What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Under rated actors

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I will start with this guy

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0393222/?ref_=tt_cl_t4

James Hong was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA. He studied civil engineering at the University of Minnesota, but at some point along the way became interested in acting. He graduated from the University of Southern California and practiced for 1½ years as a road engineer with the County of Los Angeles.

Big Trouble in Little China...classic.

Jack Deth

Juniors

James Hong was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA. He studied civil engineering at the University of Minnesota, but at some point along the way became interested in acting. He graduated from the University of Southern California and practiced for 1½ years as a road engineer with the County of Los Angeles.

Do not forget Blade Runner.

Wizardman

First Grade

Very entertaining guy.

Matua

Bench
Spot f**king on. The guy does not deliver a bad performance......he normally does play guys that are a bit loose in the head.
I don't think he's a bad actor but I find he plays the same intense guy in 90% of his roles. Furthermore, I don't think he's underrated, he's the go to guy for that role.

3 actors I reckon are great but don’t seem to get much recognition...

Stanley Tucci
Will Patton
Sam Rockwell

they end up usually cast supporting roles... but i rate them highly.
Rockwell and Tucci are not underrated and get huge recognition for their acting.

I guess it depends on the definition of underrated, to me means good actors who don't get recognised for that acting, which I don't think those two, or even Patton do, they're all thought of as good actors who elevate a film when they're in it.

I would nominate someone like Brad Pitt who's actually a good actor but doesn't usually get plaudits for that because of pretty boy-ness and superstardom. Although, he's winning lots of plaudits for Once Upon ... so I'm probably a year late nominating him.

shiznit

Coach
I don't think he's a bad actor but I find he plays the same intense guy in 90% of his roles. Furthermore, I don't think he's underrated, he's the go to guy for that role.

Rockwell and Tucci are not underrated and get huge recognition for their acting.

I guess it depends on the definition of underrated, to me means good actors who don't get recognised for that acting, which I don't think those two, or even Patton do, they're all thought of as good actors who elevate a film when they're in it.

I would nominate someone like Brad Pitt who's actually a good actor but doesn't usually get plaudits for that because of pretty boy-ness and superstardom. Although, he's winning lots of plaudits for Once Upon ... so I'm probably a year late nominating him.

i get your point... I kinda look at it like they are strong actors who seem to be endlessly cast in supporting roles when in fact I think they are often better than the leads.

Rockwell I think has won an oscar for a supporting role... Tucci was nominated for the lovely bones I think... so they have had some recognition.

Patton was a bit more obscure I guess... and he’s probably a fair bit behind the other two... but I really liked him in remember the titans.. I thought he was a great foil for Denzel... and he’s popped up in other roles where I’ve often noticed him.

I do get your point about Brad Pitt... sometimes i think we dismiss certain actors/actresses based on them being that A lister type that plays the lead in a million films because of their high profile.

Funnily enough a couple of months ago I was thinking about the fact I thought that i really hated Leonardo Decaprio as an actor... yet he plays the lead in probably 2 of my favourite all time films in Inception and The Departed.

I think that’s probably I bias i have in a similar vein.

Matua

Bench
i get your point... I kinda look at it like they are strong actors who seem to be endlessly cast in supporting roles when in fact I think they are often better than the leads.

Rockwell I think has won an oscar for a supporting role... Tucci was nominated for the lovely bones I think... so they have had some recognition.

Patton was a bit more obscure I guess... and he’s probably a fair bit behind the other two... but I really liked him in remember the titans.. I thought he was a great foil for Denzel... and he’s popped up in other roles where I’ve often noticed him.

I do get your point about Brad Pitt... sometimes i think we dismiss certain actors/actresses based on them being that A lister type that plays the lead in a million films because of their high profile.

Funnily enough a couple of months ago I was thinking about the fact I thought that i really hated Leonardo Decaprio as an actor... yet he plays the lead in probably 2 of my favourite all time films in Inception and The Departed.

I think that’s probably I bias i have in a similar vein.
I get your point to ... although I think some actors are better suited to character roles. I like Rockwell and think he's a good lead in, say, Moon but I don't think he necessarily suits being the lead in a bunch of movies.

I first remember Patton from Inventing the Abbotts (saw it as a mid teen and Jennifer Connelly got very topless in it so remember it well) so have always noticed him since then.

I like Leo but don't think he should have won for The Revenant (his performance in Once is leagues ahead of that IMHO).

Not sure I could have movies with Clive Owen in as my favourites - I really hate him as an actor, aside from the surgeon tv series, he suited playing a pompous unlikeable character.

PJ

First Grade

Agree with the Pitt part, and for mine Tom Cruise fits in there as well. I know he has at least 1 Academy nomination, but I think he is a genuinly good actor that doesn't get credit for his skills.

PJ

First Grade
I get your point to ... although I think some actors are better suited to character roles. I like Rockwell and think he's a good lead in, say, Moon but I don't think he necessarily suits being the lead in a bunch of movies.

I first remember Patton from Inventing the Abbotts (saw it as a mid teen and Jennifer Connelly got very topless in it so remember it well) so have always noticed him since then.

I like Leo but don't think he should have won for The Revenant (his performance in Once is leagues ahead of that IMHO).

Not sure I could have movies with Clive Owen in as my favourites - I really hate him as an actor, aside from the surgeon tv series, he suited playing a pompous unlikeable character.

Really liked Clive in Children of Men. From memory he wasn't pompous or unlikeable there.

Silent Knight

First Grade
Bokeem Woodbine - thought he turned out a great performance in the Fargo TV series (season 2 from memory) but hasn't really gone on to the heights I thought he would.

Michael Biehn - work dried up after Terminator, Aliens and Tombstone. Should have gone onwards and upwards from there but was consigned to B-movie land.

Gary Sinise - Tom Hanks gets all the kudos in Forrest Gump, but this guy was the standout for me. Went on to...CSI...I think?

Billy Dee Williams - all that style and charm, remembered for Star Wars and Batman, but this guy honestly should have gone down as a legend.

Cary Elwes - Turned out a great performance in Princess Bride but with the exception of Robin Hood Men in Tights largely disappeared off the radar. Recently reappeared in Stranger Things, where he was great.

Harold Ramis (RIP) - lived in the shadow of Bill Murray, should have been recognised far more than he was for his comedic efforts. Sadly missed by the fans though.

Embeth Davidtz - turned out a great performance in Schindler's List but hasn't really been sighted a lot since.

Just my opinion, feel free to correct me if I've overlooked any of these actors achievements.

Last edited:

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Agree with the Pitt part, and for mine Tom Cruise fits in there as well. I know he has at least 1 Academy nomination, but I think he is a genuinly good actor that doesn't get credit for his skills.
I love Oblivion. I know I am alone, but I love that concept.

I used to give my daughter shyte for loving Timberlake.

He won me over, dude can act, now she gives me shtye...damn it.

I guess it is about the roles, good actors pick good roles, well mainly, everyone has a stinker.

Latest posts