced from within. But we have produced zero. Where have we produced a Ramien, Xerri, Joseph Manu, Papenhuyzen, Billy Smith, Dylan Brown etc.. These guys were all properly coached as they were coming through the grades and it shows.

And because we can’t produce from within, hence we end up with the Lafai’s Aitkens, Marantas, Pearsons and Ravalawas of the world.
Exactly giboz71.
Tariq if not for injuries would have played origin when at the cowboys & if so in all likely hood may not have found his way to us as other clubs would have been chasing him. Vaughan has always been a good player & McInness was touted as a future captain at Souths at one stage until Cook jumped out of the ground.