What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

BLM01

First Grade
Good to see our St George Illawarra Dragons media who works in overdrive welcome Shepherd & Flanagan with a interview...who have actually been at our club for a while.
In fact none of the assistant or lower grade coaches have got a mention or interview thus far for the coming season which is highly unusual about the year coming...but not surprising with this mob.
We are quick of the mark to welcome CC or reserve grade players to the club.
I just dont get the lack of some of the behind the scenes and informal stuff instead of the formal brief interviews with standard prearranged fluff questions.
Leave that boring BS stuff to the usual NRL and broadcaster media mob.

getsmarty

Immortal
saab.jpg

NSWRL NEWS

Jason Saab primed for big 2020
Author
Tom Gibbs
Timestamp
Wed 8 Jan 2020, 08:00 AM

After representing NSW at under-18 and under-20 level as well as the prestigious Australian Schoolboys, Jason Saab was destined for a first-grade start.

That is exactly what he achieved in his Round 19 this season, at just 18 years of age, as the St George Illawarra Dragons took on premiership heavyweights South Sydney at ANZ Stadium. Saab scored twice in that match, the first Dragon to do so on debut since 2011, and went on to make two more appearances for the Red V in 2019.

Following such a great start to his first-grade career so far, there is little doubt that we will see plenty more of Jason Saab in 2020 and for years to come in the national competition. From this year’s three-game stint in the NRL, Saab left no stone unturned to come up with three tries, one line-break, four tackle-breaks, three offloads and 258 run metres.

In a crucial off-season of retention at the Dragons with the re-signings of Zac Lomax and Tristan Sailor, Saab is also locked in until at least the end of 2022 in a youthful and vastly skilled squad that is shaping up to take the club well into the future.

To cap off a superb 12 months of achievements for the promising winger, Saab was named as one of 16 Future Blues in Brad Fittler’s 64-man squad of NSW players who attended a two-day camp in December.

Going into next season, the now 19-year-old Saab will be looking to earn his second NSW under-20s cap and add to his handful of NRL starts for St George Illawarra.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/01/08/jason-saab-primed-for-big-season/

getsmarty

Immortal
generic_story_screens2.jpeg

COMMUNITY

Dragons announce bushfire response initiatives
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 8 Jan 2020, 03:57 PM

The St George Illawarra Dragons have been deeply saddened by the bushfires that have impacted Australia in recent weeks.

With the south coast of New South Wales heavily affected by these devastating events, the Dragons have announced a number of events planned to bring both relief and funds to several communities in need within the club's catchment area.

The Dragons will head to the Shoalhaven region, Batemans Bay, Narooma, Moruya and surrounding areas on Tuesday, January 28 and Wednesday, January 29 to conduct an open training session and a number of community activations. Details for these activities will be communicated in due course.

The Dragons have also joined forces with the Illawarra Hawks and Wollongong Wolves for a first of its kind Illawarra combined codes bushfire appeal golf day, scheduled for Monday, February 3.

Click here for full details on the Illawarra codes combined bushfire appeal golf day

The Dragons, in collaboration with the NRL's Bushfire Appeal Round, are also aiming to raise funds for the Salvation Army Disaster Relief Appeal at their Round 1 clash against Wests Tigers on Sunday, March 15.

Both Dragons premier partners WIN Corporation and St George Leagues Club have committed their support to all of the club's bushfire response initiatives.

"The past few weeks have been distressing for many families across Australia and our heart goes out to everyone who have been impacted by the bushfires," Dragons CEO Brian Johnston said.

"We hope that these initiatives will in some way bring relief to those who have suffered through these harrowing times as well as help provide much-needed funds."

St George Illawarra centre Euan Aitken has kindly put his game-worn 2018 Anzac Day jersey up for auction to help raise further funds – click to bid on Euan's jersey here.

The Dragons are also currently investigating community relief avenues in the Central West of New South Wales ahead of the club's annual Charity Shield clash against the South Sydney Rabbitohs at Mudgee's Glen Willow Stadium on Saturday, February 29.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/01/08/dragons-announce-bushfire-response-initiatives/

getsmarty

Immortal
bushfire_appeal_2020_l.jpg

COMMUNITY

Illawarra codes combine for bushfire appeal golf day
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 8 Jan 2020, 03:57 PM

The St George Illawarra Dragons, Wollongong Wolves and Illawarra Hawks have joined forces to announce a first of its kind Illawarra combined codes bushfire appeal golf day.

