What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 in International Rugby League

adamkungl

Immortal
Interesting year coming up!
Some big events and bigger questions. A long time to go before it really kicks off but may as well start the discussion.

State of the Game

The years including and since the last World Cup have seen some major positive shifts - Tonga, Fiji, and PNG have all recorded wins against the big 3. Tonga has beaten all 3 and if they back it up in 2020 could almost claim to be the worlds strongest Rugby League test team. The game is changing and the gap is narrowing. Australia is beatable - the Kangaroos are undoubtedly in a post-superstar lull, and it's not clear who the next batch of "invincibles" will be. If Tonga and NZ can do it, there's no real reason why England can't.
The top 12 or so nations are at least pencilled in for major tournaments 3 of every 4 years now, which can only be a good thing.
More nations than ever are starting up local competitions and many of these are achieving government recognition, slowly getting the sport towards the major goal of international GAISF/Sportaccord recognition.
And there's hope - all the major negatives the international game faces (listed below) - are largely self-inflicted and easily remedied with the right administrative will.

Unfortunately it isn't all positive. There have been a number of disappointments, with the core theme underlying all of them being a failure to capitalise on the above successes.
- Major upsets aren't followed up with timely rematches.
- Delayed and strange scheduling decisions, and poorly chosen locations continue to impact public interest in all the Big 3 nations, a constant since 2017s underwhelming World Cup.
- The Kangaroos are barely seen, not playing enough matches to even respect their rivals.
- England/Great Britain self-sabotage with a misguided and poorly run tour.
- Some nations rely too much on the NRL and RFL to schedule matches for them and otherwise don't play.
- Infighting and politics in at least 5 countries threatened or continues to threaten recent progress.
- Oceania Cup poor format fails to hit the heights of the 3 and 4 Nations tournaments of the last 20 years.
- While the Oceania Cup and European Cup provide this for their regions, there is no pathway for WC-playing nations outside of Europe or the Pacific to get regular games against higher opposition. Jamaica, USA, Lebanon.
- The Pacific Island nations, while impressive on the field, rarely get the chance to impress in front of home crowds and are lacking legitimately home born or developed players.

What's happening in 2020

The main event is the Kangaroo Tour of the UK, a 3 match series Australia vs England taking place in November. Venues have been ambitiously chosen, in particularly Rugby League's debut at the brilliant looking Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in London.

In just 2 weeks though, we have the long awaited announcement of the 2021 World Cup pools and draw, and we can expect tickets to go on sale shortly after - a rare instance of good planning for the game.
The announcement for 2025 hosting is expected this year... but nobody knows when or what to expect.

Back to major tournaments, in the Southern Hemisphere we have the Oceania Cup continuing without Australia, but featuring NZ, Tonga, and Fiji. It should be a cracking event. With both Tonga and Fiji toppling the Kiwis in the last few years, complacency would see them embarrassed in front of home crowds yet again.

On the other side of the world we have the European Cup - no idea of format, participants, or ticket sales yet. Assume France, Scotland, Ireland and Wales, but not yet known whether England or England Knights will join the tournament, or Italy or Greece at the other end of the rankings table.

Africa and the Americas will also host regional tournaments, while a number of Asian nations continue to develop the required groundwork.

Across all continents and regions, new nations will continue to join the game or slowly develop the fledgling competitions they have.

Finally, we can expect a handful of mid-year tests, with England likely to visit Sydney and play a Pacific nation, and NZ to host one of their island neighbours. The remaining Pacific nations will probably face off joining one of the above fixtures as a curtain-raiser.

The Big Questions

A lot of questions remain about the 2020 calendar, and i've estimated the best and worst outcomes for each:

Who will the Kangaroos play aside from England?
Best - Wales and France
Worst - a mid-week club fixture but no international tests.

Will we get clarity on the Oceania Cup format going forward?
Best - A final introduced this year, mid-season games kept standalone and separate to the tournament, and a move to 4 Nations in 2022
Worst - An exact re-do of the current format, and 2 teams relegated to make way for Australia in 2022.

