What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rob Burrow - sad news

Perth Red

Post Whore
Very sad to read. Tough journey ahead for them. Burrows was like Preston Campbell, too small formRL but heart that more than made up for it.

gUt

Coach
My family is dealing with this merkin of a disease too. So young, all sympathy to him.

Fangs

Coach
Absolutely terrible news. Finished off a great to career and now has to battle this while raising his family.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just watched the BBC interview, sht that's sad. Fans have already raised over $90k for his family.

deluded pom?

Coach
It's up over $100k in less than 24hours

Gutted for the Lad,his interview is a tough watch :(
Agree ‘spud. Either the MND has gripped him sooner than expected or he’s known for a while. Whatever, it’s gutting for a guy who always gave his all, usually against much bigger opponents. Best of luck Rob to you and yours.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/1062...elping-rob-burrow-motor-neurone-rugby-league/

WAYNE Rooney and Gareth Southgate are the latest names in line to help Rob Burrow in the fight of his life.

The Leeds legend’s shock diagnosis of motor neurone disease has rocked both the club and the whole sport of rugby league.

Rooney is a big Rhinos fan and joined up with the team, including Burrows, in 2012
Fans and other sides have donated a whopping £193,000 to a fund set up to help the 37-year-old and his family through his treatment.

Now it is understood Rhinos fan Rooney has been in touch over how he can help and the club is in contact with England football boss Southgate.

England cricket star Jonny Bairstow auctioned off his shirt for the Rob Burrow Fund while Oliver Gildart has put his Great Britain rugby league shirt up.

Leeds United yesterday wore T-shirts backing Burrow while warming up before their Championship match against Preston and midfielder Liam Cooper is raffling off the shirt he wore at Fulham.

Burrow was at Leeds’ match against neighbours Wakefield, which the Rhinos won easily 30-4, with new skipper Stevie Ward touching down.

Cameron Smith, Konrad Hurrell, Alex Sutcliffe, Harry Newman and Brad Dwyer also scored but boss Richard Agar has been more impressed by the way things have gone off the field - including a surprise visit to his father Alan.

I’ve had different clubs and pubs phoning me up – people with no connection to Leeds Rhinos, just genuinely good people wanting to contribute.

Richard Agar
He said: “A bloke knocked on my dad's door on Christmas Eve, a complete stranger, and asked him to pass on £150 collected for Rob in a local pub.

“Some of the things I’ve seen and witnessed over the last week. I’ve had different clubs and pubs phoning me up – people with no connection to Leeds Rhinos, just genuinely good people wanting to contribute.

“There’s probably better people at the club to talk about collective spirit as they’ve had a generation of being together, I’ve only worked with Rob for the past 18 months.

“He’d definitely been a focal point and there was a lot of upset when the news broke but we hope it has a galvanising effect.

“But the response has been overwhelming.”

Wakefield, whose only points came from Lee Kershaw’s try, may be without George King for the start of the season after being stretchered off amid fears he broke his ankle.

Coach Chris Chester said: "It doesn’t look great. It is an ankle issue.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Fox League are showing the Leeds v Bradford game live at 2am AEST on Monday. (also 1 hour replays at 11:30 AEST & 18:30 AEST). So if you want the full game, just IQ it if you can't watch it live.

Funds raised will go towards supporting Leeds legend Rob Burrow, who was diagnosed with motor neurone disease before Christmas.

Jamie Jones-Buchanan, who will play his last-ever game, has agreed to share the testimonial match with his good friend Burrow following the announcement of his MND diagnosis.

From https://www.loverugbyleague.com/pos...gainst-bradford-in-aid-of-jjb-and-rob-burrow/

Perth Red

Post Whore
Couple more

Skysports and Rhinos come together to send Rob and his family to the Superbowl
https://www.skysports.com/rugby-lea...rise-a-special-moment-for-leeds-rhinos-legend

So when the news broke last month and I spoke with his former team-mate and current Leeds Rhinos Director of Rugby, Kevin Sinfield, it was Kevin who first asked if there was any way we could get Rob and his family to the Super Bowl. To this end, all credit must go to the NFL and NFL UK. These tickets are like gold dust - already at least $5000 on the secondary market, per ticket! However, following a few calls and a number of conversations, this is one of the best examples of how the sporting family comes together. Last week, the NFL informed us they had two tickets. Leeds would get Rob to Miami and arrange accommodation. All that was left now was to tell him.

Hull RL fans raising money with a walk
https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rob-burrow-hull-leeds-walk-3719879
A group of rugby league fans will walk from Hull to Leeds on the opening weekend of the Super League season to raise money for the fund established to support Rob Burrow and his young family. Burrow was diagnosed with motor neurone disease in December and the rugby league world has rallied around the former Leeds Rhinos half-back.

Harrigan

Juniors
The game against the Bulls sold out on Tuesday too, 5 days in advance.

20,000 for a trial game First sell out at Headingley since the 2016 WCC I believe too. These games typically get 6 or 7k in attendance.

Shows just what a standing in the game he had and how much fans across the board love and appreciate him. It'll be an emotional occasion.

Big shout out to sky and their employees too. All Sundays production is being done for free. All time and equipment is donated.

Burrow, McGuire, Sinfield, Peacock, JJB and Leuluai are all coming on late in the game to play out the match. It'll be good to see them all on the field together one last time for such a good cause

Inkers75

Juniors
Great effort for a friendly match. I was too late in getting a ticket so will watch on tv.

20,000 for a trial game First sell out at Headingley since the 2016 WCC I believe too. These games typically get 6 or 7k in attendance.

Shows just what a standing in the game he had and how much fans across the board love and appreciate him. It'll be an emotional occasion.

Big shout out to sky and their employees too. All Sundays production is being done for free. All time and equipment is donated.

Burrow, McGuire, Sinfield, Peacock, JJB and Leuluai are all coming on late in the game to play out the match. It'll be good to see them all on the field together one last time for such a good cause

Inkers75

Juniors
Great effort for a friendly match. I was too late in getting a ticket so will watch on tv.

Latest posts