Players and coaches from the Dragons, Hawks and Wolves will convene on Monday, February 3 at Wollongong Golf Club to help raise funds for the NSW Rural Fire Service, Salvation Army Disaster Relief Appeal and Australian Wildlife Rescue (WIRES) following the recent bushfires that have devastated Australian communities.

Entry for a four-man Ambrose team is $2000 and includes an afternoon of golf, cart hire, food and beverage package as well as a post-presentation event and the chance to mingle with all your favourite players across the three different codes that represent the Illawarra. Each of the 18 holes are also available to be sponsored at a cost of $1000.

Spots for the day are extremely limited, with all queries and purchases available by emailing partnerships@dragons.com.au or partnerships@hawks.com.au.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor hailed the bushfire appeal golf day as a unique and significant opportunity to raise funds for several special causes.

"The codes combined bushfire appeal golf day is one of several causes the Dragons have chosen to back in response to the horrific fires that have overwhelmed the country," McGregor said.

"The chance to see your favourite players across Illawarra's three main codes on the one day is an opportunity that cannot be missed, all in name of a very good cause."

Hawks coach Matt Flinn gave a personal affirmation to the bushfire appeal golf day.

"This is an exciting event that all three sporting clubs are collaborating on," Flinn said.

"I've been personally affected, with family members caught up in the bushfires, as have many of our members and supporters within the south coast region, so this is a way in which we can help unite our community and raise funds for a terrific cause."

Wolves coach and former Socceroo Luke Wilkshire echoed his fellow coach's sentiments regarding the recent bushfire devastation.

"As far as sport in the Illawarra region goes, it is great that we can support each other and work collectively," Wilkshire said.

"To showcase a strong, positive message by bringing our different sporting identities together as one for a great cause is very important."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/01/08/illawarra-codes-combine-for-bushfire-appeal-golf-day/

BLM01

First Grade
"I'm loving being back" - Shane Flanagan
Dragons assistant coach Shane Flanagan speaks to the media for the first time since joining the Dragons. The former premiership-winning coach addresses his role at the Dragons, first impressions, and what he hopes to achieve at the club.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/01/09/im-loving-being-back---shane-flanagan/
Love the video....you just may be watching our new head coach.
Very coy in his responses and started well before XMAS (he said few weeks...oops should of he said that..18th Dec Shane remember the NRL are listening) and he is not their for just defence as he explained.
Mary "go sit in your corner, watch and learn".
It is clear to me Mary will still be responsible for final game plan and team selection..but he will be given all the ammunition and advice to who is best for the team and where and to take on the opponents but will still stuff all that up!...Good...bye bye..
Enter Shane head coach...Shep..assistant..or other way road ;)...until at least 2021 where the Commission will agree to weaken the NRL stance on him and may let him be HC next year

getsmarty

Immortal
Flanagan embracing fresh Dragons challenge after forced hiatus
Dragons Den
r0_0_4496_2997_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

BACK IN BUSINESS: Shane Flanagan at Dragons training. Picture: Dragons Media

NEW Dragons assistant coach Shane Flanagan knows a thing or two about scrutiny. From premiership-winning highs to career-threatening suspensions, he's spent his fair share of time under the rugby league microscope.

Still, even through the tumult of his time as an NRL head coach, Flanagan can't recall a coach more ruthlessly scrutinised than his new boss Paul McGregor.

Despite being contracted until the end of 2021, McGregor will enter his sixth season under a mountain of pressure after a 15th-placed finish to 2019.

It's prompted changes that saw Flanagan added to McGregor's staff for 2020, a process that's been an eye-opener for the former Sharks coach.

"What I have noticed over the last four-five months since I've known I was going to be taking this role is the pressure that Paul's under as a coach," Flanagan said.

"He's probably under more pressure, personally, than any coach. From what I've seen I feel it's a bit unwarranted. He's working really hard and I think he's got to be given some credit for employing me.

"I've been a head coach, I've won a competition, he could've gone out and got some other coach but, to his credit, he said 'this needs to happen'.

"He's made a decision he feels is in the best interests of the club. Criticism's tough but, in the end, it's about winning footy games. Hopefully this year it's a lot easier than it was last year for him."

It's what Flanagan has been appointed to do after he was cleared to return to the NRL coaching ranks as an assistant in September last year.

It ends a year away from the game after he was de-registered by the NRL for breaching the terms of his 2014 suspension stemming from the Sharks supplements saga.

