What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Squad Analysis

Crush

Coach
Some of these comments are based on players posters haven't even seen play ! Thank jebus our selectors aren't as trigger happy .
Everyones an expert you know that!
Forum posters teams are put together based on you tube videos and rumours.

Old Timer

Coach
Small fisted jersey grabber with ball skills let go for a large fisted jersey grabber with hole running skills. Tick

Junior rep hooker with smarts let go for ageing plodder with attitude. Tick

Former rep player from our club that left for greener pastures including ESL, no longer rep quality and returning to where he didn’t want to be. Tick

Hot on the trail of a player who previously broke his contract with us, has many off field issues, is a winger with ankle injuries and has piss poor attitude. Tick

Being coached by a complete gronk with a < 50% win rate, can’t coach youth, no idea how to use the bench, coming of our worst year ever and he has 2 full years to go on his contract. Tick

Can’t wait.

getsmarty

Immortal
Predicted line-ups for round 1
Author
Chris Kennedy NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 8 Jan 2020, 02:22 PM

Dragons
Zac Lomax has the inside running for the fullback role while the departure of Jonus Pearson leaves Jordan Pereira and young gun Tristan Sailor as the likely wingers with Jason Saab pushing them. Barring any developments with stood-down lock Jack De Belin, the returning Trent Merrin is likely to slot into his old No.13 jersey for the first time in five years. Recruit Issac Luke is a chance of a bench spot unless Paul McGregor opts for a four-forward bench.

1. Zac Lomax
  2. Tristan Sailor
  3. Euan Aitken
  4. Tim Lafai
  5. Jordan Pereira
  6. Corey Norman
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Paul Vaughan
  9. Cameron McInnes
  10. James Graham
  11. Tariq Sims
  12. Tyson Frizell
  13. Trent Merrin
  14. Korbin Sims
  15. Blake Lawrie
  16. Jackson Ford
  17. Issac Luke
remote.axd

Cameron McInnes in focus

Cameron McInnes in focus

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/06/predicted-line-ups-for-round-1/

SaintPeter

Juniors
So, South Sydney sign Jai Arrow and Lattrell Mitchel with a chance of both of them being on the park in 2020.
We sign, Trent Merrin and Isaac Luke!
Says it all really.

Sorry, just frustrated and worried about our squad for 2020.
Can see this year unfolding as an absolute disaster, which I guess might be good (in a way) to facilitate changes in management at the Dragons.

getsmarty

Immortal
So, South Sydney sign Jai Arrow and Lattrell Mitchel with a chance of both of them being on the park in 2020.
Says it all really.

Can see this year unfolding as an absolute disaster, which I guess might be good (in a way) to facilitate changes in management at the Dragons.

Won't change management, but new coach...Bring it on.

possm

Coach
Says it all really.

And Millward is doing a fine job; just as bad as Mary. I say give both of them the sack and bring some sanity back to the Dragons.

Dragonsamy

Bench
Thats actually very light for a man his height. Most other NRL backs are about 185-188 cm at that weight.
But he will fill out no doubt. I like Saab, he runs hard, I reckon he'll make it.

Correct crush
Daniel Tupuo is 195cm and 105kg
I think k Saab needs to be about 105kg as well

Dragonslayer

First Grade
And Millward is doing a fine job; just as bad as Mary. I say give both of them the sack and bring some sanity back to the Dragons.

I think we all have to reserve the right to say Millward is doing a good or bad job until after we have a coach. The reign of Mc85 has had such a negative impact on our club, to which sometimes i believe we'd be lucky to fill our roster. 2020 will see change both on and off the field.
The big question is: if, say flanno for arguements sake, can get this squad i to consistant finals football wouldnt (a) our current recriitement be considered satisfactory, and (b) would that then attract even better class of player, or even assist retaining our brightest stars?

BLM01

First Grade
I think we all have to reserve the right to say Millward is doing a good or bad job until after we have a coach. The reign of Mc85 has had such a negative impact on our club, to which sometimes i believe we'd be lucky to fill our roster. 2020 will see change both on and off the field.
The big question is: if, say flanno for arguements sake, can get this squad i to consistant finals football wouldnt (a) our current recriitement be considered satisfactory, and (b) would that then attract even better class of player, or even assist retaining our brightest stars?
(a) Yes
(b) Yes
(c) The scary thing is if Flanno does it whilst Mary is still here...Mary keeps his job!

LINESPEED

Juniors
(a) Yes
(b) Yes
(c) The scary thing is if Flanno does it whilst Mary is still here...Mary keeps his job!

Waterboy is as cunning as a sh*thouse rat.... as we used to say..
But if there’s marked improvement in defence, the players will attribute that to Flanno IMO.
I’d hazard a guess & say Flanno’s there mainly to improve Aitken’s defence - to keep Lomax at bay & protect his mate.
The centres have been identified by all & sundry as the. club’s Achilles heel in both attack & defence - and as a pair the stats identify them as the NRL’s worst performers.

Crazy simple maybe,

But as I’ve said before, their retention seems to be McGoner’s principal motivation in bench/ backline selection over many years - just ask Kurt Mann, who in his 7 game stint in the centres ranked 4h in the NRL in defence
Discarded nevertheless - go figure - and then ask Zac about rank favouritism.
I think Aitken cracked he top 30 (28th in tackle breaks as he palms running sideways) in one of about 15 NRL stat categories FFS

Last edited:

possm

Coach
We should never find ourselves in the position of having such an ordinary backline and yet no cap to sign one marque player for the back 5. As good backline players departed our ranks, who were on good coin, they were not replaced 'like for like or better' and for about the same coin as the depating player.

The standout errors are signing Aitken and Lafai long term and not replacing Dugan with a marquee fullback.

Norman and Hunt need professional one on one coaching support by someone like Cronk or Johns. To spend big bucks on our halves and then see them fail game after game is stupid.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
How sad it all is that we are supposedly strengthening our squad with other clubs cast offs.
Some people waxing lyrical about our chances with the signing of a couple of players whose services were no longer required.
Other clubs actually poach high quality players while we keep raking over the reject bin.
In amongst that training starts and the same old issues raise their head from the get go.
Long season coming up.