What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Rhyno

First Grade
And yet so many pub heroes around these parts thought Ponga was greedy and had an overinflated opinion of himself.

When I met Kalyn all I saw was a humble, well mannered, easy-going young bloke...
Let’s hope Adam has learnt a lesson from the brown sacking and he has gone and bought Ponga he’s own personal milkshake machine

Silent Knight

First Grade
Let’s hope Adam has learnt a lesson from the brown sacking and he has gone and bought Ponga he’s own personal milkshake machine

Can anyone here help translate this gibberish? I think Rhyno is saying Ponga is a milkshake machine, or something to that effect.

Silent Knight

First Grade
Saw somewhere that Brock Lamb might come and play in the Newcastle RL? Didn't he reject a really good deal when we offered one? Big fall from grace if he is the guy I'm thinking about.

giphy.gif

https://www.maitlandmercury.com.au/story/6584586/brock-lamb-signs-with-maitland-pickers/

I'm no fan of Bennett (and never will be after what he did to us) but I think it was telling in the above article that Brock just wanted to play a few NRL games. I recall Bennett saying that for some players the goal was just to make first grade, whereas when he was with the Dragons the players were seeking to win a premiership.

I'll never make light of players who are struggling mentally (mental illness is a real thing) but what we really need at the club is a culture where local players aspire to achieve more than just playing NRL. Because just making first grade in itself isn't enough of an aspiration. The club needs to identify juniors with talent but then our coaches and support staff need to instill in them a sense of self-belief and drive to succeed. I would argue that isn't happening right now.

I remember watching Timana Tahu play in reserve grade in the lead-up to the main game. You knew he was going to be something special and when he entered first grade he took the rugby league world by storm. We need players like Timana who are hungry for success and want to go on to greater things.

Knight Vision

First Grade
If Lamb " always wanted to just play a few games" he could have continued doing that at Newcastle as 5/8 to Pearce. The reports were he thought he was worth more money so ended up leaving. Lamb sounds like a young man trying to convince himself it's ok that the dream is over.

I've always been of the belief to follow happiness and not money. ....In the long term if you are happy and ambitious the money almost certainly follows. Today most young people dont seem to understand that. They want success and fortune instantly.....unfortunately life rarely works that way.

I put much of the saga on poor advice from player agents who are more concerned with their % of player earnings than they are about player welfare and sound career/life advice.

Old dog

Juniors
Lamb appears to be the classic case of poor advice or judgement. Browns original claim of offering Watson 5/8 is also part of it, Lamb should have stayed despite not enough money, junior club, fought for position and learned along the way. At least stayed for one more year, give it his best shot, if not working out then go. Seems ridiculous that 5/8 is our problem position and we have lost our potential best over past years, not saying he would have solved our situation but he could have been in the box seat and instead he threw away all his years of training and playing by opting for the “show me the money” scenario, poor advice or judgement?

Joel-22

Juniors
It would not totally surprise me if Levi went on to become one of the best hookers in the game. I wish him well.
dims

Levi doesn't have the smarts to be a great hooker

I somehow agree with both of you haha

I think if Levi simplifies his game and focuses on learning when to pick his moments to run - he will absolutely kill it at manly with their forward pack and style of play.

slotmachine

First Grade
Levi going to Manly, he's already been paid $80k, we're tipping in another $70k and we will free up $225k

Knights will post a profit of $800k which includes paying out Brown $500k.

That was about it.

Burwood

Bench
500K payout. JFC. Thought the contract he was on meant there wouldn't be such a payout?

The payout was always part of it. I asked Toohey on Twitter a couple of times since the contract was announced if any such payment would go against the salary cap, but never got a reply.

Knight Vision

First Grade
The payout was always part of it. I asked Toohey on Twitter a couple of times since the contract was announced if any such payment would go against the salary cap, but never got a reply.
I believe there's a "soft cap " now. (Footy admin cap ) It may count under this but it wouldnt count against the salary cap for players I imagine.

ryana87

Juniors
Newcastle are eyeing South Sydney duo Adam Doueihi and Alex Johnston to give their backline a late tune-up before the new season starts.

With hooker Danny Levi set to join Manly, the Knights have a bit of room to move in the salary cap.

They are likely to sign either Doueihi or Johnston, but not both.

Souths are prepared to give either a release, so it is just a question of which of the pair is most to the liking of Knights coach Adam O'Brien.

Both are very versatile performers - Doueihi can play just about anywhere in the backline, while Johnston has shown he can handle wing, fullback or centre

Latest posts