It was an unquestionably tough time, but Flanagan said a year out of the coaching bubble leaves him feeling fresh ahead of his next challenge.

"It was disappointing, especially the recent [suspension]," Flanagan said.

"Back in 2012 I was suspended over governance, [for] not supervising someone. From a coach's perspective it was something I didn't handle really well.

"More recently to be suspended for communicating with my employer was tough. I understand it, but it was tough. These are the cards we're dealt and I'm quite comfortable with it.

"I spoke to Michael Maguire about it, he won a competition and then he spent two years out of the game. He's come back with Wests Tigers and it gave him the opportunity to freshen up.

"I'd obviously prefer what's happened didn't happen but it has and I've used it to freshen up. I've had a fair while to think about it and I'm looking forward to the new challenge."

That challenge will primarily rest in injecting some defensive steel into the Dragons defence, something that marked his time in charge of the famously gritty Sharks.

"That'll be my first focus, to get some systems and structures in place right across the squad in all different parts of the field and situations," Flanagan said.

"The way I've coached my footy teams is to be aggressive, especially defensively. You've probably seen over the past couple of years with the Sharks.

"They've always been really tough defensive teams so hopefully I can bring some of that to the Dragons."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-fresh-dragons-challenge-after-forced-hiatus/

getsmarty

Immortal
Shane Flanagan eyes fresh start as St George Illawarra Dragons assistant coach
  • Local Sport
    r945_71_5020_2221_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Changing colours: Shane Flanagan coaching Cronulla during pre-season in November, 2018. Picture: John Veage

• Shane Flanagan has not hidden his desire to return to the NRL as a head coach but emphasised he was fully committed to working under Paul McGregor.

The former Sharks premiership-winning coach has joined Cronulla's bitter local rivals St George Illawarra on a one-year deal as McGregor's assistant coach following the lifting of his suspension.

The NRL announced in September that Flanagan would not be allowed to return to a head coaching role in the NRL until 2022 at the earliest.

Flanagan met with NRL CEO Todd Greenberg where a path to return to a head coaching role was laid out, with the governing body allowing Flanagan to become an assistant coach this season.

That opened the door for Flanagan to join St George Illawarra.

The Dragons suffered through a dismal 2019 campaign, prompting a football department review.

The review, conducted in part by respected administrator and former premiership and State of Origin-winning coach Phil Gould, concluded with a number of key personnel and structural changes.

Flanagan spoke publicly for the first time wearing Dragons colours in Wollongong on Thursday and said he didn't watch much rugby league while he was suspended, except for following his son Kyle's progress at Cronulla. He watched footy more as a parent and a fan, far less than an NRL coach would.

r0_272_5315_3272_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Fresh start: Sharks premiership-winning coach Shane Flanagan is back in the NRL as an assistant coach at St George Illawarra. Picture: John Veage

He acknowledged he will need to bite his tongue at times in the coach's box alongside McGregor but made it clear he wanted to respect his role at the Dragons.

"[The team's defence will be] my main focus but I'll help Mary in all aspects of the footy club and the coaching. But my first, main focus is concentrating on the defensive aspect of the team and where I can help Mary with other aspects of our attack," he said.

"I'm enjoying it. It's early days. I've got a good relationship with Paul and the rest of the staff.

"Life throws up a lot of different challenges and I've just got to deal with this one.

" 100 per cent [want to be a head coach again]. That's what I want to do, when and where that opportunity comes time will tell. But that's what I feel I do for a profession and at some point I'll be back."

While Flanagan has traded the black, white and blue for the red V, he is still held in high regard in the shire having led Cronulla to their historic maiden premiership in 2016.

Flanagan resigned from his role as Cronulla head coach in January last year. The NRL deregistered Flanagan in December, 2018 and fined the Sharks $800,000 after the governing body found he had breached the terms of his 12-month suspension in 2014 for his role in the club's peptides scandal due to his communications with the club that year.

That fine was later reduced to $500,000 because of the club's eventual acceptance and acknowledgement of their wrongdoing.

Flanagan, who was named coach of Cronulla's team of the half century, said at the time the decision to resign had been one of the toughest of his 36-year career in rugby league.

r0_348_4896_3112_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Picture: Chris Lane

"This is what I do for a profession. I've done it all my life. Not being able to get up in the morning and go and do what you love doing in being around footy players and a footy club, when you've done it all your life and you can't do it it hurts," he said.

