What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 Conference 18 Team League & Expansion

Marlins

Juniors
3 Conference 18 Team League
22 Rounds
Play Each Team in your Conference twice
Play each other team once

National Conference -

North Queensland Cowboys
Brisbane Broncos
2nd Brisbane Team (Dolphins/Jets)
Gold Coast Titans
Melbourne Storm
Nz Warriors

NSW East Conference -
Newcastle Knights
Central Coast Bears
Manly warringah Sea Eagles
Sydney Roosters
South Sydney Rabbitohs
Cronulla Sutherland Shire Sharks

NSW West Conference -
Penrith Panthers
Parramatta Eels
West’s Tigers
Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs
St.George Illawarra Dragons
Canberra Raiders

MugaB

Coach
22 Rounds

National Conference -

North Queensland Cowboys
Brisbane Broncos
Gold Coast Titans
Melbourne Storm
Nz Warriors

NSW East Conference -
Newcastle Knights
Central Coast Bears
Sydney Roosters
South Sydney Rabbitohs

NSW West Conference -
Penrith Panthers
Parramatta Eels
West’s Tigers
Canberra Raiders
I had the same idea, just with 4 conferences North, South, East and West, with 5 teams in each conference.
Everyone plays each other once, then their own conference twice, and add magic round and a heritage round (vs rival) top 2 from each conference make the finals, 25 rounds.
Yeah im of the opinion that more conferences would create more rivalries too, i posted a few months ago, the compass idea, to keep travel for fans easier, and distance relatively closer for memberships, verse the teams within your conference Home & Away, but only once outside your conference
The Northern conference stretching from North Qld, to Newcastle
(& brisbane, gold coast, brissy2)
Southern conference stretching from South Sydney to Melbourne (& SGI Dragons,
Canberra, Adelaide)
Eastern Conference stretching from NZ to Sydney roosters (& manly, cronulla, NZ2)
Western Conference stretching from Perth to Wests tigers (& penrith, parra and bulldogs)

Add a heritage/rival round, and a magic round, giving us 25 rounds
Top 2 from each conference makes the finals

Also suggest significant financial grants for teams to forfeit their roster to a brand new team
For example brisbane broncos to get the start up cost to create a new roster, whilst the current roster of milford, boyd, lodge etc, become the new venture in brisbane,
This can be also done with the warriors
Ushering in the 2nd New Zealand side.
However Perth and Adelaide, might have to have a sydney team with depth of talent do this (Penriths roster could play under Perth Pirates, and penrith hones in on their own lower grade, and St George does the same by porting their current roster to Adelaide, for example)
This gives fans of the previous squad to enjoy the new team of say Christchurch Bulls, and follow Roger Tuava Sheck, Blake Green, etc, whilst Warriors get cashed up and recreate their new roster, but still have their fanbase.
Im sure after 5-10 years the rosters would be completely new from a squad 10 years prior, but this gets a head start to these new ventures in new locations,
Im sure when melbourne storm was created by the combined rosters of closed down perth reds and hunter mariners, plus a few other marquee players like Glen Lazerus
It made them successful, this way, only the roster ports over, while the old team gets rewarded and starts fresh with a young squad, not many teams would want to do this, and logistically uprooting a squad of say 20 players plus staff, isn't easy, but a team in Adelaide would need to hit the ground running, not take a decade to form then possibly fail, a ready made roster would solve this, by relocation of players/staff, whilst restarting the current brand.
Or give each club remuneration for any player who wants to join a new venture, but only if the player is from the same conference, so Josh Maguire, Matt Gillett, Ash Taylor, Kayln Ponga, from the Northern Conference clubs can play for the new Brisbane team, and clubs where they came from get paid out, but clubs like Newcastle aren't going to want Kayln jumping ship, not for money,
Im sure Waqa Blake might want to join the Pirates for example

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
Sydney teams would barely have to travel which would give them an advantage by finals time.

Plus you lost me at Central Coast Bears.

I'm not against the ideas of conferences if we end up with an all Sydney conference or two I'd rather just stick with what we have + whatever expansion teams come along.

siv

First Grade
Sydney teams would barely have to travel which would give them an advantage by finals time.

Plus you lost me at Central Coast Bears.

I'm not against the ideas of conferences if we end up with an all Sydney conference or two I'd rather just stick with what we have + whatever expansion teams come along.

As has been pointed already Sydney teams are all travelling 4 to 5 times already

So a Sydney v Regional conference does not change their travels

Perth Red

Post Whore
As has been pointed already Sydney teams are all travelling 4 to 5 times already

So a Sydney v Regional conference does not change their travels

it does though. If your Storm you end up travelling to Qland 4 times, NZ once, NSW 6 times.
If a Sydney club you only travel outside of NSW 3 times. How is that equitable?

adamkungl

Immortal
it does though. If your Storm you end up travelling to Qland 4 times, NZ once, NSW 6 times.

Doesn't seem to effect the Storm, at any rate.
Traveling is a requirement of a national comp.
Who cares if tinpot suburban clubs get some minor travel advantage, it has done them jack all good anyway.

my conferences would be more like this

A
Roosters
Souths
Wests
Storm
Perth
Warriors

B
Parramatta
Bulldogs
Penrith
Raiders
Broncos
Cowboys

C
Manly
St George-Illawarra
Cronulla
Knights
Titans
South QLD

T-Boon

Coach
Conferences is a necessity to build stringer rivalries. People always bitch that it is unfair in some way but those people don't know what they are talking about.

siv

First Grade

But how is that different to today for the Storm, or any of the regional teams ?

They all travel for every one of their current away games

They will always travel more than Sydney clubs for ANY conference combination option

Getmefood

Juniors
22 Rounds

National Conference -

North Queensland Cowboys
Brisbane Broncos
Gold Coast Titans
Melbourne Storm
Nz Warriors

NSW East Conference -
Newcastle Knights
Central Coast Bears
Sydney Roosters
South Sydney Rabbitohs

NSW West Conference -
Penrith Panthers
Parramatta Eels
West’s Tigers
Canberra Raiders

Need to look at things short term & see what is best fit for the fans.. Had a discussion with family over Christmas & Rabbitohs should be kicked out (like 2003 all over again) Melbourne Storm - no offence but they have cost the NRL - this is not only about the NRL too this is about Country Rugby League, junior RL & the sports survival long term etc.. Everyone has to work together here to keep the sport going! News Ltd do nothing but put a twist on the truth & report the sport in a negative way! in fact I only read SMH & the NRL website itself when it comes to Rugby league analysis. This is all to save money & ensure the money is invested back into the sport & looking after the players when their careers are finished.

Short term

After 2023 axe the Rabbitohs, Titans & Storm (if any of those clubs wish to continue that must be separately in the Intrust Super Cup leagues & just operating as feeder clubs) unless Melbourne start throwing more of there juniors into the NRL - most notable names to come from there is Jake Webster & Mahe Fonua..

Medium term
Introduce conference systems into NRL & make way for international fixtures (TBH IMHO State of Origin is getting repetitive QLD vs NSW - If I want to see that I'll just go & watch the Cowboys or Broncos play in Sydney) sometimes this is not about watching the "best" players go at it, it's about what is "best" for the sport's long term future.

Long term
Asia Pacific Premiership with conferences from Asia, Australia, & the Pacific. Sounds like Super Rugby (Union) but a tidier version :D

The Great Dane

First Grade
As things stand the "regional" clubs already have serious problems getting players from Sydney to move out of Sydney. If you make what are effectively Sydney conferences you'll make it borderline impossible for regional clubs to attract players from Sydney clubs.

Look at it from a players perspective, why go through the process to move house and the kids schools, leave family and friends behind, etc, to a place where you'll be away from the family most weekends, when you could take a little bit less, but still be payed hundreds of thousands of dollars, and stay in Sydney where you won't have to go through the process of moving and you won't be away from the kids most weekends.

The only way conferences work is if you have a relatively even spread of clubs geographically (like in America where most cities only have one club and none have more than two), otherwise they're deeply unfair to the point of totally undermining the legitimacy of the competition.

Perth Red

Post Whore
But how is that different to today for the Storm, or any of the regional teams ?

They all travel for every one of their current away games

They will always travel more than Sydney clubs for ANY conference combination option

Not if you split conferences into more even spread of NSW and non NSW clubs. At the moment most Sydney clubs have to travel outside of NSW 4 times a season, probably be 5-6 when Brisbane2 and Perth come in.
It is a lopsided equity at moment agreed, part of the problem of over saturation of clubs in one city in a semi National competition.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Need to look at things short term & see what is best fit for the fans.. Had a discussion with family over Christmas & Rabbitohs should be kicked out (like 2003 all over again) Melbourne Storm - no offence but they have cost the NRL - this is not only about the NRL too this is about Country Rugby League, junior RL & the sports survival long term etc.. Everyone has to work together here to keep the sport going! News Ltd do nothing but put a twist on the truth & report the sport in a negative way! in fact I only read SMH & the NRL website itself when it comes to Rugby league analysis. This is all to save money & ensure the money is invested back into the sport & looking after the players when their careers are finished.

Short term

After 2023 axe the Rabbitohs, Titans & Storm (if any of those clubs wish to continue that must be separately in the Intrust Super Cup leagues & just operating as feeder clubs) unless Melbourne start throwing more of there juniors into the NRL - most notable names to come from there is Jake Webster & Mahe Fonua..

Medium term
Introduce conference systems into NRL & make way for international fixtures (TBH IMHO State of Origin is getting repetitive QLD vs NSW - If I want to see that I'll just go & watch the Cowboys or Broncos play in Sydney) sometimes this is not about watching the "best" players go at it, it's about what is "best" for the sport's long term future.

Long term
Asia Pacific Premiership with conferences from Asia, Australia, & the Pacific. Sounds like Super Rugby (Union) but a tidier version :D

Lay off the drugs young man lol.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’d split the conferences based on; rivalry ,Sydney split, geography to some degree and travel impacts. Play each team in your conference home and away and each team on other conference once, alternating home and away each season. 25 game regular season (to give more content for more $'s).
Top 9 playoffs with top 4 from each conference plus 9th placed wildcard.

Arthur Summons Conference

Panthers
Eels
Bulldogs
Wests
Knights
Broncos
Titans
Cowboys
Brisbane2

Norm Provan conference

Dragons
Rabbits
Sharks
Roosters
Sea-Eagles
Raiders
Warriors
Storm
Pirates

Next expansion NZ2 in NP conference and Adelaide in AS conference

mongoose

Coach

Short term

Medium term

Long term

this is why the NRL is doomed. There is surprisingly a lot of people who have braindead ideas such as this one....

flippikat

Bench
Doesn't seem to effect the Storm, at any rate.
Traveling is a requirement of a national comp.
Who cares if tinpot suburban clubs get some minor travel advantage, it has done them jack all good anyway.

my conferences would be more like this

A
Roosters
Souths
Wests
Storm
Perth
Warriors

B
Parramatta
Bulldogs
Penrith
Raiders
Broncos
Cowboys

C
Manly
St George-Illawarra
Cronulla
Knights
Titans
South QLD

I like your grouping of the Sydney clubs.

Rabbitohs, Roosters Tigers - the 3 remaining foundation teams in one conference.

Parra, Bulldogs, Penrith - a good western Sydney focus, strong rivalries between Eels & Bulldogs and Eels & Panthers. Not a huge history between Bulldogs and Panthers, but that can be nurtured.

Manly, Dragons, Cronulla - probably the weakest for rivalries.. Dragons v Sharks is always a good tussle, but Manly vs either of the other two is more a historical rivalry than anything simmering now. Speaking of a hot recent rivalry, I'm surprised the Storm aren't aren't in this conference given that their games against Manly have a lot of spice, and they also played GFs against the Dragons and Sharks in the last 20ish years.

MugaB

Coach
Whats the advantage over what we have now?
Advantages aren't for the clubs, its for the fans to be able to travel to the closer areas, than the randomness we have now, if we go the 4 "compass" conferences, everyone still plays each other once, but its the 2nd time round vs the same conference that helps build the geographical rivalries, after 3+ seasons, having penrith vs wests will be a rivalry or perth vs parra, it also keeps consistency, knowing that there will be 2 teams from each part of the conferences will represent in the finals too, no matter if the sydney teams have more points within their conference, there will be most likely a qld team by default in the finals

Northern
COWBOYS.
BRONCOS.
TITANS.
SOUTH QLD (new).
NEWCASTLE.

Western
PERTH (new).
PARRAMATTA.
PENRITH.
WESTS.
CANTERBURY.

Southern
SOUTHS.
ST.GEORGE.
CANBERRA.
MELBOURNE.
ADELAIDE (new).

Eastern
NEW ZEALAND.
NEW ZEALAND 2 (new).
MANLY.
SYDNEY.
CRONULLA.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Some of these clubs have been playing each other for 50-100 years. If they dont have a rivalry by now they never will.

MugaB

Coach
Some of these clubs have been playing each other for 50-100 years. If they dont have a rivalry by now they never will.
Its not just about the 50-100year old Sydney teams, its about rivalries with all clubs, especially titans and any new club