What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reminders of your childhood

EH holden’s, we had like 3, marbles, basketball cards, the ridiculous phone card collecting craze that went through our school, the f**ken ecstatic feeling I had when the folks said we were getting Chinese food for dinner, going down to toy world to look at all the shit my parents could never afford, the bloody the board game “hero quest”, eating casserole’s, games of cricket with my brother who always lost interest once I got him out so meant 90% of the times we played was me bowling, still blame him for me being a shit batsman but a pretty handy bowler, the broncos actually being good and winning premierships.

Sorry guys got on a bit of a roll there.

Great memories

Eating casseroles, I remember them as well. And back in the day they contained large portions of beef, slow cooked with potatoes, carrots etc The fight for the last slices of bread to mop up the plate at the end.

Six and out and you had to get the tennis ball from the weird neighbours next door.

billygilmore

Juniors
Great memories

Eating casseroles, I remember them as well. And back in the day they contained large portions of beef, slow cooked with potatoes, carrots etc The fight for the last slices of bread to mop up the plate at the end.

Six and out and you had to get the tennis ball from the weird neighbours next door.

Haha we to had the weird creepy neighbour, cue the mission impossible theme music when you had to jump the fence and get the ball

Haha we to had the weird creepy neighbour, cue the mission impossible theme music when you had to jump the fence and get the ball

Yeah, up on mates shoulders, over the fence and make a dash for the ball near the other fence.

You think you were all clear when a bit later, dickhead would be patrolling his yard, sweeping loudly in disapproval.

Warne had nothing on Daveo’s spin, but they always looked wide to me.

The Rosco

Bench
For the kids, we had full driveway service stations.

theyd fill your tank, check your tyres, check your oil and radiator. Washer wiper, clean your windows- inside and out.. Smile and be nice at you.

All due respect, Silverdale . . . but the kids might need some help here . . . .
Tank---- Kids, he means petrol tank. Petrol, not squishy's, is what service stations are there for. You need petrol to make your car go.
Tyres---- the 4 black roundy things under each corner of your car. They have air in them to help them roll, which helps to make your car go.
Oil--- this goes in your engine to make it work, so your car goes. The engine is one of the important bits
of your car. It's under the flat front part that your girlfriend insists on sitting on. Google "how to check my engine oil"
Radiator--- You're too young to understand "I'm coming home", so I'll leave that be. A radiator is another important car thingy. It holds the water to keep your car cool, and not blow up. Always wait a good while before opening the radiator cap. Just because, that's why.
Happy New Year everybody !!

Incorrect

Coach
I remember the neighbour at one of the houses I grew up in had 4 (read 4!) German Shepherds who used to wander in and out of the owner's house... So when I was down to one tennis ball and happened to hit it over the fence, if those dogs were inside the house, I'd take my chances, jump the fence and run quicker than Usain Bolt, grab the ball and then leg it back over the fence pronto!! When I look back now, I was f**king crazy to take such a chance!!

billygilmore

Juniors
One hand catches off the fence were the stuff of legends.

My brother and I still have a good laugh every now and then about this time he cracked this beautiful lofted off drive that bounced straight of the tank and cracked me in the side of the head, we were playing with a proper cricket ball that day too.

Another one, we were playing with a cricket ball this day too, brothers bowled the ball and I smoked it straight back down the pitch, he’s gone down on one knee to field it and it hit a rock right in front of him and reared up and cracked him right in the eye, I thought I’d broke his face I hit it that hard, one of them ones right of the middle of the bat. He got a nice black eye from that one

i was going to advise the kids to only use mineral water when filling up your indicator lights

The check engine light means to open up the lid of the engine and ask the engine if it is ok.

If it answers back kids then you need to see a doctor.

My brother and I still have a good laugh every now and then about this time he cracked this beautiful lofted off drive that bounced straight of the tank and cracked me in the side of the head, we were playing with a proper cricket ball that day too.

Another one, we were playing with a cricket ball this day too, brothers bowled the ball and I smoked it straight back down the pitch, he’s gone down on one knee to field it and it hit a rock right in front of him and reared up and cracked him right in the eye, I thought I’d broke his face I hit it that hard, one of them ones right of the middle of the bat. He got a nice black eye from that one

Brutal. These modern day test players are wimps!

Watching Cricket on the Hill at the SCG in the 80’s n 90’s. Was like being in Thunderdome. Especially at a day nighter around 7pm when the lights would take hold of the ground as much as the beers took hold of the crowd.

Mexican waves would see everything thrown in the air... beer, hot-dogs, bbq chickens, the lot. I remember beach balls aplenty but also the odd inflatable crocodile and once even a Judy Doll was getting tossed around all night.. Was an education as a teenager in the 80’s but in the 90’s it was brilliant to be involved in, although it really started to get out of hand in the mid 90’s (remember the bears / Jason Taylor etc, that era). We sat behind the Steelers once and they were top blokes but blind as bats. Most of the crowd on the hill were kicked out before the end of the game than remained some nights. That era signalled the end of full strength beer sales.