"It was a tough 12 months or so but it's behind me now and I'm going to make sure this year is really enjoyable [and I'll] work really hard. And from what I've seen at the moment this club is working really hard to make a change and I'm glad to be part of it.

"We've got to remember the reason I was off was for something that happened in 2012. I've changed in '15, '16, '17, '18, '19, this was something that happened a long, long time ago. I paid the price for it last year. I changed after that, the change has already happened a long time ago.

"My coaching is not going to change. I think I've got the runs on the board over those periods. Every side I've coached has been in the semi-finals, I've won a grand final. That's not the issue. Why I was suspended was a long, long time ago."

Flanagan made it clear he never considered coaching overseas and remained committed to what he called "unfinished business" in the NRL.

At the top of that list is leading another club to a premiership. And he believes the Dragons are well placed to improve on their poor 2019 season.

"Every team has its challenges and the Dragons definitely do. We've got an outstanding forward pack that can hold its gloves up against most football teams. We've got two representative halves, we're going to have a young fullback in there more than likely and we've got some young outside backs," he said.

"I feel we just need some of those outside backs to stand up and have a good year and the Dragons will have a good year. If things keep going the way they're going at the moment the Dragons will have a good year.

"It's like when players change clubs. There's always that little burning desire to do well against your other club. I love Cronulla, I love the players, I love the supporters, it's a fantastic club but once we play against them it'll be interesting. Same with the Roosters, I've got to deal with coaching against my son there so that'll be interesting as well. But they're all challenges and something I'm looking forward to.

"I just need to get a feel for the place, the coaches and especially the players. It'll take a bit of time but I'm getting there. But I'm really enjoying it.

"From what I've seen so far, I can't comment too much on what went on here last year, but what I'm seeing at the moment is really impressive from the staff right through to all the players. They're really having a go, I'm not quite sure what the changes are [from last year] but I definitely know they're working hard and in a good place at the moment."

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/...ths-flanagan-eyes-fresh-start-as-dragons-no2/

getsmarty

Immortal
Shane Flanagan hopes Dragons opportunity can be a springboard to a possible head coach return
Dragons
d3a6128e4b3484a5e1b7ffb48ac28e42

Shane Flanagan at Dragons trainingSource: FOX SPORTS
New Dragons assistant coach Shane Flanagan says he’s paid the price for his role in the Sharks’ supplement scandal and now wants to move forward with the Red V before possibly returning to a head coaching role.

Flanagan joins Paul McGregor’s coaching start for the 2020 season after having his deregistration lifted.

760123_640x360_large_20200109143228.jpg

Flanno opens up on Dragons

The premiership-winning coach returns from an indefinite ban for breaking the conditions of his 2014 suspension which stemmed from the Sharks’ supplement scandal.

“It wasn’t good for me and my family,” said of the last year he has spent out of the game. “There’s a story there for another day, but it was a tough period, I will leave it at that.

“I’m enjoying it [the assistant role], I have a good relationship with Paul and the rest of the coaching staff.

“You can come to training, do your work and then go home and that’s it for the day. “It’s a little bit different when you’re the head coach which is a 24/7 job.”

Asked if his long term aim was to return to being the head coach of an NRL side, Flanagan said: “100 per cent that’s what I want to do. When and where that opportunity comes, time will tell.

“That’s what I feel I do for a profession and at some point I’ll be back.”

The ex-Sharks coach was asked if he was a changed character following his deregistration and he added: “We’ve got to remember that the reason was off was for something that happened back in 2012. It’s something that happened a long time ago, and I paid the price for it last year.

“The change happened a long, long time ago. My coaching isn’t going to change I’ve got the runs on the board. Every side I’ve coached has been in the semi finals, I’ve won a grand final. That’s not the issue, why I was suspended was a long, long time ago.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/5f98c40c7cd8066597fd48048588a2f7

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra Dragons assistant coach Shane Flanagan hoping new role opens door for head coach return
Written By Liam O'Loughlin
@ljoloughlin

He spent a year out of the game and can't be a head coach again until 2022 - but St George Illawarra Dragons assistant Shane Flanagan is using this opportunity to open doors for the future.

Flanagan was suspended for breaking the conditions of his 2014 suspension which stemmed from the Cronulla Sharks’ supplement scandal and spent a tough 12 months out of the game.

But now he returns to the club where he started his playing career back in the 1980s in the Dragons - and is enjoying the new role despite it being different to what he was previously used to.

“There’s a story there for another day, but it was a tough period, I will leave it at that," he said.

