What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Dont' Like Cricket, Oh No, I Love it, Yeah

Bazal

Post Whore
Whether you reckon he chucked or not, Murali was a freak to be fair.

No other player could bowl like him without the same deformity

Eelementary

Post Whore
Whether you reckon he chucked or not, Murali was a freak to be fair.

No other player could bowl like him without the same deformity

Great bowler.

He was a chucker, imo, but still - a great player.

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore
Muttiah Muralitharan, or Shane Warne - who would you have in your squad, hypothetically?

I would go for Warne, just, on the strength of his batting - 12 Test 50's, compared to Muralithara's 1, would make him a handier addition, imo.

84 Baby

Referee
Muttiah Muralitharan, or Shane Warne - who would you have in your squad, hypothetically?

I would go for Warne, just, on the strength of his batting - 12 Test 50's, compared to Muralithara's 1, would make him a handier addition, imo.
Murali could obviously take wickets but Warnie could turn games further than even he could turn a ball.

Murali 25 tests against Bangledesh and Zimbabwe for 176 wickets Warne 3 tests for 17. Those are not test wickets. Grade cricket wickets maybe. Warne every day of the week

strider

Post Whore
Warnie is the greatest spin bowler of all time ... we should consider our selves lucky to have seen him play.

Can be a bit of a knob at times, but he is entertaining

Bazal

Post Whore
Warnie is the greatest spin bowler of all time ... we should consider our selves lucky to have seen him play.

Can be a bit of a knob at times, but he is entertaining

Murali absolutely has a claim to be held in the same regard, though. Very different bowler but still a genius

Another comparison

Murali

VersusMatchesOversMaidensRunsWickets5w10wBestAvgS/RE/R

Australia 13* 685.3 100 2128 59 5 1 6 for 59 36.07 69.7 3.1

Warne

VersusMatchesOversMaidensRunsWickets5w10wBestAvgS/RE/R

Sri Lanka 13 527.5 132 1507 59 5 2 5 for 43 25.54 53.6 2.85

Played the same tests and took the same wickets against each others country. Warnes average 10.53 runs a wicket better from 158 less overs. Warne with 2 x 10 fors. Warne everyday of the week

Eelementary

Post Whore
Imo, Shane Warne was a better cricketer, but I have seen some people claim that Muralitharan was a better bowler.

Personally, Shane Warne is the greatest spinner I ever witnessed, and he was handy with the bat, too.

I think Muralitharan was a freak, and a joy to watch - but I think Warne eclipses him as a cricketer.

Bazal

Post Whore
Imo, Shane Warne was a better cricketer, but I have seen some people claim that Muralitharan was a better bowler.

Personally, Shane Warne is the greatest spinner I ever witnessed, and he was handy with the bat, too.

I think Muralitharan was a freak, and a joy to watch - but I think Warne eclipses him as a cricketer.

Warne beats him, but not by as much as some like to claim.

The idea that filtered in late in Murali's career that he was nothing but a minnow basher is absolutely absurd

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Murali also had pitches especially prepared for him which make Chaminda Vaas a brilliant bowler considering he did all his work on dust bowls.

He also didn't like bowling in Australia so much so that towards the end of his career he seemed to be injured a lot when Sri Lanka was touring Australia.

He seemed a nice enough bloke and got slated for his action and the fact that the rules were changed to suit his action but he wasn't the one making those decisions.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Colin Miller >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Murali

miller-1447676700-800.jpg

Bazal

Post Whore
Murali also had pitches especially prepared for him which make Chaminda Vaas a brilliant bowler considering he did all his work on dust bowls.

He also didn't like bowling in Australia so much so that towards the end of his career he seemed to be injured a lot when Sri Lanka was touring Australia.

He seemed a nice enough bloke and got slated for his action and the fact that the rules were changed to suit his action but he wasn't the one making those decisions.

He's an absolutely lovely guy, FTR. I feel like that played a big part in his decisions not to tour Australia, his personality wouldn't allow him to cope with the shit that crowds gave him. Poor fella

But that shouldn't matter when talking his record. Warne is an utter shit stain but he's an all time great in the field.

Murali is comfortably the second greatest spinner of all time.

I agree btw. I have Vaas as my all time most underrated bowler. He was an absolute genius and he just kept coming at you. A bit like Neil Wagner in terms of his motor and his heart

84 Baby

Referee
He's an absolutely lovely guy, FTR. I feel like that played a big part in his decisions not to tour Australia, his personality wouldn't allow him to cope with the shit that crowds gave him. Poor fella

But that shouldn't matter when talking his record. Warne is an utter shit stain but he's an all time great in the field.

Murali is comfortably the second greatest spinner of all time.

I agree btw. I have Vaas as my all time most underrated bowler. He was an absolute genius and he just kept coming at you. A bit like Neil Wagner in terms of his motor and his heart
He’s as much clear number 2 as Warne is clear number 1.
It can be a little unfair comparing them. Like comparing basketballers. There has been some great players but we all know who the clear alltime great is

Latest posts