What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

PJ

First Grade
1917. 7/10. Beginning was excellent, but lost its way in the middle.

Too many as if bits for mine, that and german troops making stormtrooperw look like expert marksmen.

Do see it on a big screen with a good sound setup as the visuals and audio are excellent.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The Gentlemen. Guy Ritchie sticking to the formula he knows how to nail, an entertaining crime caper with snappy dialogue, a convoluted plot and sharp outfits. Hugh Grant steals the show playing a slimy, slightly camp reporter. 4:5.

Last edited:

nöyd

Staff member
Road Trip

Haven't seen it in at least 10 years, fkn lol @ many moments

"Did you kill a cheetah?"

Tom Green and the snake

The old man with the talking dog

Tom Green's song - "the minor bird says ARRRRRRR!! ARRR ARRRRRRR!!! lol

Stifler getting a prostate jerking off from the nurse

Associating ancient philosophy with WWE (Socrates was just like Vince McMahon)

probably heaps more i'm forgetting

hineyrulz

Post Whore

Too many as if bits for mine, that and german troops making stormtrooperw look like expert marksmen.

Do see it on a big screen with a good sound setup as the visuals and audio are excellent.
Pretty much agree with this, really enjoyable and it looked amazing. But yes the Germans made the Storm troopers looks like the Clint Eastwood in a spagetti western.

Did lose it's way in the middle but it is a must see film at the cinema.

Reactions: PJ

Matua

Bench

Bloody good movie, but it had some terrible dialogue and a schmaltzy scene that would cause a meltdown if it was in a Spielberg film.

But the 'fake' single shot tracking and cinematography were brilliant.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Jexi - 8/10. Comedy that came out of nowhere. I like Adam Devine and he really suits this role. It's "Her" but done as a comedy.

Springs09

Juniors
Thought 1917 was brilliant and the best 2019 movie I've seen thus far, though yet to see Parasite or The Lighthouse.
Roger Deakins MVP for 2019, easily some of the best cinematography ever done.

The bit where they climb up into No Man's Land is one of the all-time great war movie scenes.

Should be close to Best Picture, if Irishman or Joker wins over this its a travesty.

PJ

First Grade
Bloody good movie, but it had some terrible dialogue and a schmaltzy scene that would cause a meltdown if it was in a Spielberg film.

But the 'fake' single shot tracking and cinematography were brilliant.

I do agree with all that, and said earlier it is definately a must see on the big screen, but

Was a bit yeah right when he was right by the explosives and trip wire and gets buried with no ill effects but some dirt in his eyes.

Really took me out of it when they happen to find a cow and a freshly milked cow at that with the non-spoiled milk sitting out there and no sign of any life anywhere around. Then they make a thing later of the Germans machine gunning all the cows but that one had survived. I am assuming the Germans had been through the farm as all the cherry trees were cut down.

To top it all then they run across a girl, with a kid that isn't her own, who just so happens to need milk.

That on top of how bad a shot all the Germans were, particularly the guy in the tower who had ages to line him up along a narrow path i.e. the bridge strut, and the getting shot in the head presumably saved by the helmet.

I get that the whole thing is supposedly from stories from his grandfather, so maybe they happened as such, but as they say on a film podcast I listen to just cause it happened doesn't mean it makes a good story.

Up until they got out of the german trenches and tunnels I was thinking this is a 10/10 movie.

The aforementioned bits, for me, really dropped it down a few pegs.

Springs09

Juniors
I do agree with all that, and said earlier it is definately a must see on the big screen, but

Was a bit yeah right when he was right by the explosives and trip wire and gets buried with no ill effects but some dirt in his eyes.

Really took me out of it when they happen to find a cow and a freshly milked cow at that with the non-spoiled milk sitting out there and no sign of any life anywhere around. Then they make a thing later of the Germans machine gunning all the cows but that one had survived. I am assuming the Germans had been through the farm as all the cherry trees were cut down.

To top it all then they run across a girl, with a kid that isn't her own, who just so happens to need milk.

That on top of how bad a shot all the Germans were, particularly the guy in the tower who had ages to line him up along a narrow path i.e. the bridge strut, and the getting shot in the head presumably saved by the helmet.

I get that the whole thing is supposedly from stories from his grandfather, so maybe they happened as such, but as they say on a film podcast I listen to just cause it happened doesn't mean it makes a good story.

Up until they got out of the german trenches and tunnels I was thinking this is a 10/10 movie.

The aforementioned bits, for me, really dropped it down a few pegs.

The only thing I agree with is the germans being such bad shots. .

They were right by the trip wire, not the explosives. The explosives were set to collapse the tunnel not to blow them up. And he had several ill effects.

The insinuation was that whoever was there had not long left, the same with the fire bucket in the German trenches. The possibility that the Germans were using the cow for milk and had to hurriedly leave and didn't shoot the cow isn't that far-fetched.

There is nothing coincidental at all about running across a survivor in a war town. Also, babies need milk, nothing 'just so happens' about it.

Coincidences (and not exactly unlikely coincidences at that) aren't flaws.

PJ

First Grade

They were right by the trip wire, not the explosives. The explosives were set to collapse the tunnel not to blow them up. And he had several ill effects.

The insinuation was that whoever was there had not long left, the same with the fire bucket in the German trenches. The possibility that the Germans were using the cow for milk and had to hurriedly leave and didn't shoot the cow isn't that far-fetched.

There is nothing coincidental at all about running across a survivor in a war town. Also, babies need milk, nothing 'just so happens' about it.

Each to their own, I found one of them to be a series of highly unlikely co-incidences, that really could have been left out with no ill effect, and lowered my opinion of the overall story.

Glad you enjoyed it more than I did.

Zoidberg

First Grade
I, Tonya. Enjoyed the 1st half building characters and relationships but actually found it slowed down too much after the incident. Good enough for a once off view.

axl rose

Bench
Midway- :thumbsdown: it's hard to imagine a film more cliched than Michael Bays Pearl Habour, but
Emmerich may have pulled it off. Overstuffed, tries to cover too much, from Pearl to the Doolittle Raid and finally the Battle of Midway. Just watch the seventies version instead or a classic like Tora! Tora! Tora!.

Last edited:

Matua

Bench

I agree with PJ, I don't think they needed that stuff in there to maintain the tension of the film and I personally don't think it added anything to the film. But let me repeat, I liked this movie, just not as much as you.

The annoying dialogue that I didn't go into earlier:
When they started moving it out it was clear that the Schofield was the experienced guy and Blake the relative newby and the dialogue reflected this. However, by midway through their journey this was mixed up and Blake was saying stuff that earlier scenes suggest would have come from Schofield.

Also, Schofield blowing up about Blake choosing him to come along and then getting over it was about as quick as Anakin turning to the dark side in Revenge of the Shit Movie. It was hilarious, I'm angry, no I'm not, let's go.

Latest posts