What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Jamberoo

Juniors
Marvel Stadium in Melbourne has a carpark with 2,500 spaces.
MCG doesn't have a carpark though it opens up Yarra Park to park on the grass.

The train issues are the same, worse if people need to catch a V-Line regional train. The traffic in the inner-city Melbourne is worse than Sydney IMO.
Marvel is in the CBD and MCG/AAMI are walkable from tens of thousands of city car parks. All are also adjacent to major hub train stations. You can’t compare access to Melbourne (which is a planned city) stadiums to Sydney.

taipan

Referee
Marvel is in the CBD and MCG/AAMI are walkable from tens of thousands of city car parks. All are also adjacent to major hub train stations. You can’t compare access to Melbourne (which is a planned city) stadiums to Sydney.

Which is exactly the point ,about centralising stadiums for outer Sydney clubs.Weeknights particularly wouldn't work.And why it appears V'Landys is keen on retaining these outer Sydney clubs and secure Govt finances to assist their infrastructure.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They’ve been very strong in saying they won’t, their home is Olympic Park.

i don’t understand the love, it’s a sht club stadium and always will be. Then you throw in there is a state of the art purpose built club stadium a few kms away and it makes no sense why you’d choose Anz.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
i don’t understand the love, it’s a sht club stadium and always will be. Then you throw in there is a state of the art purpose built club stadium a few kms away and it makes no sense why you’d choose Anz.

As I mentioned earlier mate. We get a huge kickback that guarantees a profit for playing there.

plus our widespread membership base

adamkungl

Immortal
If they actually spent the little bit extra to make two modes, like they promised they would, then 45k wouldn’t be as bigger deal. (Although still a waste of money in my view)

All these packed games you talk about will amount to 2-3 a year, you don’t design stadiums for that.

As for your point about it being similar for ANZ only having a few big events, this isn’t the case. ANZ gets a lot more concerts booked at it than Allianz does.

The SFS and ANZ both hold about 2-3 big concerts a year
U2 was at the SCG (which would have been the SFS if available) a few weeks ago.

You're all still saying on one hand you don't design premium stadiums for a handful of events each year that will look shit for clubs games,
and on the other, we need an even more premium stadium for a handful of events each year that will look even more shit for club games.

I would expect the SFS to hold 8-12 sports games per year that clear 30k
2 Roosters premiership games
1 Sydney FC premiership game
1 Waratahs premiership game
2-3 NRL finals
1-2 A League or Super Rugby final
1-3 Internationals (Socceroos, Wallabies, Kangaroos)
+ The ability for Manly, Cronulla, St George to host a big event game in future

This is little more than a westie shoulder chip and whinging about the SCG Trust.

Frailty

First Grade

But the whole point was someone complaining about the SFS having a lack of parking. It is right by the CBD, now accessible via light rail, and they have plenty of parking availability around the area.

It seems people want to find reasons they can't attend, and that's fine. It's something sports/event organisers need to combat against.

siv

First Grade
Homebush has 10,000 car parks, train station with light rail and metro planned

SFS SCG only has 2,000 and there is less grass car parking than in the past. Thats why they need to plan for a second multistory car park on the north side which has better road access. Especially with the old SSG gold members parking transforming into offices and hotels proposed

Frailty

First Grade
Homebush has 10,000 car parks, train station with light rail and metro planned

SFS SCG only has 2,000 and there is less grass car parking than in the past. Thats why they need to plan for a second multistory car park on the north side which has better road access. Especially with the old SSG gold members parking transforming into offices and hotels proposed
Capture.JPG

This is just a quick search in the small area. It does not include parking available in the CBD where light rail access is easy and simple. Nor does it include parking in areas like Paddington.

bazza

Immortal
But the whole point was someone complaining about the SFS having a lack of parking. It is right by the CBD, now accessible via light rail, and they have plenty of parking availability around the area.

It seems people want to find reasons they can't attend, and that's fine. It's something sports/event organisers need to combat against.
That is true
When U2 had a concert there I doubt many didn't go because of lack of parking.
It will be similar when the NRL grand final is at the SCG
However, it just becomes an excuse not to go to a Roosters v Cowboys Thursday night game

Perth Red

Post Whore
The SFS and ANZ both hold about 2-3 big concerts a year
U2 was at the SCG (which would have been the SFS if available) a few weeks ago.

You're all still saying on one hand you don't design premium stadiums for a handful of events each year that will look shit for clubs games,
and on the other, we need an even more premium stadium for a handful of events each year that will look even more shit for club games.

