What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Victorian ever produce a player good enough to play for Australia?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not born and trained until the nrl gets serious about investing in grass roots and schools program in the State. It’s a simple numbers game, get five thousand kids playing the game, take the top 100 into an elite program, 20 of them will make nrl first grade, 1 or 2 of them will become a kangaroo,

there’s been 7 players born or developed in Victoria to make rep teams
Timana Tahu is from victoria and represented Australia so to answer the original post, yes.

Last edited:

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
lol, Tahu the Newy boy.

It is OK they can only produce a cricketer every twenty years or so, they do play that too.

Just shyte at it.

Sandgropers go better.

Hey I would love to see a Storm born and bred playing in the green and gold, I really would.

adamkungl

Immortal
Not born and trained until the nrl gets serious about investing in grass roots and schools program in the State. It’s a simple numbers game, get five thousand kids playing the game, take the top 100 into an elite program, 20 of them will make nrl first grade, 1 or 2 of them will become a kangaroo,

Timana Tahu is from victoria and represented Australia so to answer the original post, yes.

Partially true but I think even this is overly optimistic.

If there are 5000 victorians kids playing, I still think the standard would be lower than 5000 QLD kids, and thus less chance an elite player coming out of it.
There's decades of "football IQ" built up through generational coaching and viewing that simply doesn't exist yet.

For what it's worth though, the following first grade players played some junior football in Melbourne, asterisk for *all* their junior football.

Jeremy Smith
Gareth Widdop
Charze Niccol-Klokstad
Young Tonumaipea *
Richie Kennar *
Mahe Fonua *
Francis Tualau
Drury Low *
Denny Solomona (Super League and England RU)

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

Has this simple numbers game been proven?

T-Boon

Coach
When we implement my rule changes there will be several Victorian born players playing NRL within 2 years and a superstar or 2 within 5 years. You’ve got the T-Boon guarantee on that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There was a wrestler from Victoria called "Australian Suicide", now that's a catchy name lol

Latest posts