What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The rest of the summer....

Wizardman

First Grade
With the Sydney test just finishing up today, there is no more international cricket being played in Australia until next summer. Early frikking January and we are already done for the season. No T20, no ODI......just f**k off to India during the time period where cricket has its best chance of making a buck.
For a sport that very much has its challenges in regards to support, gate takings and junior development, letting tennis basically take over is not the best move.

How did things get to this?

TheParraboy

Staff member
The scheduling has been terrible ,especially for Shield cricket and jetting to India for 3 useless ODI, and holding the Chappell Hadlee series when the NRL KICKS OFF its season - Stupidity

BBL will take centre stage plus the womens WC T20 afterwards, which is going to be bigger than most people think

Wizardman

First Grade
LOL....is the Chappell-Hadless series being played at March???? In Australia?? People are only going to give a f**k about NRL and AFL in March.

Wizardman

First Grade
That scheduling tells me one thing....India have us by the short and curlies....no way would we willingly accept that scheduling knowing our sporting landscape.

TheParraboy

Staff member
LOL....is the Chappell-Hadless series being played at March???? In Australia?? People are only going to give a f**k about NRL and AFL in March.

two chappell hadlee matches in Sydney SCG on Fri 13 and Fri 15 March

NRL season opener, and Rd 1, commences Thurs 12 March

Would make more sense since the kiwis ar here already (well the test squad) , play the Chappell Hadlee series now, instead of flying to India for 3 ODI

Money talks I guess. CA either must be getting a fortune or they are just bending over, maybe a little of both?

TheParraboy

Staff member
Though I cant wait to see the eels play back at Bankwest against the doggies Rd 1 Thurs 12th, may end up going to the ODI on the friday as convenience lol. But wont be going if prices are stupid

Bazal

Post Whore
If people cared so much about ODIs in Aus they should have watched them tbh.

Don't get me wrong I think it's dumb too. But it's the same discussion as when Fox won the rights because no merkin watched ODIs and the FTA networks offered massive under for them, if they offered anything.

If people were watching and attending ODIs then CA would be less likely to be happy going to India in February, at the end of the day.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Agree with Baz.

If people aren't going to attend ODI games or watch them they're not going to put them on.

The scheduling over the next couple of years is a complete joke. Limited tests, loads of pointless, Mickey Mouse white ball series'. Pretty much every thing we once feared would happen.

CA need a total overhaul and chage of direction - they've lost the f**king plot.

Dave's mate

Juniors
If people cared so much about ODIs in Aus they should have watched them tbh.

Don't get me wrong I think it's dumb too. But it's the same discussion as when Fox won the rights because no merkin watched ODIs and the FTA networks offered massive under for them, if they offered anything.

If people were watching and attending ODIs then CA would be less likely to be happy going to India in February, at the end of the day.
20/20 was the end for ODIs. The sooner they are completely scrapped the better

King hit

Coach
It would be truly disappointing if they dropped the odi series from the Australian summer. Don’t get me wrong I love test cricket more then any format but it’s great to see a classic run chase. Been some truly great games and moments over the years

Timbo

Staff member
It's completely insane, but it's par for the course from this group of idiots at CA.

They shut the LOI's and a third of the Big Bash behind a paywall for slightly more money in the TV deal when they could've had the whole shebang FTA, and now they're going to India and South Africa for completely meaningless LOI's during the time when people are on holidays and keen to watch a bit of cricket on the telly.

I had held out a bit of hope that they'd take a b-team to India and leave the stars at home to play in the Bash, but nope, this is the first time in living memory that we've named a 100% full strength Australian side for a bilateral ODI series. Can't upset the BCCI by putting Australian fans first now can we?

I think moving forward, we are going to have to do what they do in India for the IPL with the BBL. After the Sydney test there should be a five-week window where we don't schedule international cricket and the stars come back and bolster their BBL sides. The BBL is now filling the niche that the old tri-series filled in the 80s and 90s - something to watch in January/February when you're at the beach on holidays. It's madness our best players will be off making money for the BCCI and CSA during this period instead of being here so the next generation can watch them and get into cricket.

Like a few above, I don't really see much of a role for ODI's in our home summer moving forward. I enjoy them of course, but purists love tests and the casuals/kids are all about the BBL. The crowds were absolutely cratering over the last decade or so, and TV audiences were down. And it almost seemed like a bit of a down day when there'd be an ODI on after the tests finished and not the BBL. The BBL has taken over their role in the market, and as much as a lot of cricket fans don't like to acknowledge it, it's the stone cold truth.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
They're not dropping ODIs Indian fans love them.

More importantly, the WC showed us that ODIs are a much better contest than 2020s

Timbo

Staff member
They're not dropping ODIs Indian fans love them.

More importantly, the WC showed us that ODIs are a much better contest than 2020s

It doesn't matter what the contest is it matters what people are watching.

In the last few years when there have been ODI's running at the same time as the BBL, their crowds have been lower and tv numbers have been in decline. That's just a fact - people aren't watching ODI's here in the same numbers as they were in the 80's and 90's.

Your point about India is true though, and I don't know what the answer on that front is.

Latest posts