What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

I think the answer to your first question is quite simple. He always wanted to play for Souths. Besides our connections to the indigenous community I wouldn’t be able to tell you why, but I can take a guess.

-He’s turned down way better offers from clubs that were lower on the 2019 ladder because he knows he can create his own legacy at a club that has a solid roster and is a few signings away from being premiership material.
-The Roosters 2019 team is easily one of the best teams the NRL will see for a long time. Yes Rugby league is a team sport but as a individual player who wants to retire at 30 he probably wants to make an imprint on the game and lets be honest when you think of the roosters 2019 the first player that comes to mind is Cronk right? I can understand the under appreciation. He wants to be known for his own game. Surely you can appreciate that?
-Mitchell is really close with Walker and Roberts. I don’t believe he has the same friendships with any other players to the same level at any other team. They’re all extremely proud of their aboriginal heritage and Souths has a large indigenous following.

I see your concern but I also feel as if you’re not seeing how good he could be with the right guidance. He has the motivation and the talent which in my opinion is a rare combination. There’s no way he will feel under appreciated at Souths. He will be treated like the next Greg Inglis by Souths supporters. He’ll never get anything close to that by staying at the Roosters playing at left centre his whole career.

I respectfully disagree.

if he wanted to play for Souths, he could have before.

Indigenous players are all over the nrl. Pound for pound, they are over represented in the nrl compared to the number represented population wise. That’s fact. Many are friends first and happen to play for clubs. Not friends just by club links.

He could have made his mark at any nrl club. Many wonderful players never win premierships. Hindmarsh, Steve Rodgers, the miraculous Nathan Merrit who should have played in gf 2014 but didn’t even watch it. His treatment at Souths at that time was shameful.

He’s received more counselling and guidance than any other player in history and he’s still treating thousands of people like crap and playing the sulky victim. He is a loose cannon. He went missing at soo, the biggest stage on the nrl calendar.

Mentioning gi and latrell in the same breath...one is an absolute giant amongst players, an epoch defining player. An indigenous man that all people, black and white and purple admire and want to be like.

The other is a self centred young tool who has a good game when he feels like it. Don’t forget the roosters gave him weeks off to compose himself and he still abandoned them for his contract circus. Not a sniff of gratitude or thanks.

Gi never played in a game he didn’t want to give every f**king thing he had. He never let any footy fan down for a micro second in his entire career. The game actually had to change and adapt to cater for him. That’s why he will be an immortal.

One honours a spiritual native animal, reminds us of country, the other honours himself and his wallet.

Everyone is entitled to their own view but I think gi and latrell comparisons are the product of fancy and extreme optimism.

Tigers should pull out and you can offer him beer money. He needs to earn his right to wear either jumper. He’s a long way from either honours at market price.

If he gets injured ( and he will be hunted) that’s a salary cap misery you could well do without.

He treated us tigers and the roosters like shit and humiliated us.

Mark my words, you will get the same attitude in time.

Last edited:

assess5

Juniors
I respectfully disagree.

Indigenous players are all over the nrl. Pound for pound, they are over represented in the nrl compared to the number represented population wise. That’s fact. Many are friends first and happen to play for clubs. Not friends just by club links.

He could have made his mark at any nrl club. Many wonderful players never win premierships. Hindmarsh, Steve Rodgers, the miraculous Nathan Merrit who should have played in gf 2014 but didn’t even watch it. His treatment at Souths at that time was shameful.

He’s received more counselling and guidance than any other player in history and he’s still treating thousands of people like crap and playing the sulky victim. He is a loose cannon. He went missing at soo, the biggest stage on the nrl calendar.

Mentioning gi and latrell in the same breath...one is an absolute giant amongst players, an epoch defining player. An indigenous man that all people, black and white and purple admire and want to be like.

The other is a self centred young tool who has a good game when he feels like it. Don’t forget the roosters gave him weeks off to compose himself and he still abandoned them for his contract circus. Not a sniff of gratitude or thanks.

Gi never played in a game he didn’t want to give every f**king thing he had. He never let any footy fan down for a micro second in his entire career. The game actually had to change and adapt to cater for him. That’s why he will be an immortal.

One honours a spiritual native animal, reminds us of country, the other honours himself and his wallet.

