What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell Mitchell

Lets be honest, if Aitken was shopped around, this indicates he is not wanted in 1st grade at this club. Hoping he will learn to fix his errors is a waste of time, even for an experienced coach. So really he should be in CC next year and not re-signed past that. Obviously, Lomax at right centre with young Saab outside him seems an exciting duo. Sailor or Dufty at fullback.
Yeah my Bromance has died for aitken i has massive hopes for him.. Hard to think he was considered for origin. I. Do recall that amazing intercept try to beat canberra. Sad for him as he had potential yes.

Walpole

Juniors
Yeah my Bromance has died for aitken i has massive hopes for him.. Hard to think he was considered for origin. I. Do recall that amazing intercept try to beat canberra. Sad for him as he had potential yes.
The unfortunate thing for Aitken is that he probably came through the juniors steamrolling his opposite number and never really had to learn to set up his outside man. Then he made the NRL and found his opposite numbers were just as good and strong as him and he'd need a bit more finesse to create tries. You'd think having a former international centre as a coach would have been perfect to teach him some of the subtleties of centre play and improve his reads in defence but we all know how that's worked out.

Mitch Rein was the other one who I thought had massive potential but again, once he hit the NRL, the coaching let him down badly and he stopped learning (or more accurately, being taught anything). Two Dragons juniors who, in better hands, could have been world beaters but just ended up as average (at best) first graders and cannon fodder for this forum.

possm

Coach
Why can't SGI be as creative as Souths when recruiting marquee players? It seems that Souths are poised to fo off Michell 400k for season one and up te offering for following years on the condition he performs well.

Latrell was offered nearly $1m a season. Now he could gamble on a deal worth half that

Latrell Mitchell is reportedly weighing up whether to take the biggest gamble of his career and sign with South Sydney on a reduced one-year deal.
Fairfax reports Mitchell is considering taking a significant pay cut to sign on at Redfern for $400,000.

He would be banking on the Rabbitohs being able to find enough cap space to offer him a lucrative extension from 2021.

Should he agree to the Rabbitohs offer and suffer serious injury or loss of form in 2020, he would lose bargaining power for the following years.

While Mitchell’s signature would be a massive coup for Wayne Bennett and the Rabbitohs, the priority is still securing Gold Coast Titans star Jai Arrow.

The Maroons forward signed a four-year deal from 2021 but both Souths are pushing for the Titans to release him a year early.

Should that happen, however unlikely, Souths would have around $400,000 in cap space to pay Mitchell.

It comes as Mitchell’s chances of staying at the Sydney Roosters took a dent after it was confirmed he wouldn’t return to training with the NRL club.

The 22-year-old was due to return to pre-season training on Monday for the first time since the club pulled an offer off the table for 2021 last November. However, they have since moved to stop an almost-certain media circus, with star centre being granted leave not to appear.

“Sydney Roosters player Latrell Mitchell has been granted a leave of absence, excusing him from all training commitments,” the club said in a statement on Sunday night.

Mitchell hasn’t been back on official duties with the Roosters since winning last year’s premiership.

He turned out for the Kangaroos for their end-of-year Tests, before he and the rest of the club’s international stars had their leave end over Christmas.

Off-contract at the end of 2020, Mitchell has been linked with the Wests Tigers, Canterbury, North Queensland, Gold Coast and South Sydney.

The Rabbitohs now seem the most likely destination, although they have previously moved to distance themselves from the talented back.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/775a6e3525911af97f072ce70b73b148

BLM01

First Grade
Why can't SGI be as creative as Souths when recruiting marquee players? It seems that Souths are poised to fo off Michell 400k for season one and up te offering for following years on the condition he performs well.

Latrell was offered nearly $1m a season. Now he could gamble on a deal worth half that

Latrell Mitchell is reportedly weighing up whether to take the biggest gamble of his career and sign with South Sydney on a reduced one-year deal.
Fairfax reports Mitchell is considering taking a significant pay cut to sign on at Redfern for $400,000.