I would expect the SFS to hold 8-12 sports games per year that clear 30k
2 Roosters premiership games
1 Sydney FC premiership game
1 Waratahs premiership game
2-3 NRL finals
1-2 A League or Super Rugby final
1-3 Internationals (Socceroos, Wallabies, Kangaroos)
+ The ability for Manly, Cronulla, St George to host a big event game in future

This is little more than a westie shoulder chip and whinging about the SCG Trust.

That's a very optimistic list!

adamkungl

Immortal
That's a very optimistic list!

Not really?
Anzac day is a guaranteed 1 for Roosters (it could be an 'away' game but for this discussion that is an irrelevant detail)
Roosters are fairly likely to pick up one more big crowd in a year, dependent on form and scheduling - Souths, the return game v Dragons, Tigers if they hit form.
Sydney FC v WSW is a big draw.
Waratahs v Reds is a big draw (I think?)
Roosters, Manly, Cronulla, St George will use the venue for finals - so a typical year would likely feature a couple.
One of Sydney FC or Waratahs are likely to play a home final in most years.
And at least one of our international teams are likely to play there in a given year.

It would be optimistic for all of these to come true at once, but certainly more than the 2-3 that other posters have claimed. 6x 30k events is probably a poor year.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not really?
Anzac day is a guaranteed 1 for Roosters (it could be an 'away' game but for this discussion that is an irrelevant detail)
Roosters are fairly likely to pick up one more big crowd in a year, dependent on form and scheduling - Souths, the return game v Dragons, Tigers if they hit form.
Sydney FC v WSW is a big draw.
Waratahs v Reds is a big draw (I think?)
Roosters, Manly, Cronulla, St George will use the venue for finals - so a typical year would likely feature a couple.
One of Sydney FC or Waratahs are likely to play a home final in most years.
And at least one of our international teams are likely to play there in a given year.

It would be optimistic for all of these to come true at once, but certainly more than the 2-3 that other posters have claimed. 6x 30k events is probably a poor year.

When was the last time Roosters drew over 30k for a regular NRL game at Allianz?
Like I said optimistic, you have got a lot of likelies. The reality is there is probably 3-4 guarantees (FCvWSW, Anzac day, a Union test match) and the rest are maybes if the games happen (Finals and other Tests).

adamkungl

Immortal
When was the last time Roosters drew over 30k for a regular NRL game at Allianz?
Like I said optimistic, you have got a lot of likelies. The reality is there is probably 3-4 guarantees (FCvWSW, Anzac day, a Union test match) and the rest are maybes if the games happen (Finals and other Tests).

The rest are maybes but the chances of at least some of them coming true in any given year are pretty solid.

Eg the last 3 years have hosted 2,3 and 4 finals at the SCG/SFS. Not all have drawn over 30k obviously, but I'm also counting on the new stadium and transport to push some improvement in attendance.

Roosters v Souths typically gets around 25k and there's a lot of room for improvement there.

I don't think 1 big gate A-League, NRL, Super Rugby each
and 1 NRL final, 1 other final, 1 international
is overly optimistic

Perth Red

Post Whore
The rest are maybes but the chances of at least some of them coming true in any given year are pretty solid.

Eg the last 3 years have hosted 2,3 and 4 finals at the SCG/SFS. Not all have drawn over 30k obviously, but I'm also counting on the new stadium and transport to push some improvement in attendance.

Roosters v Souths typically gets around 25k and there's a lot of room for improvement there.

I don't think 1 big gate A-League, NRL, Super Rugby each
and 1 NRL final, 1 other final, 1 international
is overly optimistic

You've gone from 8-12 30k plus games to 6 possibles lol. There are only 2 guarantees based on recent years attendances. Anzac game and FC v WSW. Everything else relies on certain clubs reaching the finals or scheduling of union international matches.

adamkungl

Immortal
You've gone from 8-12 30k plus games to 6 possibles lol. There are only 2 guarantees based on recent years attendances. Anzac game and FC v WSW. Everything else relies on certain clubs reaching the finals or scheduling of union international matches.

I've not at all.
My original post said I expect 8-12, not guarantee. My expectations are based on admittedly optimistic estimates.
I stand by predicting 6 at least.

For what it's worth, the 5 years 2014-18, the SFS hosted the following numbers of Premium sports (finals and internationals) + concerts.
Not all of the sports drew 30k but they are events capable of drawing 30k+. Call it goalpost shifting if you will, I'm an optimist

2014 - 7 sport, 0 concerts
2015 - 5 sport, 3 concerts
2016 - 6 sport, 2 concerts
2017 - 7 sport, 1 concert
2018 - 6 sport, 1 concert
^in addition to Anzac day, the A-League derby, and any other big club games.

Latest posts