Will England play in the European Cup, and will it be a 4 or 6 Nation tournament?
Best - A rebirth and re-energising of the format with a big marketing push: England Knights enter a 4 Nations tournament featuring France, Wales and Ireland. The 2nd tier is also 4 nations, featuring Scotland, Italy, Greece and 1 more. Regional C level tournaments are conducted with the remaining nations.
Worst - 4 Nations but without England, played with little fanfare in front of nothing crowds.

What will happen with the mid-year tests?
Best - England decide to stay home and play their neighbours. The NRL commits to a regular fixture featuring the best 2 Pacific nations for a trophy, with the others playing standalones not connected to the post-season Oceania Cup. All major nations play *someone*.
Worst - England play in front of a poor Sydney crowd and the Pacific tests detract from the Oceania Cup by breaking up the format across the season.

Lebanon, Jamaica, Italy, Greece, Spain, Serbia, Norway, USA, Canada, South Africa - all countries that have either qualified for the World Cup or went deep into qualification, but are unlikely to be given a game against World Cup opposition before the main event.
Who and when will they play?
Best - For this year, Lebanon, Jamaica, and Italy need to play fellow World Cup nations at least once. A structure is developed for the future that gives all nations a pathway to higher competition, not just Pacific and Euro nations.
Worst - They all miss out, and are no clearer to how this improves in future.

Will the infighting in Lebanon, Tonga, Fiji, France, and Greece be satisfactorily resolved?
Best - yes! And the IRL learns how to prevent the situation in future.
Worst - no! And more nations face the same problems.

Will the GB Lions have a future?
Best - tentative yes. There is a way this can be successful if lessons are learned from the 2019 failure. It needs true engagement from all 4 nations, true separation from England, better planning, and a better reason to exist than nostalgia. But it is possible. I'd like to see it return in 2024, with a view to the future rather than the past.
Worst - We not only pretend it never happened, but learn nothing in the process. Ala Denver...

What is the future of International 9s?
Best - annual Oceania (+Europe, Americas, etc) 9s comp to kick off the post-season, lock in the World 9s again for 2023, start work on an international circuit program
Worst - we don't hear about it again until 2023

Will we ever get the "Continental Cup"?
Best - I think this is pretty simple, forget overblown ideas. In the odd-year between WCs,
Cup: the current top 4 nations who pre-qualified for the next WC (Australia, England, NZ, Tonga)
Shield: the remaining 4 pre-qualifiers (PNG, Samoa, Fiji, Lebanon)
Done. Easy.
Worst - we don't hear about it again until 2023 when it's too late

WHERE WILL THE 2025 WORLD CUP BE HELD?
There's no bigger question than this right now.
Best - The handful of American club backers, headed up by the Wolfpack, succeed in a confident bid to sell international Rugby League in the USA and Canada.
Worst - Australia is announced as hosts due to lack of any realistic options, and we are no closer to popping the Australia-England bubble.

Happy New Year!

There's a lot to think about here and a lot to hope for!
It won't all go our way, or my way or your way. Try to recognise positives even when not every detail is perfect! There's generally more good than bad, and the game is gradually inching closer to the right path.

What are you looking forward to? What are you hoping to see? What have I got completely wrong?

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
No one got opinions on international footy any more? :(
I'll take the lack of comment as total agreement with my views!

Upcoming in January and February...

Jan 16 - RLWC2021 Pool Draw
The 4 pools, evenly seeded for the first time, will be picked at random from the previously announced pot groups which divide teams by approximate ranking.
The fixtures for the opening matches will be revealed but the remaining schedule and ticket sales will come at a later date.
https://www.rlwc2021.com/article/197/tournament-draw-details-revealed-

Feb 1 - Cabramatta International Nines 2020
Of interest is the debut of Vietnam, in addition to Philippines, India and a combined Asia side representing the worlds most populous continent.
https://www.aseanrl.com/2020/01/05/...ZD9TffpjmH5jlzvBykVgc-rOoQCEOHN9XaytoETje4Zcc

Feb 22 - Peru v Brazil (Sydney)
While taking place in Campbeltown with lineups expected to include all Aus-based heritage players, both nations have developing activities at home.
Peru hopes to launch a fledgling competition in Lima in 2020, after a recent trip to introduce the game to locals.
Brazil has conducted a number of mens tournaments and of course will feature in the Womens World Cup.