He would be banking on the Rabbitohs being able to find enough cap space to offer him a lucrative extension from 2021.

Should he agree to the Rabbitohs offer and suffer serious injury or loss of form in 2020, he would lose bargaining power for the following years.

While Mitchell’s signature would be a massive coup for Wayne Bennett and the Rabbitohs, the priority is still securing Gold Coast Titans star Jai Arrow.

The Maroons forward signed a four-year deal from 2021 but both Souths are pushing for the Titans to release him a year early.

Should that happen, however unlikely, Souths would have around $400,000 in cap space to pay Mitchell.

It comes as Mitchell’s chances of staying at the Sydney Roosters took a dent after it was confirmed he wouldn’t return to training with the NRL club.

The 22-year-old was due to return to pre-season training on Monday for the first time since the club pulled an offer off the table for 2021 last November. However, they have since moved to stop an almost-certain media circus, with star centre being granted leave not to appear.

“Sydney Roosters player Latrell Mitchell has been granted a leave of absence, excusing him from all training commitments,” the club said in a statement on Sunday night.

Mitchell hasn’t been back on official duties with the Roosters since winning last year’s premiership.

He turned out for the Kangaroos for their end-of-year Tests, before he and the rest of the club’s international stars had their leave end over Christmas.

Off-contract at the end of 2020, Mitchell has been linked with the Wests Tigers, Canterbury, North Queensland, Gold Coast and South Sydney.

The Rabbitohs now seem the most likely destination, although they have previously moved to distance themselves from the talented back.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/775a6e3525911af97f072ce70b73b148
Creative my arse. This is a BS story. Think about it
Why would anyone (when contracts mean zip) throw away in a garbage bin a potential to earn an extra $400K in the case of the Roosters offer for 2020 or $600K in the case of Tigers or others offering close to a $1mill a season to earn what.... $400K.
What are Souths going to give him an extra minimum $200K a year above market value (say on a 3 year deal) after that to make up the shortfall of loss of earnings.
Cmon journos stop treating fans like fools.
Or is it Latrell's & South Sydney's management treating the journos and NRL admin like fools that they are

getsmarty

Immortal
Creative my arse. This is a BS story. Think about it
Why would anyone (when contracts mean zip) throw away in a garbage bin a potential to earn an extra $400K in the case of the Roosters offer for 2020 or $600K in the case of Tigers or others offering close to a $1mill a season to earn what.... $400K.
What are Souths going to give him an extra minimum $200K a year above market value (say on a 3 year deal) after that to make up the shortfall of loss of earnings.
Cmon journos stop treating fans like fools.
Or is it Latrell's & South Sydney's management treating the journos and NRL admin like fools that they are

Correct....there's more to this....;)

Gareth67

First Grade
Correct....there's more to this....;)

Undoubtedly so , one of our distinguished brethren recently suggested that the wabbits are the ‘ new crooks on the block ‘ so to speak .

That being the case then you can bet your last dollar that they know the in’s and out’s of getting around any damn salary cap - probably by claiming dispensation for a recently retired player who was injured by hitting one too many unfortunate players with head-high tackles .

You just gotta luv these clubs who can wrap their little fingers around the NRL and give it a squeeze and everything just happens to fall into place - including the very players that they , the club have had their eyes upon all the time .

Last edited:

_Johnsy

Referee
Mitchell would be a mistake. Nobody should touch this kid. He's likely to put on heaps of weight and go walk about.
We all want a quality centre and to be rid of our useless pair but Mitchell aint the answer.
End of.
With Lafai & Aitken, you wouldn’t touch Latrell? See yourself out.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
With Lafai & Aitken, you wouldn’t touch Latrell? See yourself out.

No, l wouldn’t touch Latrell.

Latrell is all about himself.
He ain’t no team player.
He has shocking attitude issues.
As others have mentioned, he’s already on the downhill slide.
He has no respect for anyone, hence the reason uncle Nick wasted no time getting rid of him.

