What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanagan Confirmed.

KiamaSaint

Coach
"Every team has its challenges and the Dragons definitely do. We've got an outstanding forward pack that can hold its gloves up against most football teams. We've got two representative halves, we're going to have a young fullback in there more than likely and we've got some young outside backs," he said.

-------

For me he sounds concerned about our backline

Does anyone else sense he is flagging, in particular, his concern about FB ?

This was the most pleasing aspect of the interview. My take on that comment:

Premiership challenging forwards - tick
Premiership challenging halves - tick
Premiership challenging fullback - young and talented but will come good
Premiership challenging outside backs - yeah, nah... they are the issue. They need to have a good year for the Dragons to have a good year.

This Year?

Immortal
Harsh..whats wrong with the hat on him?...all the Americanised baseball hats we use as hats these days look crap.
Yeah have to agree on those american hats, they look horrible too. Our hat looks like a swans hat with our logo put on it. I was also harsh when Bennett came too....

getsmarty

Immortal
flanagans-dsc_0821.jpg

DRAGONS

Refreshed Flanagan boosted by chat with Maguire
Author
Troy Whittaker NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Thu 9 Jan 2020, 07:17 PM

New Dragons assistant coach Shane Flanagan believes being forced to miss last season will only make him stronger after talking to Wests Tigers mentor Michael Maguire about successfully returning to the game.

Fronting the media in St George Illawarra colours for the first time on Thursday, the premiership-winning ex-Sharks mentor reiterated that he is happy to play second-fiddle to head coach Paul McGregor, who he commended for putting the club's interests first in appointing him.

Flanagan is adamant his time away from the game due to being suspended will prove beneficial. Maguire, who fell just short of the finals, and Manly coach Des Hasler, whose team reached the second week of the playoffs, didn't skip a beat in their comebacks last year.

"I spoke to Michael Maguire about it. He won a competition [in 2014] and then spent [a year] out of the game," Flanagan said, referring to Maguire missing the 2018 season after parting ways with South Sydney.

"It gave him a good opportunity to freshen up ... Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer not to have had what's happened and have a break.

"But it has happened and I've freshened up, looked at it from another angle and I've got an opportunity now at a different club to learn different structures and systems and I'm looking forward to that."

remote.axd

Five key match-ups of the Dragons' 2020 draw

Five key match-ups of the Dragons' 2020 draw

While he wants to land another head coaching gig down the track if the NRL permits it, Flanagan said in the meantime it will be nice not to have the "24/7" commitments the top job entails.

Flanagan also defended McGregor, who is facing intense scrutiny after last year's shambolic 15th-place finish.

"From what I've seen it's probably been a little bit unwarranted, he's working really hard ... He's put his hand up and said, 'I need help, I want help'," Flanagan said.

"In the end it's about winning footy games and hopefully this year is a lot easier than it was last year for him."

The 54-year-old said strengthening the Dragons' defence after they leaked the second most points in the league last season was one of his main objectives.

Cronulla were renowned for their tenacity and grit under Flanagan's watch and he intends to ingrain the same aggressive defensive mentality into the Red V.

Meanwhile, the Dragons have announced they will join forces with NBL team Illawarra Hawks and NPL outfit Wollongong Wolves for a bushfire appeal golf day on Monday, February 3.

The club will also visit the Shoalhaven region, Batemans Bay, Narooma, Moruya and surrounding areas on January 28 and 29 for an open training session and to get amongst those doing it tough, while centre Euan Aitken is auctioning off a signed Anzac Day jersey.

"I know a few other players have asked the question to the club, could they get money taken directly out of their pay, and they're going to put towards [the cause] as well," McGregor said.

"For us three codes [rugby league, basketball, soccer] and brands to get together and really push an important fundraising opportunity, to go and get out in the community and use our profiles for something very positive, is extremely important to this club."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/01/10/refreshed-flanagan-boosted-by-chat-with-maguire/

BLM01

First Grade
Lets be frank...Mary did not put the clubs interest first..he put his own to save his job after GUS told him and recommended to him amd the club that they do it if they want any form of improvement.
It is too late Mary....you wont be able to get rid of Flanno as an assitant this time round as he has the runs all over you like calamine lotion just waiiting...for you to stuff up..again!

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Lets be frank...Mary did not put the clubs interest first..he put his own to save his job after GUS told him and recommended to him amd the club that they do it if they want any form of improvement.
It is too late Mary....you wont be able to get rid of Flanno as an assitant this time round as he has the runs all over you like calamine lotion just waiiting...for you to stuff up..again!
Under the current arrangements:
Flanagan, who is contracted as an assistant until the end of 2020, cannot be employed as a head coach until 2022. So if Mary is sacked in 2020, it will be Shepherd or Dean Young who will be the interim head coach. Only some successful lobbying by our new CEO may convince the NRL to give Flanagan an early release from these constrains - on 'good behaviour'.

Gareth67

First Grade
In my playing days outside backs were centres and wingers. Although I do remember the positional names of inside centre and outside centre.

Would you believe I still have my E grade Jersey from the early 60’s . In those days a type of plastic was used for the numbers and also the front of the jersey .

I played for a club by the name of Denistone in the Eastwood/Ryde area which was in the Balmain junior competition and our Jersey was basically the same as the Saints with the exception of a red ‘ D’ where the Dragon emblem was .

I must had been about 15 or 16 at the time , oh my how quickly the years have passed .

Back to Flanagan , you are right about him being able to improve Lomax’s game , particularly his defense. I believe that once his ‘ D’ has improved so will his all round game . In fact he will probably be able to take Duffy under his wing as well and with the result being a more confident player . Let’s hope that Mary keeps out of the way and allows the man to do his job - as an assistant coach.

Last edited:

jak

Bench
I doubt he will have to wait to long

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Really interesting interview. Wouldn't get pigeonholed as purely defense so his involvement will be as we all thought and hoped ( sudo head coach ! )

Looks like the outside backs will be spending extra time to sort their defensive roles.Wonder how Flanagan will react when Mcf**ker keeps picking non performing outside backs , it will be carnage !!

Lafai & Atiken pick themselves.
Star talent needn’t listen to an assistant.
With Lafai up for contract renewal, he’ll be in peak form until he re-signs.
Management should stall and hold off his extension until the off season.
He may make Origin if we’re lucky!

Dragonsamy

Bench
If someone told me that a premiership winning Cronulla coach would be on our coaching staff I would have laughed like a maniac.

I don't think it's funny now though!

PS He looks terrible in our colours and that hat looks f**king dopey.

This Year
I would have done the same if someone had told me The Sharks would play more home games in the next two seasons at Kogarah then we would. Unfortunately that is the case