Everyone is entitled to their own view but I think gi and latrell comparisons are the product of fancy and extreme optimism.

Tigers should pull out and you can offer him beer money. He needs to earn his right to wear either jumper. He’s a long way from either honours at market price.

If he gets injured ( and he will be hunted) that’s a salary cap misery you could well do without.

I agree absolutely with all you have said/written, seems like it comes from your heart, I offer my applause.

Peter Quinn

Juniors
anyone have any inside info on Latrell thats solid re: what the hecks going on?
Roosters want him to pay them $116,000 they claim he owes them, before they sign a release on his 2020 contract. They are just waiting time, they can't possibly win a law suite against him because a media release they made saying we want him gone by January 1 is as good as a sacking. I wouldn't worry about that at all. He will be training with Souths this week

NovoBunny94

Juniors
Roosters want him to pay them $116,000 they claim he owes them, before they sign a release on his 2020 contract. They are just waiting time, they can't possibly win a law suite against him because a media release they made saying we want him gone by January 1 is as good as a sacking. I wouldn't worry about that at all. He will be training with Souths this week

thanks Rabbits20 and Peter for that. I'll start getting excited!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I respectfully disagree.

Of course there are indigenous players all over the NRL but the indigenous community in Redfern/Waterloo is much more prominent than any other area I’ve ever seen.

It’s hard to talk about making their mark in the game but not winning a premiership. What do people say when you ask them about Hindmarsh? “The guy that never won a premiership”. Not the “second rower who gave everything for his club only to fall short”. Merritt is a different conversation.

As for receiving more counselling and guidance than any other player in the NRL I don’t really understand that argument. The roosters saw his talent and were willing to spend hours to help him harness it? It’s not Latrells fault the roosters didn’t want to play him at fullback? I personally didn’t see Cleary make an appearance in all 3 games but he was repeatedly selected.

The biggest problem that I find after reading your response is that you’re believing everything the media tells you. Latrell isn’t a bad kid. As far as I’m aware (I’m taking a guess here) he hasn’t been charged with any crime and is a Dad. He was helping his hometown fight fires when everyone else was sitting at their computers “praying” for them.

I love the way you talk about GI because I love GI as well but I’m not saying they’re on the same level I’m saying that Latrell could become as good as GI.

I do feel as if this response is also full of emotion. Tigers fans feel hurt because of how Latrell didn’t even give them a second thought. Yes I agree that sucks but have you guys ever thought maybe he doesn’t want to play under a coach like Maguire?

Roosters fans feel hurt because they didn’t get their way for once. To be completely honest I feel zero sympathy for them. They’ve had the best two years that any NRL club will experience in probably our lifetime.

I do appreciate your response Silverdale but i can just tell it’s full of emotion and I’m not talking emotionally I’m trying to talk logically about why he would be the best fit at Souths.

F0F7D12D-8B59-46F8-B94B-5865B0D7D8C3.jpeg
Of course there are indigenous players all over the NRL but the indigenous community in Redfern/Waterloo is much more prominent than any other area I’ve ever seen.

It’s hard to talk about making their mark in the game but not winning a premiership. What do people say when you ask them about Hindmarsh? “The guy that never won a premiership”. Not the “second rower who gave everything for his club only to fall short”. Merritt is a different conversation.

As for receiving more counselling and guidance than any other player in the NRL I don’t really understand that argument. The roosters saw his talent and were willing to spend hours to help him harness it? It’s not Latrells fault the roosters didn’t want to play him at fullback? I personally didn’t see Cleary make an appearance in all 3 games but he was repeatedly selected.

The biggest problem that I find after reading your response is that you’re believing everything the media tells you. Latrell isn’t a bad kid. As far as I’m aware (I’m taking a guess here) he hasn’t been charged with any crime and is a Dad. He was helping his hometown fight fires when everyone else was sitting at their computers “praying” for them.

I love the way you talk about GI because I love GI as well but I’m not saying they’re on the same level I’m saying that Latrell could become as good as GI.

I do feel as if this response is also full of emotion. Tigers fans feel hurt because of how Latrell didn’t even give them a second thought. Yes I agree that sucks but have you guys ever thought maybe he doesn’t want to play under a coach like Maguire?