We already have a problem coach, we certainly don’t need a problem child. We’ve just experienced a crap season with constant issues, we need less hassle.

As bad as Aikiten and Lafai are, they at least try for the team.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Roosters dont tell good players to take a hike.
I like it when they do though..
images

_Johnsy

Referee
No, l wouldn’t touch Latrell.

Latrell is all about himself.
He ain’t no team player.
He has shocking attitude issues.
As others have mentioned, he’s already on the downhill slide.
He has no respect for anyone, hence the reason uncle Nick wasted no time getting rid of him.

We already have a problem coach, we certainly don’t need a problem child. We’ve just experienced a crap season with constant issues, we need less hassle.

As bad as Aikiten and Lafai are, they at least try for the team.
I’ve never met the bloke so I can’t really comment on what you’ve said above.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I’ve never met the bloke so I can’t really comment on what you’ve said above.

All good mate.
I haven't met him either but his public dip in form last year, coincided with his public outburst on how good he was and how he needs to look after his own ( based on solid advice from A. Mundine ).

Last edited:
Reactions: jak

sa1nt5

Juniors
Sailor and Dufty both too small for the fullback position. We have 3 other outside backs with big frams, Saab, Ravalawa and Pearson. If we don't have the cash to buy a fullback or centre - and I believe we do - then select these youngsters and hope they do well in 2020. I mean we didn't go so well with Aitken and Lafai over the past few years anyway, so what do we have to lose? In the off-season let's start with :

Lomax - our only suitable candidate right now
Pereira - there is no doubt Mary wants him on the left wing
Ravalawa - has shown he could be a better right centre than righ winger
Pearson - has played left centre before in his junior days
Saab - probably our best winger in the club

Make this combination first choice for all pre-seasons sessions and trial games. If a player does not work out replace him for round one. I believe we will be very surprised on how well the above combination performs. Atken and Lafai to CC. May Ford to left centre if Pearson does not work out.
Definitely the right direction in having that line up as our first choice. However determining Sailor and Dufty being too small might be throwing the baby out with bath water as both have the skill to compete, compared to Geoff Toovey they are huge, we don’t have a Roberts, Spud or Gibbs to deliver vengeance though. Hard nosed front rowers like JWH or Klemmer sort out the bigger fellas throwing their smaller blokes over the sideline. Plant seeds of doubt in the mind of the jersey draggers. Put my bloke over the sideline by the jersey like that and you answer to me scenario.

Old Timer

Coach
Definitely the right direction in having that line up as our first choice. However determining Sailor and Dufty being too small might be throwing the baby out with bath water as both have the skill to compete, compared to Geoff Toovey they are huge, we don’t have a Roberts, Spud or Gibbs to deliver vengeance though. Hard nosed front rowers like JWH or Klemmer sort out the bigger fellas throwing their smaller blokes over the sideline. Plant seeds of doubt in the mind of the jersey draggers. Put my bloke over the sideline by the jersey like that and you answer to me scenario.
Our pack today somewhat reminds me of the Parramatta pack under Fearnley.
More than enough ability but far too little aggression other than for maybe 1 player in the entire pack.
In Parra's case it was Price and in ours it is T Sims.
The pack needs to be aggressive as a whole unit and all hunt together as was the case with our teams in 77 & 79.

possm

Coach
Our pack today somewhat reminds me of the Parramatta pack under Fearnley.
More than enough ability but far too little aggression other than for maybe 1 player in the entire pack.
In Parra's case it was Price and in ours it is T Sims.
The pack needs to be aggressive as a whole unit and all hunt together as was the case with our teams in 77 & 79.

Standards are set by the club leadership and on-field attack and defence plans are set by the head coach. So:
  • Restructure the SGI Board and make board members accountable for their decisions.
  • Sack the head coach and replace him with Shepherd on a two year deal as interim head coach, then appoint Flanagan when he is eligible to apply for the job.

Latest posts