My other vivid memory was at an Australia Pakistan one dayer and I was in the (now extinct) Doug Walters stand. Over the top of the Hill with no shade whatsoever... I was a fair-skinned kid and lathered sunblock all over me throughout the day, but forgot to cover my knees - peering out the bottom of my shorts when sitting down. Never experienced pain like it for the next 2 weeks while trying to walk. Bright red they were almost purple. Ahh the good ole days.
SCG-Beersnake2004-01-04.jpg

Last edited:
With there flat pitches and consistent bounce, our pitch playing on the front foot took some balls. I also remember our pitch sloped up a couple feet outside my brothers off stump, he was a lefty, if I hit that spot bowling leg spin I could get it ripping back rivalling anything warney could deliver

Shout out to Warney too for his baggy cap donation. Legend.

axl rose

Bench
eating casserole’s, games of cricket with my brother who always lost interest once I got him out so meant 90% of the times we played was me bowling, still blame him for me being a shit batsman but a pretty handy bowler, the broncos actually being good and winning premierships.

Good stuff billy. I had no brothers so shot basketballs by myself for a decade, I could shoot but couldn't defend for shit. My excuse anyway.

Who remembers Horace Grant and his cool glasses! no-one? ok then

1-Horace-Grant-93-NBA-Finals-Gm-1-NBAE-Andrew-Bernstein-1-e1472231796632.jpg

axl rose

Bench
Mexican waves would see everything thrown in the air... beer, hot-dogs, bbq chickens, the lot. I remember beach balls aplenty but also the odd inflatable crocodile and once even a Judy Doll

I remember at the Gabba in the late 90s people throwing items at the saffas spinner Pat Symcox (like Cornettos) as the wave went around, he was a bit of a villain but a good character.

I remember the neighbour at one of the houses I grew up in had 4 (read 4!) German Shepherds who used to wander in and out of the owner's house... So when I was down to one tennis ball and happened to hit it over the fence, if those dogs were inside the house, I'd take my chances, jump the fence and run quicker than Usain Bolt, grab the ball and then leg it back over the fence pronto!! When I look back now, I was f**king crazy to take such a chance!!

haha Junk Yard Chopper!

Last edited:

Incorrect

Coach
Good stuff billy. I had no brothers so shot basketballs by myself for a decade, I could shoot but couldn't defend for shit. My excuse anyway.

Loved Horace Grant, and his twin brother Harvey to a lesser extent...

Remember John Paxson's 3 pointer in the dying seconds of Game 6 of the Finals v Barkley and the Suns? Bulls down by 2 with time running out, Horace is open just inside the key, they get it to him, he could have gone for the basket to tie it up and force OT but instead passes it off Paxson for the game/championship winner.... Horace in that game and Game 5 from memory had made only 1 or 2 field goals. I always wondered if the pass to Paxson was planned of or if he gave up the shot because his confidence was shot... In those days, Jordan almost exclusively took the shot with the game on the line but Phoenix D'd up on him well.... Whatever, it was a gutsy play and being a Bulls fan at the time I watched that game on VHS over and over and over.... Great era....

billygilmore

Juniors

Still have a Horace Grant Basketball card in my collection hidden away in the shed somewhere, just waiting for my cards to be worth the millions I thought they would one day, I’m sure not many people were collecting basketball cards in the early 90’s so they would be super rare haha

horrie hastings

First Grade
the f**ken ecstatic feeling I had when the folks said we were getting Chinese food for dinner

My parents used to take us to a Chinese restaurant that was right near the corner of Ebley St on Bronte Rd at Bondi Jct back in the late 60s and me and my sister always used to have a coke with the food, I also have memories of going to an Italian restaurant at Bondi Jct also, it was off Oxford St on a street that ran along the side of Grace Bros where the car park exited, the Italian was a real treat for us back in the late 60s as it felt like something really exotic at the time and I remember there was a fountain in the plaza near the restaurant that my sister and I used to like running around. Quite often Friday nights would be fish and chips night from the fish shop at Paddington.

axl rose

Bench
Still have a Horace Grant Basketball card in my collection hidden away in the shed somewhere, just waiting for my cards to be worth the millions I thought they would one day, I’m sure not many people were collecting basketball cards in the early 90’s so they would be super rare haha
Ha ill take your Jordan rookie card!

billygilmore

Juniors
Ha ill take your Jordan rookie card!

Haha I only have one Jordan card and it ain’t a rookie card, best rookie card I have is maybe my Shaq one, this thread made me go through a heap of my old shit last night, kids weren’t impressed with my basketball cards but thought the board game hero quest I have looked pretty cool, might have a game with them this weekend but I’m also worried they might destroy it haha. I’ve kept it in perfect nick the last 30 years, the box is even in great condition, it was a big deal when my parents plumped up the $50 for that so I looked after it.
Also found my old issue one teenage mutant ninja turtles comic book, sadly it’s a reprint so wouldn’t be worth anything but my kids can keep there grubby hands off that also haha

Latest posts