What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Membership

Saint Doc

Coach

it seems like there is a glitch in the matrix.

I saw this tweet today, claiming (among other things) that the dragons had almost 21k members.

I was flabbergasted thinking there is no way we have eclipsed our record off the back of Mary/15th place etc

but the numbers are correct (as per nrl.com and dragons.com.au )

https://www.nrl.com/membership/

clearly an error- as I note these are our final 2019 figures (same with a few other clubs) but I don’t really understand how mistakes like this happen!

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

I saw this tweet today, claiming (among other things) that the dragons had almost 21k members.

I was flabbergasted thinking there is no way we have eclipsed our record off the back of Mary/15th place etc

clearly an error- as I note these are our final 2019 figures (same with a few other clubs) but I don’t really understand how mistakes like this happen!
As you'll see in the replies to that tweet, we've addressed this, despite people continuing to take it as fact, the graphic persists. We understand that one of the merchandise stores in QLD saw the figures on the NRL site and thought it would make good off-season content for their social media accounts.

Essentially, the issue is fairly simple - a handful of clubs are yet to submit any 2020 numbers to the NRL (namely Brisbane, Cronulla, Gold Coast, St Geo Illa and Wests Tigers).

As a result, their figures are their final 2019 figures because for whatever reason, the NRL hasn't wiped out last years.

The Dragons reported at the end of November they had 10,000 members to that date - which interestingly enough they seem to do every year around the same time. Anyway, that's the only figure the Dragons have supplied. The other clubs haven't supplied any.

Perth Red

Post Whore

this is what you get when you put the college trainee in charge of your social media lol

beave

Coach
NQ still very disappointing. The trial games should harvest a few members and we always seem to finish the season at about 20-21k from memory. There is still a large faction of idiots that are not happy about the new stadium and the fact it’s in the cbd and not in the burbs and the now lack of a hill.........

i love my home people but they shit me to tears at times.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
this is what you get when you put the college trainee in charge of your social media lol
Eh?

This has nothing to do with the NRL's social media, it's simply that several clubs haven't submitted numbers to the NRL's website.

Canard

Immortal
NQ still very disappointing. The trial games should harvest a few members and we always seem to finish the season at about 20-21k from memory. There is still a large faction of idiots that are not happy about the new stadium and the fact it’s in the cbd and not in the burbs and the now lack of a hill.........

i love my home people but they shit me to tears at times.

I wonder if new stadium is delaying the finalisation of memberships? People sorting out there new package, seats etc?

I know that the away memberships didn't automatically "roll over" this time, and you have to ring them to sort it out.

beave

Coach
I wonder if new stadium is delaying the finalisation of memberships? People sorting out there new package, seats etc?

I know that the away memberships didn't automatically "roll over" this time, and you have to ring them to sort it out.

i’m an away member and mine rolled over automatically mate hey.

beave

Coach
They said mine was delayed, because I had to choose the game I wanted to attend???

ah, see I’m a non ticketed away member, might be why.

I hate the seats the club get given by the home team. I just get my own when the boys are in SEQLD.

Canard

Immortal
ah, see I’m a non ticketed away member, might be why.

I hate the seats the club get given by the home team. I just get my own when the boys are in SEQLD.

Same here, I'm not going to take some shitty GA tickets.

taipan

Referee
Incredibly disappointing numbers

when will clubs and the NRL wake up

I agree the numbers ATM are disappointing.I suggest what has gone on with drought and bushfires in regional areas, money being donated by people in cities etc has had a decent impact.
If people have lost a house or business or farm, the last thing on their minds would be getting a membership.Wondering what happens next and the future is first and foremost in their thoughts.
If overall membership levels are about the same or a bit less than 2019, in view of the current disasters and the economy ,that IMO would be a pass mark.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Incredibly disappointing numbers

when will clubs and the NRL wake up
Without having those remaining four clubs submitting numbers, it's really quite hard to know whether the numbers are disappointing.

As an example - I've bumped last year's 'on this day' total to 217,551, which is actual + 5k for the Titans and 13k for Penrith, neither of whom were listing their figures this time last year.

To get a similar total for all 16 clubs this year, I've used the 'on this day' figure from last year for the three that did have one (Broncos, Sharks and WT) and given the Titans 5k again. 221,359 is where we land, which is slightly ahead.

We could probably deduct 2k from that to allow for some teams being down a bit but even then we're still ahead of same time last year.

Certainly agree growth could be better but unless the four non-reporting clubs are really down on numbers I think we're roughly the same.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We plateaued last year and heading the same. I guess the NRL pulling out its direct investment in membership growth and giving the clubs the money instead is one reason, most NRL clubs are notoriously bad at growing fanbases.