“I’m enjoying it, I have a good relationship with Paul and the rest of the coaching staff here.

“You can come to training, do your work and then go home and that’s it for the day.

“It’s a little bit different when you’re the head coach which is a 24/7 job.”

Flanagan will work under embattled Dragons coach Paul McGregor, who enters the 2020 season as the competition's most under-pressure coach.

And while he can't take a head coach role for another two years, the time he spends here at the Dragons could provide him the opportunity to return to that position one day.

“100 per cent that’s what I want to do...when and where that opportunity comes, time will tell," he said.

“That’s what I feel I do for a profession and at some point I’ll be back.

“We’ve got to remember that the reason was off was for something that happened back in 2012. It’s something that happened a long time ago, and I paid the price for it last year.

“The change happened a long, long time ago. My coaching isn’t going to change I’ve got the runs on the board. Every side I’ve coached has been in the semi finals, I’ve won a grand final.

"That’s not the issue, why I was suspended was a long, long time ago.”

The Dragons will kick off their 2020 campaign against the Wests Tigers on Sunday March 15th at WIN Stadium, Wollongong.

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...tant-paul-mcgregor/13qtkdzip02xh1wgog3rdpzqeg

getsmarty

Immortal
flanagans-dsc_0821.jpg

DRAGONS

Refreshed Flanagan boosted by chat with Maguire
Author
Troy Whittaker NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Thu 9 Jan 2020, 07:17 PM

New Dragons assistant coach Shane Flanagan believes being forced to miss last season will only make him stronger after talking to Wests Tigers mentor Michael Maguire about successfully returning to the game.

Fronting the media in St George Illawarra colours for the first time on Thursday, the premiership-winning ex-Sharks mentor reiterated that he is happy to play second-fiddle to head coach Paul McGregor, who he commended for putting the club's interests first in appointing him.

Flanagan is adamant his time away from the game due to being suspended will prove beneficial. Maguire, who fell just short of the finals, and Manly coach Des Hasler, whose team reached the second week of the playoffs, didn't skip a beat in their comebacks last year.

"I spoke to Michael Maguire about it. He won a competition [in 2014] and then spent [a year] out of the game," Flanagan said, referring to Maguire missing the 2018 season after parting ways with South Sydney.

"It gave him a good opportunity to freshen up ... Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer not to have had what's happened and have a break.

"But it has happened and I've freshened up, looked at it from another angle and I've got an opportunity now at a different club to learn different structures and systems and I'm looking forward to that."

remote.axd

Five key match-ups of the Dragons' 2020 draw

Five key match-ups of the Dragons' 2020 draw

While he wants to land another head coaching gig down the track if the NRL permits it, Flanagan said in the meantime it will be nice not to have the "24/7" commitments the top job entails.

Flanagan also defended McGregor, who is facing intense scrutiny after last year's shambolic 15th-place finish.

"From what I've seen it's probably been a little bit unwarranted, he's working really hard ... He's put his hand up and said, 'I need help, I want help'," Flanagan said.

"In the end it's about winning footy games and hopefully this year is a lot easier than it was last year for him."

The 54-year-old said strengthening the Dragons' defence after they leaked the second most points in the league last season was one of his main objectives.

Cronulla were renowned for their tenacity and grit under Flanagan's watch and he intends to ingrain the same aggressive defensive mentality into the Red V.

Meanwhile, the Dragons have announced they will join forces with NBL team Illawarra Hawks and NPL outfit Wollongong Wolves for a bushfire appeal golf day on Monday, February 3.

The club will also visit the Shoalhaven region, Batemans Bay, Narooma, Moruya and surrounding areas on January 28 and 29 for an open training session and to get amongst those doing it tough, while centre Euan Aitken is auctioning off a signed Anzac Day jersey.

"I know a few other players have asked the question to the club, could they get money taken directly out of their pay, and they're going to put towards [the cause] as well," McGregor said.

"For us three codes [rugby league, basketball, soccer] and brands to get together and really push an important fundraising opportunity, to go and get out in the community and use our profiles for something very positive, is extremely important to this club."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/01/10/refreshed-flanagan-boosted-by-chat-with-maguire/

After 6 years mcgregor's put his hand up ,I need help I want help.......after 6 years anyone else with his record would have been out the door. What a joke who ever's responsible for him still being in charge .
We know who's responsible.
It's the logic and care for the club and fans that is a mystery.
So far from reality and yet here we are starting 2020 with McGregor still notionally in charge.
What a joke.

Last edited: