What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Football Club cap

Perth Red

Post Whore
This was muted in the last club license bargaining agreement but went very quiet. Well turns out it is coming in this year:

From 2020 the NRL's $5.93 million cap on football department spending comes into effect, with training camps, facilities and innovations and coaching salaries all coming under the off-field cap.

Clubs are slated to pay a 37.5% tax should they spend over that figure

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/06/raiders-bushfire-move-to-qld-likely-to-get-nrl-cap-exemption/

Dakink

Bench
Good or bad? I'm not sure. Should we limit a clubs ability to improve its football department? Interested to read the pros and cons as I haven't really looked into to.

Saint Doc

Coach
Good or bad? I'm not sure. Should we limit a clubs ability to improve its football department? Interested to read the pros and cons as I haven't really looked into to.

It’s not limiting. It’s encouraging clubs to be sustainable by spending wisely and responsibly. If they really think there is value in spending above the cap, you pay a tax.

Last edited:

simmo05

Bench
It’s not limiting. It’s encouraging clubs not to be sustainable by spending wisely and responsibly. If you really think there is value in spending above the cap, you pay a tax.
As long as the tax goes directly to the other clubs. I'd even like to see it on a tiered basis. Tits 60 percent, 2nd last 10 percent etc. Even a cap reduction in the bottom teams

The Great Dane

First Grade
It’s not limiting. It’s encouraging clubs to be sustainable by spending wisely and responsibly. If they really think there is value in spending above the cap, you pay a tax.

Sure it's encouraging the poorer clubs not to try and play keeping up with the Joneses, but it's still holding back the richer clubs that do have the means as well, and that isn't a good precedent.

siv

First Grade
The problem is you need a competition

Not just 1 or 2 clubs with no opposition

Canard

Immortal
No- one is going to admit paying more then the cap. Teams don't admit going over the cap now.

Therefore the tax collected will be diddly.

Saint Doc

Coach
A money grab by the NRL.

Clubs are a business and should be able to spend whatever they damn well please on facilities, camps etc.

clubs are a business...that mostly make losses, frequently need bailing out by NRL, heavily reliant on broadcast revenue that may evaporate in coming years.

if we treated clubs as “businesses” then, by the same token, the Titans, Knights, Tigers, Dragons, Storm & Sharks... as a minimum... should no longer exist

Valheru

Coach
clubs are a business...that mostly make losses, frequently need bailing out by NRL, heavily reliant on broadcast revenue that may evaporate in coming years.

if we treated clubs as “businesses” then, by the same token, the Titans, Knights, Tigers, Dragons, Storm & Sharks... as a minimum... should no longer exist

Maybe it's time we let them die then.

if clubs have to be handheld by the NRL to not spend too much on training facilities then there is a serious issue.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Be interesting to see if this reduces coaches being sacked mid contract as the pay out would presumably count on the cap and push clubs over, meaning they'd be paying even more to get rid of someone!