Roosters fans feel hurt because they didn’t get their way for once. To be completely honest I feel zero sympathy for them. They’ve had the best two years that any NRL club will experience in probably our lifetime.

I do appreciate your response Silverdale but i can just tell it’s full of emotion and I’m not talking emotionally I’m trying to talk logically about why he would be the best fit at Souths.

Yeah, I take all of your points on board and I appreciate them but I can’t accept that everything I submitted was driven by emotion.

if we are going to put the emotion to one side, we end up with “final” offers being made ( by us and you guys) to a player who was pretty unkind to the club went out of its way to accommodate him and who contributed the most to his game, finance and success.

And he chose to do that while he was still under contract to them.

He was very public and indiscreet about it all. Rubbed it in their faces. It was sickening.

He’s on a contract holiday up and down the coast chewing into other clubs resources, if not trying to get deals...then seemingly trying to extort more money from the roosters who like all of us, are trying to plan. Wasting a lot of people’s valuable time.

He made a mockery of the roosters and their hard working staff. He let down all those people at the roosters who were arguing he deserved special treatment. Robbo is busting his gut training him up for super human efforts. He dumped on him. He’s also let down their fans who stuck by him.

He tweets that he’d like to stay. Oh f**k off latrell mate, you are just greedy.

They showed exceptional leadership in their response. That they are stuffing him around at the death is right. They are angry and hurt. They don’t owe him anything after his pathetic self indulgence.

I’m sorry but latrell will never be a g.i, primarily because he’s not got the same heart and football intellect. Gi turned up to Souths when you were still second rate and helped turn u about. He was courageous and selfless. He changed the game. Latrell will never be half the player g.i was. No one playing the game comes near him on many levels.

I understand your passion against roosters, but there is a level playing field in integrity issues, don’t let the emotion choke you either!

If Warne can hand over his baggy green, latrell can hand over a mouth guard!

Last edited:

250excf

Juniors
View attachment 35334

Yeah, I take all of your points on board and I appreciate them but I can’t accept that everything I submitted was driven by emotion.

if we are going to put the emotion to one side, we end up with “final” offers being made ( by us and you guys) to a player who was pretty unkind to the club went out of its way to accommodate him and who contributed the most to his game, finance and success.

He was very public and indiscreet about it all. Rubbed it in their faces. It was sickening.

He’s on a contract holiday up and down the coast chewing into other clubs resources, if not trying to get deals...then seemingly trying to extort more money from the roosters who like all of us, are trying to plan. Wasting a lot of people’s valuable time.

He made a mockery of the roosters and their hard working staff. He let down all those people at the roosters who were arguing he deserved special treatment. Robbo is busting his gut training him up for super human efforts. He dumped on him. He’s also let down their fans who stuck by him.

He tweets that he’d like to stay. Oh f**k off latrell mate, you are just greedy.

They showed exceptional leadership in their response. That they are stuffing him around at the death is right. They are angry and hurt. They don’t owe him anything after his pathetic self indulgence.

I’m sorry but latrell will never be a g.i, primarily because he’s not got the same heart and football intellect. Gi turned up to Souths when you were still second rate and helped turn u about. He was courageous and selfless. He changed the game. Latrell will never be half the player g.i was. No one playing the game comes near him on many levels.

I understand your passion against roosters, but there is a level playing field in integrity issues, don’t let the emotion choke you either!

Your entitled to your opinion mate but unless you know and are close to Latrell and really do know the real facts which I’m sure you don’t you just sound bitter and twisted let it go mate I can see it’s eating you up

Rabbits20

Immortal
View attachment 35334

I have an inside source passionate diehard Easts member in the know who has filled me in on some of the going ons and she’s been disappointed from how Easts handled this to an extent, both parties could’ve done better she said etc and definitely don’t believe all the media tells you, she said lots of it is clickbait. I’m not gonna go into it but let’s just say a lot happened behind closed doors and I know for a fact it was not all Latrell’s fault, that’s for sure!