Springs09

Juniors
The thing I'm most excited about is the World Cup Draw.

I can't get excited about anything this year. 2018 and 2019 have been so shit its hard to hope they'll do any better in 2020. I'll look forward to the Ashes series, but if Australia and England don't play at least 2 tests each against other nations, not just 1 half-assed test each against France, or worse - club sides, it too will be underwhelming.

I can't see the Oceania Cup as an 'event'. It's three standalone games slapped together under one banner. Even so, if they schedule right to actually give it some purpose, ex - PNG games in PNG, it might actually do some good instead of throwing PNG v Fiji at Christchurch. And don't have 1/3 of the 'tournament' mid-year!
Ex:
Week 1
NZ v Tonga - Auckland
PNG v Cook Islands - Port Moresby

Week 2
Fiji v Tonga - Suva
PNG v Samoa - Port Moresby

Week 3
NZ v Fiji - Whangerei/Rotorua/Dunedin
Samoa v Cook Islands - Apia

Mid-season
England v anyone - don't really care who it is, NZ, Tonga, Samoa, PNG, Fiji, Wales, France, Scotland, Ireland, Italy whoever - but play it in England. Don't come all the way to Australia to play Samoa, like seriously.

Whoever doesn't play England out of NZ, Tonga, Samoa, PNG, Fiji, Cook Islands, Lebanon to play in the Pacific Tests. Would prefer PNG to host a game and have a couple games in Sydney.
Preferred:
England v France/Scotland/Ireland - England/France
NZ v Samoa - Auckland/Hamilton
PNG v Fiji - Port Moresby
Tonga v Cook Islands - Bankwest
Italy v Lebanon - Bankwest

Coastbloke

Bench
No one got opinions on international footy any more? :(
I'll take the lack of comment as total agreement with my views!

I have many opinions International League, but being a fan of IRL also means being a eternal pessimist lol...

Looking forward to the World Cup draw. They seem to be doing a pretty good job in terms of exposure and promotion. Far far better than 2017 was. Some of the match ups could be massive. But that's for 2021..

Mid year Tests? England v France in France. Jamaica v USA. NZ v Tonga. PNG v Fiji or Samoa. All stand alone. All in their home areas. Stuff Australia. They are too busy fapping over Origin..

End of Year Tests. Looking forward to the Ashes and hoping for a Test with France and Wales..European Championship hopefully. Stand alone Oceania Cup matches...

Elsewhere, Ongoing support by the RLEF and IRL for Comps like the Middle East/African Championships. Increased exposure and help for the Balkan SL. Be great to them get 2000 a game..

Last but not least. France to just try and get it's arse into gear..The Northern Hemisphere needs a 2nd Tier 1 nation and providing more promotion and opportunities for Wales and Ireland...

Last last and not least. NRL. YOU DO NOT RUN THE GAME. The IRL to grow a set and tell the NRL it's not in charge. NEUTRAL Refs for ALL Internationalss...

There you go. Coastbloke's sorta wishlist. More chance of the Family Law review actually achieving anything and that's never going to happen (he he )

Out....

adamkungl

Immortal
2 more Big questions i want answered in 2020 - which i will add to the OP

Best - annual Oceania (+Europe, Americas, etc) 9s comp to kick off the post-season, lock in the World 9s again for 2023, start work on an international circuit program

Best - I think this is pretty simple, forget overblown ideas. In the odd-year between WCs,
Cup: the current top 4 nations who pre-qualified for the next WC (Australia, England, NZ, Tonga)
Done. Easy.

Springs09

Juniors
2 more Big questions i want answered in 2020 - which i will add to the OP

Done. Easy.

That's alright but its just the Oceania Cup with an extra step.
Surely mixed pools + final would be more interesting plus give some other countries a shot at the big 3. Australia v NZ v Tonga seems to be happening every year.

Pool A - Australia, England, Samoa, PNG
Pool B - New Zealand, Tonga, Fiji, Lebanon
Though I'd rather at least one other Euro side in there.

