What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell (officially signs with Souths 13/1/20)

BranVan3000

Coach
Couldn't agree more in regards to Greenberg. Surely the NRL have to come out and publicly state the approved value of LM in relation to the cap. Pay him what you want but there must be a cap value greater (by 1 cent) than the amount his previous club (Chooks) were willing to upgrade him to. Otherwise everyone could sign a player to $5000k when his market value was $800k in order to sit within the cap.
Didnt Tedesco take a $700k sacrifice to play for Roosters?

unforgiven

Bench
Latrell Mitchell rejects South Sydney’s first offer, hopes to seal deal within days

Despite being highly impressed by South Sydney co-owner Russell Crowe’s pitch at a private dinner, Latrell Mitchell has knocked back South Sydney’s first official offer. SEE THE TABLED DEAL HERE.

James Phelps, The Daily Telegraph

Subscriber only

January 10, 2020 6:59pm

He got the Hollywood treatment but not cash.

Latrell Mitchell rejected the Rabbitohs offer after an evening with Russell Crowe was not enough to convince the star centre to accept a cut-price deal to join South Sydney.

Mitchell took just over an hour to knock back the Rabbitohs’ first official offer after the club tabled a deal worth $1.4m over two years.

Watch over 50 sports LIVE on Kayo! Stream to your TV, mobile, tablet or computer. Just $25/month, cancel anytime. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

A one-year deal with a one-year option in his favour, the written offer fell “well-short” of what Mitchell had been expecting following a $1.2m a year bid from the Wests Tigers.

The knock back came less than 24-hour after Mitchell travelled to Coffs Harbour with his father Matt for a private dinner with Crowe.

Wined and dined by the Academy Award winner on the 400-acre estate in Nana Glen, Mitchell was highly impressed by both Crowe and his pitch.

It is understood Crowe, a South Sydney co-owner, spoke about the Rabbitohs’ proud history before telling Mitchell he wanted him to be part of the club’s future.

While no financial figures or terms were discussed, Mitchell was ready to become a Rabbitoh when he left.

The meeting with Crowe came just a day after Mitchell finally sat down with Rabbitohs coach Wayne Bennett to discuss football.

But in yet another twist, Mitchell’s manager Matt Rose rejected the Rabbitohs on Friday morning after the club made their official offer.

Mitchell conceded his future remained undecided after confirming his meeting with Crowe.

“It was fantastic to meet Russell Crowe, he is a generous host and very passionate about the Rabbitohs but the truth is I’m yet to decide my future,” Mitchell said.

“I’ve got a number of things to weigh up and I hope to be able to announce my new club in the coming days.’’

Mitchell remains hopeful of coming to terms with the Rabbitohs after Rose made a counteroffer to the club on Friday night.

Asides from coming up with a revised deal, the Rabbitohs may also have to compensate the Roosters with claims the club is demanding as much as $100,000 for a release.
Excused from pre-season training earlier this week, Mitchell declared his career with the Roosters was over.

“Nothing has been made official yet,’’ Mitchell wrote in an Instagram post.

“But my stay at the Roosters as come to an end. On to the next chapter wherever it might be.’’

“Russell Crowe is a generous host and very passionate about the Rabbitohs but the truth is I’m yet to decide my future”

“I want to thank the Sydney Roosters for everything they have done for me and my family,’’ Mitchell wrote.

“I cannot describe the way I feel write know but just wanted to let everyone involved with my career so far that I am grateful to you all.

“To the fans, thankyou. It wouldn’t be a game without you.’’

The South Sydney rejection has left the door ajar for the Tigers to make an 11th hour play.

lol

wazdog

Juniors
This whole saga (Souths, Burgess,arrow, Mitchell) still doesn’t pass the sniff test to me. Shonky to the core.

* expedited medical retirement with zero salary cap ramifications
* contracted marquee player from minnow club manoeuvred into coming year early
* cash payment to player manager to ensure Souths get Mitchell. Surely that’s an inducement that is counted on the cap

the whole thing reeks of Greenberg’s duplicity, double standards and favouritism to certain clubs

No club should get away with what Souths have.

Didn't Mitchell change managers twice this year? It would be interesting to know who paid out his original manager.

This whole thing is a joke, he should just sign with the joke of a club the Tigpies. Politis has done everything he can for you guys to get him.