Also from what I understand Latrell is a humble young man who just wants what’s best for his family and to me there is nothing wrong with that and it’s not all about money either as next two seasons he’s taking less to come to us. Latrell still isn’t fully mature but what 22 year old is? I know I wasn’t fully mature and sure had some immaturity about me at that age. I believe our culture and environment and under Bennett will be what’s best for Latrell, also let me say my source told me she honestly feels Robbo wasn’t the right coach for Latrell and that she thinks Wayne is the right man. She’s gutted by Latrell going but wants what’s best for him and the relationship at Easts was untenable with all the things that happened without me going into.

I’ll finish off also with the fact Latrell wants to play for Souths, there is no other club he wants to play for and the reason it took so long is he was waiting to see our cap position once we got the Sam cap dispensation back.

All the best to your boys in 2020 and hopefully you can soon make a couple of good signings and things will look up for you blokes.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Latrell Mitchell signs two-year deal with South Sydney

Latrell Mitchell is officially a South Sydney Rabbitoh following a dramatic 48-hours of back-and-forth negotiations with the Redfern club and Sydney Roosters.

James Phelps, The Daily Telegraph

January 12, 2020 5:42pm

The NRL’s most talked about deal will be done on Monday with Latrell Mitchell set to sign a two-year deal with South Sydney.

Having knocked back South Sydney’s first official offer on Friday, Mitchell agreed to become a Rabbitoh after receiving an upgraded deal worth an estimated $1.6 million.

Following a dramatic 48-hours of back-and-forth negotiations with Souths - Mitchell confirmed he was released by the Roosters with the club backing down on a threat to block the move.

Demanding a payment of $127,000 from bitter rivals South Sydney, the Roosters denied Mitchell’s first release request on Sunday morning and ordered the centre to report to Moore Park for Roosters training on Monday morning.

Mitchell was also warned that he would “breach his contract” if he failed to show.

A series of calls from Mitchell’s management team convinced the Roosters to drop the compensation demand and release the point scoring whiz from the final year of his deal.

On Sunday night the 22-year-old was driving back from Taree, where he spent the weekend jetskiing, and is expected to report to Redfern to sign his South Sydney deal.

After being wined and dine by Russell Crowe on the actor’s Nana Glen estate, Mitchell knocked back the Rabbitohs first offer on Friday.

While certain that he wanted to play for Souths after meeting both Crowe and Wayne Bennett earlier in the week, Mitchell was unhappy with the first up offer, reported to be worth $1.4m over two-years.

Opinions you can’t ignore. Watch Alan Jones 8pm Tuesday, Sky News. For more

Latrell Mitchell has officially joined Souths.

Mitchell agreed to join the Rabbitohs on Saturday night when a new and improved offer was made.

The Daily Telegraph understands Mitchell will on Monday sign a one-year deal with another one-year option in the club’s favour.

The Australian Test centre will have to set off a series of performance-based triggers for the second year of the contract to be activated.

It is also understood that Mitchell has been given a verbal guarantee that he will play fullback.

After an extended three-month break, Mitchell will tomorrow begin his NRL pre-season when he joins the Rabbitohs full-time squad.

Having not taken part in a NRL club training session since before the NRL grand final – 99 days ago - Mitchell will be racing the clock to get fit for the Rabbitohs round one clash against the Sharks on March 14.

Souths are confident that Mitchell’s extended break will not affect his season start.

Mitchell prematurely announced his exit from the Roosters in an Instagram post last week.

“I want to thank the Sydney Roosters for everything they have done for me and my family” Mitchell wrote.

“I cannot describe the way I feel right now but just wanted to let everyone know involved in my career through my stint here, I am so very grateful for you all.

“To the fans, thank you! It wouldn’t be a game without you.

“Nothing has been made official as of yet. But my stay at the Roosters has come to an end. On to the next chapter where ever that may be.”

That chapter will officially be confirmed as South Sydney on Monday.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I said never in doubt lol. Very smart bunnies 1 year deal and 1 year option in souths favour. It's performance based. Now it's up to Latrell . I guess you've heard the rumour about Packer?:sweat_smile:
What about Packer? That he’s becoming more involved and he wants to?.....

Mixo Joe

Juniors
What about Packer? That he’s becoming more involved and he wants to?.....
Russell Packer lol. There is a rumour that wests tigers have approached souths to do a swap with Gags. Apparently he's on 700k with them. Do we really want him?