Otherwise if we go by some proposed calendars the top tier 'tournament' every year will be:
Year 1 - Oceania Cup: Australia, NZ, Tonga
Year 2 - Continental Cup: Australia, NZ, England, Tonga
Year 3 - Oceania Cup: Australia, NZ, Tonga
Year 4 - World Cup

adamkungl

Immortal
That's alright but its just the Oceania Cup with an extra step.
Otherwise if we go by some proposed calendars the top tier 'tournament' every year will be:
Year 1 - Oceania Cup: Australia, NZ, Tonga
Year 2 - Continental Cup: Australia, NZ, England, Tonga
Year 3 - Oceania Cup: Australia, NZ, Tonga
Year 4 - World Cup

That's true-ish (the Oceania Cup should have a different 3rd or 4th team in each iteration) - but not necessarily for every cycle.
Under my preferred program, Australia would have been guaranteed to play NZ, England, Tonga, Fiji, Samoa in tournament, in the 3 years between 2017 and 2021. + in my fantasy land they also play a standalone here and there against France and Wales while on tour, or PNG as a pre-tournament warm up at home.

If France or Ireland pulls their finger out next World Cup and overtakes Tonga, it changes the tournaments.
If Tonga consolidates their top 4 position, I'm fine with this.
I want to see the top nations playing each other annually, as long as the system allows for other nations to fight their way up through meaningful competitions.

Rugby and Cricket are the sports closest in reach and culture to Rugby League, and they have a thriving international scene mainly focused around the top handful of nations playing each other most years.
RL could go one better if we take that but make systems that don't lock out the up-and-comers completely, which both Rugby and Cricket are recently guilty of.

Burns

First Grade
I have many, many thoughts on all of this.

But I just want to know where and when all the Southern Hemisphere test matches will be this year.

adamkungl

Immortal
I have many, many thoughts on all of this.

But I just want to know where and when all the Southern Hemisphere test matches will be this year.

They definitely need to start scheduling and selling events earlier!

Springs09

Juniors
Rugby and Cricket are the sports closest in reach and culture to Rugby League, and they have a thriving international scene mainly focused around the top handful of nations playing each other most years.
RL could go one better if we take that but make systems that don't lock out the up-and-comers completely, which both Rugby and Cricket are recently guilty of.

Well yes but they also have a lot more variety than Australia only playing 3 teams all the time. And I want to see more meaningful competition rather than the current Oceania Cup where Australia plays 2 one off games a year.
I've posted my preferred schedule many many times but the jist of it is it is possible to have the best of both worlds in any given year, with both the top teams playing each other + tier 2 teams getting more opportunities against tier 1 teams.

2 examples -
An Australian Ashes Tour of Europe
Week 1
Ireland v Australia
England v France

Week 2
Wales v Australia
England v Scotland

Week 3
England v Australia

Week 4
England v Australia

Week 5
England v Australia

Week 6
France v Australia

Which would be held concurrently with a European Cup. Australia would play their annual test against NZ beforehand and you've got 5 tier 1 v tier 2 games along with a tier 1 series. It really shouldn't be that hard to do something like the above.

& Continental Cup (ex.)
Pool A - Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, France
Pool B - England, Tonga, Samoa, Lebanon

You'll have top teams playing each other with Aus v NZ and Eng v Ton then games against tier 2 opposition, plus semis and a final which by form should see the top sides playing each other again, or if one of the lower teams gets through its an example of the better opportunities tier 2 teams are given. To me this gives a lot more opportunity to all teams compared to a Continental Cup that's just the old Four Nations.

adamkungl

Immortal
My ideal Roos schedule looks like

year 1
- NZ test
- PMXIII v PNG
tour europe
- England x3,
- France
- Wales
australia A oceania cup (4N+final P&R)
- NZ
- Tonga
- Fiji
(also: European Cup, Euro Shield, Oceania Shield)

year 2
- PMXIII v Fiji
- PNG test
- NZ test
international cup (4N+final top 4 ranked)
- England
- NZ
- Tonga
(also: Shield 4N)

year 3
- PMXIII v PNG
- NZ test
incoming tour
- GB x3
oceania cup (4N+final P&R)
- NZ
- Tonga
- Samoa
(also: European Cup, Euro Shield, Oceania Shield)

year 4 world cup

Australia would play 8 nations over 3 years, 5 of those in tournament and 3 as standalones. Based on current rankings they would be the top 8 ranked nations.
And then face between 1 and 4 more unique nations in the World Cup.

The Oceania Cup P&R gives PNG, Samoa, Fiji, Cook Islands a chance to fight their way up to regular games vs Australia and NZ.
The year 2 cup would decide participants based on pre-qualifying by making finals at the previous World Cup, then seeding them into 2 groups of 4 by rankings - so a nation outside the top 8 can enter if they punch above their weight in the WC (eg. Lebanon last time round). I prefer pools of 1-4 and 5-8 for competitive intensity and likely ticket sales, but 1-3-5-7 + 2-4-6-8 would also be valid.

A pathway should also be built that links American, African, and Asian tournaments to the Euro and Oceania structure, giving every playing nation a clear line to the top, if they're good enough for it.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
I've got another, sort of left-field question

I'd love to know the real numbers and formulas behind the rankings.
I messed around a bit trying to create a formula using the vague rationale they publish, but was mostly unsuccessful in actually matching their rankings with anything i made.

Rugby Union's formula is public available on their website which gives confidence and understanding to the rankings which can otherwise seem arbitrary

Of course the biggest flaw with our rankings is simply that there aren't enough games.

jim_57

Staff member
I'm hoping that the OC is sucessful and very competitive without Australia so there can be some push to expand the top tier to 4. I think if Fiji get close to a full team on the park they are an outside chance of winning it which would be great.

I would also like to see the Polynesia & Melanesia Cups bought for the mid-season tests and leave the Oceania Cup to the post season.

NZ travelling to Fiji or PNG or both would also be cool.

I would have liked to see England be involved in a full Euro Cup even they only use SL players and fit it around the Kangas tour, that looks very unlikely though. At the very least NH wise I hope both England and the Kangaroos can play France and some other Euro Nations.

adamkungl

Immortal
Here's a spicy question

If NZ choke this years OC against Tonga and Fiji - extremely possible - will the organisers actually have the bottle to demote them and continue with the concept in 2020? Or will we scrap it and start again?

The top comp could have
Australia, Tonga, Fiji, PNG

and the shield comp
NZ, Samoa, Cook Islands

Getmefood

Juniors
Here's a spicy question

If NZ choke this years OC against Tonga and Fiji - extremely possible - will the organisers actually have the bottle to demote them and continue with the concept in 2020? Or will we scrap it and start again?

The top comp could have

and the shield comp
NZ, Samoa, Cook Islands
To be honest I think that and should will depend on the overall IRL rankings.

yakstorm

First Grade
Here's a spicy question

The top comp could have

and the shield comp
NZ, Samoa, Cook Islands

It won't be an issue, after 2020's series, the next Oceania Cup won't be until 2022, when NZ will be touring Europe.

As such, Australia will slot back into the top pool with the bigger question being if they still relegate a team or leave Tonga and Fiji up.

NRLMad

Juniors
Interesting year coming up!
Some big events and bigger questions. A long time to go before it really kicks off but may as well start the discussion.

State of the Game

The years including and since the last World Cup have seen some major positive shifts - Tonga, Fiji, and PNG have all recorded wins against the big 3. Tonga has beaten all 3 and if they back it up in 2020 could almost claim to be the worlds strongest Rugby League test team. The game is changing and the gap is narrowing. Australia is beatable - the Kangaroos are undoubtedly in a post-superstar lull, and it's not clear who the next batch of "invincibles" will be. If Tonga and NZ can do it, there's no real reason why England can't.
The top 12 or so nations are at least pencilled in for major tournaments 3 of every 4 years now, which can only be a good thing.
More nations than ever are starting up local competitions and many of these are achieving government recognition, slowly getting the sport towards the major goal of international GAISF/Sportaccord recognition.
And there's hope - all the major negatives the international game faces (listed below) - are largely self-inflicted and easily remedied with the right administrative will.

Unfortunately it isn't all positive. There have been a number of disappointments, with the core theme underlying all of them being a failure to capitalise on the above successes.
- Major upsets aren't followed up with timely rematches.
- Delayed and strange scheduling decisions, and poorly chosen locations continue to impact public interest in all the Big 3 nations, a constant since 2017s underwhelming World Cup.
- The Kangaroos are barely seen, not playing enough matches to even respect their rivals.
- England/Great Britain self-sabotage with a misguided and poorly run tour.
- Some nations rely too much on the NRL and RFL to schedule matches for them and otherwise don't play.
- Infighting and politics in at least 5 countries threatened or continues to threaten recent progress.
- Oceania Cup poor format fails to hit the heights of the 3 and 4 Nations tournaments of the last 20 years.
- While the Oceania Cup and European Cup provide this for their regions, there is no pathway for WC-playing nations outside of Europe or the Pacific to get regular games against higher opposition. Jamaica, USA, Lebanon.
- The Pacific Island nations, while impressive on the field, rarely get the chance to impress in front of home crowds and are lacking legitimately home born or developed players.

What's happening in 2020

The main event is the Kangaroo Tour of the UK, a 3 match series Australia vs England taking place in November. Venues have been ambitiously chosen, in particularly Rugby League's debut at the brilliant looking Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in London.

In just 2 weeks though, we have the long awaited announcement of the 2021 World Cup pools and draw, and we can expect tickets to go on sale shortly after - a rare instance of good planning for the game.
The announcement for 2025 hosting is expected this year... but nobody knows when or what to expect.

Back to major tournaments, in the Southern Hemisphere we have the Oceania Cup continuing without Australia, but featuring NZ, Tonga, and Fiji. It should be a cracking event. With both Tonga and Fiji toppling the Kiwis in the last few years, complacency would see them embarrassed in front of home crowds yet again.

On the other side of the world we have the European Cup - no idea of format, participants, or ticket sales yet. Assume France, Scotland, Ireland and Wales, but not yet known whether England or England Knights will join the tournament, or Italy or Greece at the other end of the rankings table.

Africa and the Americas will also host regional tournaments, while a number of Asian nations continue to develop the required groundwork.

Across all continents and regions, new nations will continue to join the game or slowly develop the fledgling competitions they have.

Finally, we can expect a handful of mid-year tests, with England likely to visit Sydney and play a Pacific nation, and NZ to host one of their island neighbours. The remaining Pacific nations will probably face off joining one of the above fixtures as a curtain-raiser.

The Big Questions

A lot of questions remain about the 2020 calendar, and i've estimated the best and worst outcomes for each:

Who will the Kangaroos play aside from England?
Best - Wales and France
Worst - a mid-week club fixture but no international tests.

Will we get clarity on the Oceania Cup format going forward?
Best - A final introduced this year, mid-season games kept standalone and separate to the tournament, and a move to 4 Nations in 2022
Worst - An exact re-do of the current format, and 2 teams relegated to make way for Australia in 2022.

Will England play in the European Cup, and will it be a 4 or 6 Nation tournament?
Best - A rebirth and re-energising of the format with a big marketing push: England Knights enter a 4 Nations tournament featuring France, Wales and Ireland. The 2nd tier is also 4 nations, featuring Scotland, Italy, Greece and 1 more. Regional C level tournaments are conducted with the remaining nations.
Worst - 4 Nations but without England, played with little fanfare in front of nothing crowds.

What will happen with the mid-year tests?
Best - England decide to stay home and play their neighbours. The NRL commits to a regular fixture featuring the best 2 Pacific nations for a trophy, with the others playing standalones not connected to the post-season Oceania Cup. All major nations play *someone*.
Worst - England play in front of a poor Sydney crowd and the Pacific tests detract from the Oceania Cup by breaking up the format across the season.

Lebanon, Jamaica, Italy, Greece, Spain, Serbia, Norway, USA, Canada, South Africa - all countries that have either qualified for the World Cup or went deep into qualification, but are unlikely to be given a game against World Cup opposition before the main event.
Who and when will they play?
Best - For this year, Lebanon, Jamaica, and Italy need to play fellow World Cup nations at least once. A structure is developed for the future that gives all nations a pathway to higher competition, not just Pacific and Euro nations.
Worst - They all miss out, and are no clearer to how this improves in future.

Will the infighting in Lebanon, Tonga, Fiji, France, and Greece be satisfactorily resolved?
Best - yes! And the IRL learns how to prevent the situation in future.
Worst - no! And more nations face the same problems.

Will the GB Lions have a future?
Best - tentative yes. There is a way this can be successful if lessons are learned from the 2019 failure. It needs true engagement from all 4 nations, true separation from England, better planning, and a better reason to exist than nostalgia. But it is possible. I'd like to see it return in 2024, with a view to the future rather than the past.
Worst - We not only pretend it never happened, but learn nothing in the process. Ala Denver...

Done. Easy.

WHERE WILL THE 2025 WORLD CUP BE HELD?
There's no bigger question than this right now.
Best - The handful of American club backers, headed up by the Wolfpack, succeed in a confident bid to sell international Rugby League in the USA and Canada.
Worst - Australia is announced as hosts due to lack of any realistic options, and we are no closer to popping the Australia-England bubble.

Happy New Year!

There's a lot to think about here and a lot to hope for!
It won't all go our way, or my way or your way. Try to recognise positives even when not every detail is perfect! There's generally more good than bad, and the game is gradually inching closer to the right path.

What are you looking forward to? What are you hoping to see? What have I got completely wrong?
I also have lots of opinions. Hope to see the game grow away from the big teams - Fiji tonja png and Samoa should be huge games but we need more crowds to these games to ensure they are profitable. Better planning would be a starter. Not sure about the double headers?

adamkungl

Immortal
It won't be an issue, after 2020's series, the next Oceania Cup won't be until 2022, when NZ will be touring Europe.

As such, Australia will slot back into the top pool with the bigger question being if they still relegate a team or leave Tonga and Fiji up.

So.. hypothetically, if NZ come last in 2020 (Tonga, Fiji, NZ)
and decline to enter 2022 (Aus, Tonga, Fiji, Samoa^) leaving only 2 teams in the Shield comp (Cook Islands, PNG) (another problem here...)
what happens in 2024? Do they slot into the Shield/2nd tier comp where they were last relegated to? Or do the NRL and IRL contrive some nonsense to get them back into the top Cup?

I struggle to see how this comp will gain real credibility unless Australia and NZ are forced to enter each iteration. Otherwise it leaves a mess with no continuity. Personally I have no faith that the governing bodies actually have the balls to relegate either Australia or NZ should that come around. Australia in particular would almost certainly take their bat and ball and go home.

jim_57

Staff member
So.. hypothetically, if NZ come last in 2020 (Tonga, Fiji, NZ)
and decline to enter 2022 (Aus, Tonga, Fiji, Samoa^) leaving only 2 teams in the Shield comp (Cook Islands, PNG) (another problem here...)
what happens in 2024? Do they slot into the Shield/2nd tier comp where they were last relegated to? Or do the NRL and IRL contrive some nonsense to get them back into the top Cup?

I struggle to see how this comp will gain real credibility unless Australia and NZ are forced to enter each iteration. Otherwise it leaves a mess with no continuity. Personally I have no faith that the governing bodies actually have the balls to relegate either Australia or NZ should that come around. Australia in particular would almost certainly take their bat and ball and go home.

Yeh agreed, if the touring team drops out every time it makes it a bit pointless.

welshmagpie

Juniors
I’ve posted similar before.

but international RL needs a 6 week window each season.

Year 1&3
3 weeks (June) (3 rounds, 4 teams)
Promotion and relegation (1 up, 1 down)
Serve as World Cup Qualifiers

- Euro Cup, Euro Shield, Euro Bowl
- Asia-Pacific Cup, Shield, Bowl
- Americas Cup etc
- MEA Cup etc

3 weeks (Oct/Nov) (3 rounds, 4 teams)
Hosted in a host nation I.e England, Canada etc.

- Federation Cup (2017 WC Semi Finalists)
- Federation Shield (2017 WC Quarter Finalists)
- Federation Bowl (“ “ “ next best ranked)
- Federation Plate (“ “ “ next best ranked)
- Federation Vase (“ “ “ next best ranked)

Year 2
2 weeks (June)
- Regional 9s (World 9s qualifiers)
- Friendly

2 weeks (Oct/Nov)
- World 9s
- Friendly (World Cup Qualifier Repechage)

*7th in Europe vs. 2nd in Americas
*7th in Pacific vs. 2nd in MEA

Last edited: