What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cody Ramsey

LINESPEED

Juniors
Poppa really did hurt people but a lot of his tackles were spear tackles which would see him spending a lot of time on the sidelines these days.

Yeah Dad & I used to go to the SCG often to see Poppa & Puff - always favourites for us.
Clay used to hit hard with a lifting bearhug motion - landing his opposition flat on his back - with Clay on top for good measure.

The Dragons used to give the opposition the ball for the first 20 mins to soften them up

Last edited:

Warabrook saint

Juniors
Don't want to get bogged down in semantics here, but the names mentioned (Cooper Beattie et al) were all technically very good defenders but not devastating in the way I mean it. Poppa Clay hurt people- they often didn't get up after he hit them- Jorge Taufua is probably the closest thing to what I'm talking about in today's game.
We haven't had a five eighth as good since

Drakon

Juniors
Roy Ferguson was a tough, hard hitting centre in the early to mid 70's for us. Loved the way he hit - he hit much like Taufua does as well.

Reactions: jak

Old Timer

Coach
Poppa had a very low centre of gravity so very often he could tilt the opposition players upside down by using their own body weight.
Plenty of spear tackles amongst the front on bear hugs and blind side smashes as they caught the ball looking the other way
That was all allowable in those days but he wouldn’t get away with it today and I doubt if he could have played any other way.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Isn’t it great to see a young Dragon doing so well ! He certainly has just about everything that a fullback requires - speed - good under the high ball - and also a neat 2step that puts opposition defensives completely out of sync . Oh and bag loads of confidence, as many before me have already mentioned , I wonder just which club will use this kid ?

Courtesy of Millward, SGI has multiple pathways- about 15 all up- one to Cronulla, Souths, Bulldogs, Manly...........

Dragons2020

Juniors
Under 20s player of the year in a club that’s first grade side came 15th and outside backs struggled all year. It’s a no brainer this kid should be given first crack at first grade on the wing IMO

boardlumps62

Juniors
Little wonder some of these young blokes blow their knees. I seem two exercises Cody was doing talk about knee stress on those skinny legs. I'm not an expert or a physio but who are they kidding. They grow the muscles but that doesn't do anything for the knee bones. I expect some flack on my outspokenness. But if I add IMO eek.

Dragonsamy

Bench
Little wonder some of these young blokes blow their knees. I seem two exercises Cody was doing talk about knee stress on those skinny legs. I'm not an expert or a physio but who are they kidding. They grow the muscles but that doesn't do anything for the knee bones. I expect some flack on my outspokenness. But if I add IMO eek.

I understand what your saying but he needs to strengthen his legs etc.
That will take the pressure of the knees.
Most knee injuries happen when There's multiple people involved in the tackle, and the knee gets bent in the wrong direction and snaps a ligament or two. Secondly can happen when they're sidestep it puts a strain on all the ligaments.

Latest posts